Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manzanita

First Post
orsal said:
Hmm... that means giving up Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, and Trap Sense. How many times up to now has he used those?

personally, I'm not opposed to letting PCs make flavorful retroactively changes to themselves. I think we've allowed this sort of thing before, though I can't remember when.

orsal

LEW Judge
Bront said:
I agree. It's one thing to do it at first level, or maybe even 2nd level, but it's a little late now.

I do think that Rystal's suggestion of Psychic Reformation would be an acceptable option though, as it's similar to rewriting feats.

You're agreeing with me? When I haven't even taken sides yet?

Since it doesn't seem that Razh has used the abilities to be swapped in any significant way, I'm leaning toward voting to allow it, actually.

Bront

The man with the probe
Manzanita said:
personally, I'm not opposed to letting PCs make flavorful retroactively changes to themselves. I think we've allowed this sort of thing before, though I can't remember when.
We voted no earlier when someone wanted to change to cloistered cleric from cleric, though admittedly that's a more drastic change, AND said PC would have died numerous times if that had happened.

I just want to be fairly consistant on it.

orsal

LEW Judge
Bront said:
We voted no earlier when someone wanted to change to cloistered cleric from cleric, though admittedly that's a more drastic change, AND said PC would have died numerous times if that had happened.

I just want to be fairly consistant on it.

"That's a more drastic change" is the key. Well, and that the PC also would have died.

The flip side is that we have allowed characters to retroactively convert something similar -- I forget if it was Skill Focus (Spellcraft) or Skill Focus (Knowledge(arcana)) or Magical Aptitude -- into the Academy Graduate.

For me, the big question is whether the game would have played out significantly differently if the new option had been taken all along. That's why I wanted to know how much use the character had gotten out of the abilities he's giving up. For a character who's already played several levels, I can't imagine the change from cleric to cloistered cleric being insignificant. The change of a totem is another matter altogether.

Trouvere

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
I've posted the adventure summary for Slaves of the Dragon in the appropriate thread. I'll repost it to the wiki tomorrrow when I have time to do the formatting (unless we need to figure out the problem of the Wanderlust Village first?). I still want to do a Volidar's retelling, but that may have to wait.
Having read the summary, it seems very clear to me that Grenton is in its 'original' location in the middle of nowhere and not 25 miles down the road from Orussus on a main route for travellers.

As to how the Aether adventurers have been able to travel between Orussus and Grenton in a single day not once but on five occasions, well... the Crux/Elayna Valsice is as good a reason as any. Or perhaps Halina had something to do with it.

Oddly enough, months ago I did have Keldar comment in passing that he had travelled from beyond Ravensdale on his level-0 way to Orussus, but had no memory of Grenton. This might explain why!

We should make a point of putting things back to 'normal' geographically when the Keldarites finally leave Grenton.

Velmont

First Post
orsal said:
The flip side is that we have allowed characters to retroactively convert something similar -- I forget if it was Skill Focus (Spellcraft) or Skill Focus (Knowledge(arcana)) or Magical Aptitude -- into the Academy Graduate.

Opale was also allowed to change Skill Focus(Bluff) for Natural Talent(Bluff)

Knight Otu

First Post
SotD summary posted in the thread and in the wiki.

Trouvere said:
As to how the Aether adventurers have been able to travel between Orussus and Grenton in a single day not once but on five occasions, well... the Crux/Elayna Valsice is as good a reason as any. Or perhaps Halina had something to do with it.

Oddly enough, months ago I did have Keldar comment in passing that he had travelled from beyond Ravensdale on his level-0 way to Orussus, but had no memory of Grenton. This might explain why!

We should make a point of putting things back to 'normal' geographically when the Keldarites finally leave Grenton.
Clearly the Keldarites are favored by someone or something. :D Perhaps Keldar found a shortcut through someplace else? Or maybe Rilithorne and Thyrin accidentally created a travellable ley line between their towers (and want to keep that somewhat secret)?

covaithe

Explorer
I might be forgetting something, since I haven't reread the thread to check, but I don't think it's ever been important to the story of NotA that Grenton be that close to Orussus. We could just as easily say that we've been handwaving the travel time.

Trouvere

Explorer
It hasn't been vital, exactly. It's just it's ordinarily supposed to be about 150 miles from Orussus to Grenton as the crow flies. At the start, we specifically reached Grenton on the afternoon of the first day's travel, and without leaving the road, and without ever seeing Allimon. When Samina dropped out, we argued about leaving Thyrin trapped for longer while we returned to Orussus to recruit a new cleric - and we left Galwynn behind camped under a tree - so it seems unlikely we spent 7 days heading home and 10 days heading back at dwarf speed, or would so blithely travel back to Orussus after we rescued Thyrin only to turn around after one night back at the RDI.

Far better to say that we had some deific assistance (which implies either that Keldar is greatly favoured of the gods :p or that someone thinks it's important Thyrin leave his tower and play some larger role in the world in the near future. Once we've done that, the geography can revert to normal, and the Keldarites can be horribly confused).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads