Discussion of the LEW Panthon (and potential changes)

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Yup. Frankly, I think that a few of the alignments of the deities before I showed up are quite unusual.

Although actually, 3/35 is not much less than average. Nine alignments. 4/35 would be more than 1 in 9. 3/35 is less than 1 in 9. Those were the two most likely by random chance.
Any you'd specificly care to try to correct?

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
I'd like to make Ulura CN. Honestly, why isn't she already Chaotic? Given her portfolio, it makes very little sense.
I'd vote YES for that, grandfathering in any current clerics if they wish.

Trouvere

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
I'd like to make Ulura CN. Honestly, why isn't she already Chaotic? Given her portfolio, it makes very little sense.
Awwwwww. She does have that "Lawful clerics are the keepers of marriage rites and rituals and the aspect of Ulura that they represent is invoked in marriage ceremonies throughout Enworld" thing that seems to counterbalance the holy brothel and madness of love aspects. I was hoping to (one day) give Taelythenihel a level of (cloistered) cleric of Ulura, focusing on the neglected (as she sees it) "secrets and the night" portion of her portfolio. As Taelythenihel is TN, she'll have to make a shift to (ugh) CN before she takes a cleric level, which.. well, I'm not sure how it fits her.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I think that portfolio is way too large for one goddess, especially a non-Greater. Pretty much every real-world pantheon had two separate Greater goddesses for Marriage vs Love/Beauty, if they had marriage at all.

(Greek: Hera vs Eros and Aphrodite, among others, Norse: Frigga vs Freya, Egyptian: Isis and sometimes Bes vs Hathor and Bast, Aztec: Chalchiœhtlicue vs a huge number of love/sex/fertility goddesses, Celtic: none vs Aonghus, Aine, and others

just to name a few)

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Frankly, the more I look at her, the more Ulura just makes very little sense, as-is. Love deities are of huge importance to every society in the real world that has a mythology (name any such society--I'll show you an important love/beauty/sex goddess), and yet she's a demigoddess, the weakest form of deity, who tries to straddle two roles. It would make more sense if there were already some other Greater Deity who was the main goddess of Love and Ulura was just some minor cult, but it makes no sense to have her as our only love goddess as stands.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Frankly, the more I look at her, the more Ulura just makes very little sense, as-is. Love deities are of huge importance to every society in the real world that has a mythology (name any such society--I'll show you an important love/beauty/sex goddess), and yet she's a demigoddess, the weakest form of deity, who tries to straddle two roles. It would make more sense if there were already some other Greater Deity who was the main goddess of Love and Ulura was just some minor cult, but it makes no sense to have her as our only love goddess as stands.
Then perhaps A) she should be moved up the ladder in power (a few of them have already). B) Have secrets removed (I never understood that, and it doesn't even fit well in her writeup, and there are other gods that fit better with it), C) Explicitly state she's the goddess of passion (That overlaps another goddess, but so what?) and D) Create a marriage/hearth goddess.

Halina does deal with marriage to a point, so in theory she could count as your marriage goddess, but I think that's stretching it a bit to consider her THE marriage goddess.

Remove ads