D&D 5E Disintegrate Vs. Druid

epithet

Explorer
This is.......hilarious. First false statement in there. "if the rule unambiguously stated an outcome other than what they intended for it to say, then Jeremy et al would have rewritten it.". That's simply not true. There are a number of reasons why they wouldn't re-write it. The easiest being that they don't want to have to re-print all those PHBs. It's far easier to just rule what RAW says and then say what RAI is so that DM's can make up their minds. ...

To clarify, I meant that if the rule had obviously said something other than what was intended, it would have been rewritten before the PHB was published. In other words, it would never have been released in an obviously unintended state in the first place. Everyone makes mistakes, but Jeremy seems kind of OCD about that sort of thing, and would almost certainly caught the unintended statement if it were as unambiguous as you are asserting it to be.

Spastik

First Post
Are you unaware of how time works? The SA Compendium was written after the tweet (which he subsequently deleted) that you keep quoting. By definition, something written prior (the tweet) can't possibly be a clarification of something written subsequently (the SA Compendium).

LOL
You guys are funny! You do understand that the compendium was written after the questions were asked and not at the exact time they were asked right? They took these questions, collected them, then published them together. So to show how time works...

Jeremy Crawford
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford
The intent is that a druid using Wild Shape is disintegrated if the druid, not the beast form, drops to 0 hp. #DnD
3:10 PM - 17 Sep 2015
Joshua Maxman
@Orethalion
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford What happens if a wild shaped druid is reduced to 0 by disintegrate? Does he revert to normal physical form?
6:20 PM - 16 Sep 2015

September 17 does in fact come after September 16. 16+1 = 17 (although I did not check to see if the condition hit 0)

Also, RAW and RAI can actually be the same thing! Sometimes people can interpret things differently which need a clarification, as this does. Since the RAI is that the druid does not turn to dust he reworded the answer so people who take things literally can be satisfied (maybe, I don't know for sure). But if you take the twisted nonsensical version of disintegrate you are proposing that kills a druid with a full hp pool, then you can take his quote literally as well where he says druid hp and not shape hp and come to the conclusion that if a creature has any hp left it will not be turned to dust. I am sorry that I did not use correct grammar in regards to the word "then." You took my literal meaning of the sentence instead of seeing that I meant there are multiple instances of him saying what the spell does and that I wasn't actually trying to alter the flow of time.

No worries though! I will leave you guys to it now, spend all the time you like calling people names and bullying to try to prove your point of view. I see no reason to try to have a conversation with people who devolve to these types of things on the interwebs especially when they would never do so in person. I'm not a safe spacer or PC weirdo, but I do love the quote by Mark Twain, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” I feel the rule as written and interpreted is very clear by multiple posts by the designer and that should be enough, but alas it is not. Have a great time playing and I wish you all the best!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To clarify, I meant that if the rule had obviously said something other than what was intended, it would have been rewritten before the PHB was published. In other words, it would never have been released in an obviously unintended state in the first place. Everyone makes mistakes, but Jeremy seems kind of OCD about that sort of thing, and would almost certainly caught the unintended statement if it were as unambiguous as you are asserting it to be.

I strongly disagree with this. Mistakes happen and things get missed, even with someone like Jeremy at the helm. He's not perfect, OCD or not. He has since looked at and said that I'm right about what it says. He admitted to it going out as meaning something other than he intended.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
LOL
You guys are funny! You do understand that the compendium was written after the questions were asked and not at the exact time they were asked right? They took these questions, collected them, then published them together. So to show how time works...

Jeremy Crawford
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford
The intent is that a druid using Wild Shape is disintegrated if the druid, not the beast form, drops to 0 hp. #DnD
3:10 PM - 17 Sep 2015
Joshua Maxman
@Orethalion
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford What happens if a wild shaped druid is reduced to 0 by disintegrate? Does he revert to normal physical form?
6:20 PM - 16 Sep 2015

September 17 does in fact come after September 16. 16+1 = 17 (although I did not check to see if the condition hit 0)

Which part of 2016 comes after 2015 did you fail to comprehend?

Remove ads