D&D 5E Disintegrate Vs. Druid

Exadus

First Post
Me and my friend are at opposing ends of this debate. If a druid in beast form fails the saving throw for a disintegrate spell being cast at them, and is dropped to 0HP or less in that form, do they revert back to caster form perfectly alright/slightly hurt or do they crumble to ash?

Uchawi

First Post
Good Luck. We are all counting on you. Since it is a hit point determination type spell (wide open to interpretation), you will have to poke you eyes out to see the truth. But did you really poke you eyes out, or was it a mere flesh wound.

Simonb1

Explorer
Hi all,

According to Jeremy Crawford, on twitter, the dusting only happens when the Druids hit points reach 0.

I believe that this also applies to Polymorphed people as well, only because the wording is very similar.

Simon

Hi all,

According to Jeremy Crawford, on twitter, the dusting only happens when the Druids hit points reach 0.

I believe that this also applies to Polymorphed people as well, only because the wording is very similar.

Simon

You created an account just to tell us that?

I guess we should feel honored.

Exadus

First Post
Hi all,

Simon

Yes, but the HP the druid has in beast form IS the druids HP. It is not temp HP. The spell only says that if they fail the save and the damage would bring them to 0, they are dust. That is my logic at least.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, but the HP the druid has in beast form IS the druids HP. It is not temp HP. The spell only says that if they fail the save and the damage would bring them to 0, they are dust. That is my logic at least.

It was me that Jeremy responded to. He was careful not to say that the rules fail to reduce the beast to dust. The way the rules are written, the wild shaped druid is dusted. However, he did tell me that the intent was for the druid not to be reduced to dust. So RAW allows it, but RAI says no.

Exadus

First Post
It was me that Jeremy responded to. He was careful not to say that the rules fail to reduce the beast to dust. The way the rules are written, the wild shaped druid is dusted. However, he did tell me that the intent was for the druid not to be reduced to dust. So RAW allows it, but RAI says no.

So... The form would be dusted, the druid would then revert to caster form dead?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So... The form would be dusted, the druid would then revert to caster form dead?

Reversion restores form, but it does not anywhere say it restores life. Jeremy tole me that dust is not a change of form, so the druid would come back as a pile of human dust, elven dust, or whatever race he is.

Remove ads