• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
Another feat for consideration.
Feat: Swarm of Companions
Prereqs: Animal Companion, druid level (equivalent) 3+
Benefit: Instead of the normal animal companion, the druid (or ranger, etc) can have several smaller companions. None of the animals can be larger than size tiny, nor can they have a CR of greater than 1/4. These companions progress by the following table instead of the standard animal companion progression.

Two suggestions, if I may...

First, considering that there's now a Swarm template in the 3.5 MM, you might want to change the name of the feat to avoid confusion... (Though a real Companion Swarm feat that allows you to ally the template to an animal companion or familiar would be pretty cool too.) You could call it 'Menagerie', perhaps?

Second, to avoid confusion for Rangers regarding prerequisites (what exactly is the equivalent?), you might want to use ranks of a skill, or a particular Druid/Ranger only animal spell as a prerequisite, rather than the druid level.

Also, must all the animals be the same animal? Or can they be several different types? A flock of ravens and a pack of rats together, for example.

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Jack Haggerty said:
Two suggestions, if I may...

First, considering that there's now a Swarm template in the 3.5 MM, you might want to change the name of the feat to avoid confusion... (Though a real Companion Swarm feat that allows you to ally the template to an animal companion or familiar would be pretty cool too.) You could call it 'Menagerie', perhaps?

Second, to avoid confusion for Rangers regarding prerequisites (what exactly is the equivalent?), you might want to use ranks of a skill, or a particular Druid/Ranger only animal spell as a prerequisite, rather than the druid level.

Also, must all the animals be the same animal? Or can they be several different types? A flock of ravens and a pack of rats together, for example.

well, the chart is a dead ripoff of the current animal companion chart which uses druid level for everything. Rangers get an animal companion at level 4 with a "druid level of half the ranger level". So I was just going with what was already in the rules.

huh, didn't realize there was a swarm now... pack maybe? meangerie sounds kinda... useless. ;)

definitly not all the same animal. A common druid might have a couple of ravens, a bat and some rats for instance. (other animals that currently fit the bill are lizards, cats, and toads. A tiny viper without the poison would prolly work too...)

-kahuna burger

Creamsteak

Explorer
Originally, I probably said 75% each level (4=3, 6=4, 8=6, 10=7,12=8)...

But now I'm thinking about letting the dice roll on it.

Let me get back to you after I finish my math homework.

Macbeth

First Post
I think CS was talking about hp, not XP, Gnomeworks. So it would be 75% of the maximum for that hit dice, if CS goes with that.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Macbeth said:
I think CS was talking about hp, not XP, Gnomeworks. So it would be 75% of the maximum for that hit dice, if CS goes with that.

Ah, I see now. :eek:

I saw the 75% thing, and remembered CS saying something about that concerning XP, so I assumed that was it. Oops.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
DMG p 198 has a chart for fixed hps... It's essentially average hit points rounded down (but you still get maximum at 1st level):

d4 - 2.5/lvl (4, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3...)
d6 - 3.5/lvl (6, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4...)
d8 - 4.5/lvl (8, 4, 5, 4, 5, 4, 5, 4, 5, 4, 5...)
d10 - 5.5/lvl (10, 5, 6, 5, 6, 5, 6, 5, 6, 5, 6...)
d12 - 6.5/lvl (12, 6, 7, 6, 7, 6, 7, 6, 7, 6, 7...)

The reason you have the 0.5's there, is because you can't roll 0hps on a dice.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Creamsteak said:
Originally, I probably said 75% each level (4=3, 6=4, 8=6, 10=7,12=8)...

But now I'm thinking about letting the dice roll on it.

Let me get back to you after I finish my math homework.

D12=9, not 8. :D

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
CS (and everyone else), what do you think of this...

I mentioned this to the players in my (recently completed) game 'A Hunting Trip'.

I am proposing a Trading Post Thread.

Folks find things on adventures, mundane and magical, useful and er, not as useful.
I think it would bevery cool (and fun) to have a thread where players could post items for sale that they encounter on adventures. Those wishing to purchase them could 'Reply' with their offer and/or just inform a Judge as to the transaction.
We would have to impose a few rules about those with more than one character, as we don't want PC-A giving PC-B insane deals just because the same person is playing them.

In Game, we could have Joe/Tiggle/Whoever handle the transactions, for a fee, perhaps 5% of the money goes to the Red Dragon Inn.

Folks, let me know what you think.

-Uriel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads