• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamsteak

Explorer
infax said:
A question though, what motivated the alternate experience table?

I was just thinking about how slow PbP is when compared to relative gameplay. But I did want it to become more difficult as things progressed...

It was just a toss out to get opinions. I'll probably modify the experience charts for the game specifically to accomidate how slow play by post can be. 75% seems to be where my heads going. Then again, I might drop that idea if it seems like this kind of game would be faster...

Creamsteak

Explorer
Shalimar said:
This has the potential to create excessive amounts of threads, each of which would be bumped to the top rather frequently, driving everything else down, It would be like having 4 or 5 or eventually 10 or more hiveminds going at once. Other then that, it sounds like it could be great, good luck with it, so long as it doesn't get obnoxious, if you can get it its own forum, all the better.

I was concerned with this as well. Actually, making a comparison to YB before it really slowed down would be accurate. We should keep it inside one forum so that the traffic around it is adequate, but if it begins to interfere with the forum itself I could probably persuade morrus to allow another forum.

But, I need to gauge the number of people first.

Also, I'm thinking that DMs deserve some kind of benefit from DMing. Just an idea, but what if DMs get to create an NPC for themselves that advances based on the efforts the DM puts into the game. This character would be part of the world, just not part of the adventures and trials of the player characters all around.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
creamsteak said:
Also, I'm thinking that DMs deserve some kind of benefit from DMing. Just an idea, but what if DMs get to create an NPC for themselves that advances based on the efforts the DM puts into the game. This character would be part of the world, just not part of the adventures and trials of the player characters all around.

I like that idea. It would let a DM who runs a game that finishes and start a new game have an NPC personality ready to go.

And it lets DM have the same kind of fun as the players, though in a slightly different fashion. :) Not only that, but if the DM decides to play for awhile, they already have a character available.

Thels

First Post
If I understand things correctly, there's more than 1 adventure on a time going on. So anyone DMing an adventure could still have his character be off on another adventure.

't would be a little harder for judges, but still doable.

garyh

First Post
I *love* this idea!

Creamsteak, this is a thing of pure genius! I really, really like this idea. I'll be a judge (it would seem kinda obvious for the PbP mods to judge and all anyways), and play as well if that's possible.

As for a seperate forum... I think if this takes off and does well, we could probably split it off into a Living Enworld forum. I understand Shalimar's concern.

EDIT: Oh, I'd be very interested in helping with world creation... maps, kingdoms, etc. I know the idea is to have PC's able to affect the world, but we probably need a framework to start with, too.

Last edited:

Thels

First Post
How about Deities? Would you use an existing pantheon or make up a new one? If you make a new one, you would only need several (1 per alignment minimum I think) and other deities could be 'discovered' later.

garyh

First Post
Thels said:
How about Deities? Would you use an existing pantheon or make up a new one? If you make a new one, you would only need several (1 per alignment minimum I think) and other deities could be 'discovered' later.

That's one of the things our Architect would need to consider. Your idea is a solid one, Thels, and would give a good starting point while allowing for player-created variety.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
I think it's a great idea.

I agree that it would at least eventually require its own forum, especially since I think you'd want more than just a single tavern as a meeting thread. I think it makes sense to have at least a common "temple" area, more than likely a thieves guild and a mages' guild, in addition to a marketplace, and the ability for players to create locations that don't exist.

I think it'd be a lot of work for the DMs. Having said that, I'd be willing to work as a DM in addition to possibly having a PC somewhere in areas I'm not dealing with.

Other recommendation: Have some kind of entry location for new characters to get them looked over by at least one of the DMs before they go into a play area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads