• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Meepo, I just didn't want to be the only guy running adventures, especially 3 of them. I could just as easily let someone else run it with the seed that I gave.
I thought that Brindle's conversation with Troi would have made it obvious that he thought the Crypt adventure might be a 'Pass on it' one. I was sort of throwing out a few at once, perhaps for successive adventures.

I can run it, though. I'll just tone down the original concept.

CS, I think we need a 'DM Recruitment/Forum for Living ENWorld' Thread. It might help keep the flood of posts in this one down, and would let folks that wanted to Dm know where to post their services as well.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Hell, we just need a forum. I've emailed both Piratecat and Morrus and havn't gotten a response. Really need those responses...

and I need batteries for my dead-as-hell phone.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Heh. This has been around - what, 3 days? - and we're already asking for a forum.

:)

But anyway, I do have a serious question, cs - since you said you wanted the feats at least one level prior to when the character would be eligible to get it, do you want us to do that with all game mechanic-related items? Like magic items, PrC's, and the like?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Well, eventually I'll have to compile every Q&A and all the rules into one thread for easy access. As far as the 'how long does it take to make a feat/spell/class',

Don't expect a deadline. Send it to the judges, talk with them about it, be persistent and make changes to make the item in question fall within the judges guidelines, and don't anticipate that the feat/spell/class will be OK'd at any given point in your advancement. It'll happen, if the material in question is proper, but it will take time both in character and out of character.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Hmm...

Do we have a list of judges floating around? I'm not sure who I should send what I've got to, so I think I'd just send it to all you judge people, and then you can tell me what you think. :)

CS - I was actually asking for more of an idea of how long before we want to use something, we should send it in. You said that we needed to have feats in at least a level before we would use them, so that's what I was looking for, but in regards to other mechanical elements. However, what you told me was still useful! ;):)

Creamsteak

Explorer
It's still just me, Uriel, and Garyh. I've adapted some other people as DMs or story masons, to keep things going and in line. Don't send anything yet, this project is NOT far enough along for me to start worrying about custom feats and such. The first concern I have is to get us a forum now, then for me to organize all the data necessary to collect and deciding how to best organize it.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Some thoughts on mechanics I've been wanting to bring up:

1) If you're going for the brief-adventure system (which I think is a good idea, and it appears you're doing for now), why not simplify it and give out XP based on each adventure? The judges can take a look and assign it an XP total for its completion (as a general guideline, I'd say about enough XP to level up, if you were at the lowest level that could reasonably complete the adventure), then maybe give the DMs a certain amount of bonus XP to allot as they will when the adventure is done.

I've used similar systems (level by adventure, or rather by accomplishment) in home games, and it works surprisingly well. Six-week adventures, at about a level apiece, will mean it'll take at least two years real-time to reach level 20 -- maybe too fast for some peoples' tastes, but take into account that that's bare-minimum. For the more average player, who'll need some down-time between adventures, and won't always be taking on the toughest stuff they can handle (as it's hard for anyone to know for sure), that would give a good 4-5 years of time to develop a character (levelwise.) That seems like a good timeframe for these boards -- if the game lasts that long, we'll have a handful of those really accomplished players, but it's going to be a very few who are going to be able to stick with it that long.

2) I'm with reapersaurus that there's some development to be done on the world itself. Perhaps put together a map, and let people fill out regions (a limit of one per person), with some decent amount of description for the area... Individual places can be invented and incorporated into the setting on a per-adventure basis, but if you start adding full regions in this manner, you'll end up with a confusing, muddled, misshapen world pretty quickly. (*cough* Forgotten Realms *cough*)

Of course, when I say this it also means that I have my own region/culture I'd like to see incorporated into this sort of setting :) Just an area about the size of Kansas, equally flat, with some monked-out nomads... And I'm sure that there are a variety of others with their own little pet Favorite Regions they've introduced into their own campaigns, that we could put together (with a little work and a lot of compromise) a reasonably realistic, fleshed-out campaign setting.

3) Also, I demand a Dwarven Pantheon, with a god of totally whooping up on everything included. One LG God (as in greyhawk) is just too bland for such a proud civilization as the Dwarves!

Creamsteak

Explorer
GP, I agree with most of that, but just understand that I'm not developing the setting yet. I know it's exciting, and I can't wait to get into it, but I don't want to be bogged down.

I'd be plenty happy if you started working on any things you want to have worked together with the setting, just don't start posting them yet. Things are really confusing right now as they are, and I'm trying to do a bunch of things here at my dorm at the same time. I really love this project...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads