Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlagMortar

First Post
But that's not how Psychic Reformation works. The target can't donate extra XP. According to the power:
SRD said:
The manifester and subject split all XP costs evenly.
It doesn't really make any sense why a character whose player has a DM credit can "donate essence" but a character whose player doesn't have a DM credit can't "donate essence".

Rystil Arden

First Post
SlagMortar said:
But that's not how Psychic Reformation works. The target can't donate extra XP. According to the power:

It doesn't really make any sense why a character whose player has a DM credit can "donate essence" but a character whose player doesn't have a DM credit can't "donate essence".
Right, normally the target can't donate more XP, but that's my in-game explanation for the discount. If you'd prefer it to be separate from the power's manifestation, perhaps Zaeryl absorbs power from merging slightly with the essence of the target, and he is willing to give a discount for this privilege.

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
6 levels, eh? Then he'll make the same offer as for Juliana:
Ashnar has slightly more than 1368 gp. With the 525 gold from Tor minus the 375 gp material costs, she'll be barely over 1518 gp, so that works out. No problems XP-wise, Ashnar is far enough from the minimum for his level (which she couldn't go under even if she wanted since she is already levelled).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Ashnar has slightly more than 1368 gp. With the 525 gold from Tor minus the 375 gp material costs, she'll be barely over 1518 gp, so that works out. No problems XP-wise, Ashnar is far enough from the minimum for his level (which she couldn't go under even if she wanted since she is already levelled).
1500 it is then. I'll subtract 150 XP from Z and add the gold. Have fun with new feats (and skills too if you like). Hey, you can even get rid of Negotiator/Open Mind too at no extra cost! (unless it was your level 1 feat, in which case I guess you can't).

EDIT: Blargh, now Z has enough gold to buy the item he had wanted before. Ah well, if he fails a save by 1, I'll just have to laugh and laugh at myself :eek:

Last edited:

SlagMortar

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Right, normally the target can't donate more XP, but that's my in-game explanation for the discount. If you'd prefer it to be separate from the power's manifestation, perhaps Zaeryl absorbs power from merging slightly with the essence of the target, and he is willing to give a discount for this privilege.
Not really. I'm comfortable with a GM credit being spent on a character with the explanation being that the character gained the experience through some off screen encounter. As far as I know, encounters are the only way to gain XP. Whether that encounter happened in an actual adventure or an off screen adventure written into a character's back story doesn't matter to me, but I don't like having new ways of gaining XP.

Rystil Arden

First Post
SlagMortar said:
Not really. I'm comfortable with a GM credit being spent on a character with the explanation being that the character gained the experience through some off screen encounter. As far as I know, encounters are the only way to gain XP. Whether that encounter happened in an actual adventure or an off screen adventure written into a character's back story doesn't matter to me, but I don't like having new ways of gaining XP.
Hmm, it's an interesting thought, but that doesn't really cover what seems to be by far the most common usage of GM credits--during an adventure spending 1 or 2 when the PC is just baaaaarely below the next level after a big XP haul in order to make the level.

Of course, if you must phrase it as 'an adventure', you could even think of it as the PC of the player spending the credit gives Zaeryl an awesome tip of where to find a good adventure, and Zaeryl pays for the privilege. But since XP can be used as a currency in magic items and spells, I don't think we need to look at it as purely adventures completed. Certainly Zaeryl specifically views it as power, memory, and mental capacity recovered from what he has lost.

Knight Otu

First Post
Negotiator is a 1st-level feat, so even if I wanted to get rid of it, it's not negotiable (and I happen not to want to get rid of it. :p). I don't think I can get rid of Open Mind without losing the skill points it provided, so that one stays, too. I'm not going to touch skills - there may be detail errors in my older files with skill points spent.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Negotiator is a 1st-level feat, so even if I wanted to get rid of it, it's not negotiable (and I happen not to want to get rid of it. :p). I don't think I can get rid of Open Mind without losing the skill points it provided, so that one stays, too. I'm not going to touch skills - there may be detail errors in my older files with skill points spent.
Ah, I see. It looked like you were aiming at Archmage (admittedly just because you have two separate Spell Focuses, and I've never seen that before unless Archmage was the goal), at which point I would have guessed you would have preferred Skill Focus Spellcraft.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Oh, and are you sure you don't want to switch around skill points? Looking at the way you assigned them, you could save a massive amount of SP by just taking Diplomacy, Bluff, and Sense Motive during the Human Paragon levels. In fact, that saves you 12 points, which would more than cover switching away Open Mind for something else ;)

Knight Otu

First Post
Well, I am getting rid of a feat I never used, aren't I? ;)

Regarding the skill points, assuming my files are correct, the majority of the cc skill ranks were bought from level 1 to 3 (and I can't re-allocate the level 3 skill points if I don't want to get stuck with half-ranks). There are only 6 skill points that were put into cc skills after that. I suppose I could see if I can switch around skill points, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads