• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disney buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion! More Star Wars movies coming!

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Disney is one of the best corporations to work for? Have you spoken with an actual Disney employee?
I've talked to several. Unless you are a die-hard mouse worshiper, the only good thing I've heard them say is that Disney pays on time. That's it.
Seriously. Unless you are on the East Coast. West coast employees frequently get screwed over by corporate decisions made in NY.

As for Clone Wars: The Animated movie and first 2 seasons were the best thing to come out of the whole prequel debacle. Even the music was better (am I the only one that got tired of the chorus? "Chor-US Chor-uuhhhhs. Chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus. CHOR-AAAHHHSSSS. CHOR-usssssss). I find it fun to watch the segments with Finelli (or whatever his name is--remember, I'm horrible with names). It seems like every time he says "And this was a brilliant idea from George," what he is really saying is "I'm sorry. I know this was dumb. Lucas forced it on us. I'm really, really sorry. It's not my fault."

Someone

Adventurer
For instance, the EU gives us such inane ideas as "Greedo was a bounty hunter, therefore his entire species has a culture based on hunting and collecting bounties!" or "Jabba had twi'lek slave dancers, therefore the twi'leks have a history of being enslaved and forced to work as entertainers and dancers!"

Generally speaking, everything SW tends to be this way; it's an endless repetition of what we've seen in the movies, exaggerated to the nth degree. All jedi wear robes because Obi Wan wore robes (maybe Obi Wan wore them because he lived in a desert?), all dark siders are called Darth, wield red lightsabers and shoot lightning, but perhaps Vader had a lightsaber because he was a fallen Jedi, it was red because it fits better his character, and lightning was just one of the powers the Emperor had and not everyone who's reached sith level 3 learns.

I know, every one of these examples has it reason in the canon and whatnot. The point is, it didn’t have to be that way, and instead of recycling the same ideas and concepts ad nauseam, they could have come with new ones. I dislike most of the EU because they try to tie with the existing material in a very superficial way, like a hypothetical Indiana Jones expanded universe were all archeologists wore fedoras. Jones' hat was cool, like lightsabers are cool, but when you abuse those elements they start becoming a caricature of themselves - and those elements are not the core of what SW or Indiana Jones are about, and EU material tends to miss those entirely.

Disney is one of the best corporations to work for? Have you spoken with an actual Disney employee?
Many, yes.
As for Clone Wars: The Animated movie and first 2 seasons were the best thing to come out of the whole prequel debacle. Even the music was better (am I the only one that got tired of the chorus? "Chor-US Chor-uuhhhhs. Chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus. CHOR-AAAHHHSSSS. CHOR-usssssss).
The prequel music was great. The fourth Indiana Jones movie was where I thought Williams was really phoning it in.
I find it fun to watch the segments with Finelli (or whatever his name is--remember, I'm horrible with names). It seems like every time he says "And this was a brilliant idea from George," what he is really saying is "I'm sorry. I know this was dumb. Lucas forced it on us. I'm really, really sorry. It's not my fault."
But they mostly made those "dumb" ideas work. Mostly what he's saying is, "that sounds really hard to do," and then they do it.
Generally speaking, everything SW tends to be this way; it's an endless repetition of what we've seen in the movies, exaggerated to the nth degree. All jedi wear robes because Obi Wan wore robes (maybe Obi Wan wore them because he lived in a desert?), all dark siders are called Darth, wield red lightsabers and shoot lightning, but perhaps Vader had a lightsaber because he was a fallen Jedi, it was red because it fits better his character, and lightning was just one of the powers the Emperor had and not everyone who's reached sith level 3 learns.

I know, every one of these examples has it reason in the canon and whatnot. The point is, it didn’t have to be that way, and instead of recycling the same ideas and concepts ad nauseam, they could have come with new ones. I dislike most of the EU because they try to tie with the existing material in a very superficial way, like a hypothetical Indiana Jones expanded universe were all archeologists wore fedoras. Jones' hat was cool, like lightsabers are cool, but when you abuse those elements they start becoming a caricature of themselves - and those elements are not the core of what SW or Indiana Jones are about, and EU material tends to miss those entirely.
Amen, brother. This right here is my biggest single complaint with the EU. It's shallow, superficial, it looks like Star Wars, but somehow feels all wrong.

Okay,

From reading around the web and every announcement I can find, it seems that what Lucasfilm has said about the sequel trilogy is as follows:

1. It is a new story, not an adaptation of an EU material.

2. The EU is not going to be completely discarded, and the continuity/canon people at LFL have been in consultation for several months now about the planned story to avoid any particularly bad contradictions in the sequel trilogy.

3. Some retcons and "from a certain point of view" retellings of established facts will almost certainly be needed, like were with the prequels, but the big major plot events over time of the EU will be followed (The Republic was re-established, Luke re-founds the Jedi Order and takes on apprentices, Han & Leia got married and had kids with Leia being a leader of the Republic for a while before becoming a Jedi herself, the Empire finally surrendered outright and became a tiny little rump state on the edge of the Galaxy, Luke got married, had a son, got widowed, Chewbacca died, ect.) All these big changes to the setting over the years had to be approved by George Lucas personally, and supposedly it doesn't contradict any of the really big continuity points in the story outlines that the sequel trilogy is working with. Heck, if they could keep Splinter of the Minds Eye from being completely non-canon, they can do some big work-arounds.

Based on this, there is a lot of chatter that it may be set after the Fate of the Jedi novels (the most recent novel series). Since that would mean it would be set several decades after the films, they wouldn't even have to re-cast (unless an actor refused to come back for another film).

In one sense, this is the best of both worlds, the EU is preserved (more or less), but for those who choose to ignore it, you don't have to be an EU fanatic and just understand that it's been a few decades and some things have changed, but what you'll need to know will be entirely within the film. I personally figure they may throw in passing references to some EU events as little easter eggs, akin to when Anakin and Obi-Wan chattered in Episode II about their past adventures together.

From a business perspective, maintaining the integrity of the EU is probably best for Disney/Lucasfilm. Saying that the huge, highly profitable mass of novels, comics, references ect. are now completely void (and thus much less appealing) is probably less profitable than not discarding them outright.

Also, from the end of the Fate of the Jedi novels, until the Star Wars: Legacy comics we have a roughly 85 year period of continuity the EU really hasn't touched, from about 40 years after the films until about 130 years after the original trilogy. Plenty of room to work in a new trilogy and everything relating to it.

Also, in what may have been a quiet set-up for a new trilogy, the EU novel Crucible was announced a few months back, set at the end of the main body of the EU, and billed as the final adventure of Luke, Han and Leia.

So, in retrospect it could tying up the established EU to put a stopping point where material related to the new trilogy starts?

Also, in what may have been a quiet set-up for a new trilogy, the EU novel Crucible was announced a few months back, set at the end of the main body of the EU, and billed as the final adventure of Luke, Han and Leia.

So, in retrospect it could tying up the established EU to put a stopping point where material related to the new trilogy starts?
I guess that depends on how long Lucas has been planning this sale.

I guess that depends on how long Lucas has been planning this sale.

Apparently a sequel trilogy has been in some level of planning since at least last year: http://www.eonline.com/news/359185/...her-about-new-trilogy-before-big-announcement

Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher were secretly told about the plans last year. Whether or not they are going to have a role is unknown, but they apparently knew about a sequel trilogy first, directly from Lucas. He also told them that he wasn't making the movies personally, they would be done by Kathleen Kennedy (the new President of Lucasfilm).

The more I look at the novel and overall EU schedule, it looks like they were setting up for this. As I said, they just ended the Fate of the Jedi novel series, with no big follow-on other than a single standalone novel with Han, Luke and Leia, billed as a big last hurrah.

Since 1999, the EU has had some kind of big novel series pushing later and later into the timeline. The Hand of Thrawn novels, followed by the long-running New Jedi Order series, which lead right into the Dark Nest Crisis series, followed by the Legacy of the Force series, and finally into Fate of the Jedi.

I'd actually noticed a week or so ago, right before the announcement, that there hadn't been a big followup to Fate of the Jedi, no new series announced or planned for the first time in at least 13 years, which made me kind of curious and was wondering when the announcement of something new would be, but I never would have expected this.

So yeah, this seems to have been in planning stages for at least a year, and apparently the continuity/canon keepers at Lucasfilm have been in consultation for "months" over it, and the last big EU novel before the sequel era was announced in July.

Good analysis of the probabilities. That's good news for you, who want C-canon to be retained as much as possible.

I'm still hopeful that the movies push out far enough ahead in time that it's a moot point. Then again, my preferred "homebrew" Star Wars is set several hundred years after Jedi so I can have time to wash away any detail, either in G-canon, T-canon, or C-canon, that I don't like, and assume for simplicity's sake that most of the rest of it is intact unless otherwise specifically called out.

Last edited:

As an aside and just for the heckuvit fun, here's a blog post I wrote a little over two years ago for what my ideal Star Wars setting post Jedi would look like. At the time, I hadn't yet seen the Mandalorean episodes on Clone Wars, so those details would obviously need a few changes to align it with the T-canon.
A little over four years ago, I was revisiting the idea of Star Wars and roleplaying (I had probably just gone through an episode of playing Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), but I don't remember that clearly.) One of the things that impressed me about KOTOR was that it managed to feel almost exactly like the Star Wars that we all know and love, yet was removed from it in the timeline by close to 4,000 years, and obviously very few of the details were the same; just the feel, the tone, and the broad strokes.

Rather than backwards, I'd like to go forwards in time, by a significant amount. I had said at that point 500 years, but I'd rather go even further; 1,000 years. Just to give me plenty of time to wipe away any E.U. stuff that I don't want, yet far enough that I don't have to explain it.

Anyway, here's a few of my ideas as they appeared back then. Keep in mind that this setting's conception was started just prior to the release of the Legacy comic book line; as that came out, I incorporated some of its better ideas into my setting too. After all, they were (in many respects) doing the same thing I was anyway.

1) Star Wars Legacy (the Dark Horse comic book series) has done a lot of what I wanted to do very well, so there's no reason not to borrow liberally from them, even though my timeline is sufficiently advanced from theirs that strictly speaking, I don't have to. I especially like the idea of the Fel Dynasty as an Empire Mk. II, less evil and possibly even good, albeit autocratic. The Imperial Knights are a nifty idea too.

2) Legacy did exactly what I wanted to do with the Sith Order; abolished the Rule of Two since retrospectively it proved to be disastrous when Darth Vader killed the Emperor and didn't ascend to the position of Sith Master himself and take a new apprentice.

Here's a handful of my Force using groups of note:

1) Imperial Knights: a militaristic organization that reports directly to the heir of the Empire. As in the Legacy comic books, the Empire is not necessarily evil, although chances are that few of us would enjoy living there. Jedi are mistrusted and rare in Imperial space.

2) Orthodox Jedi (Gray Marshals): a group of Jedi knights that is obsessed with reconstructing the order as it existed prior to the Jedi purges, and under the same tenets. Much of the data about how things were organized was lost, so this group also crusades throughout the galaxy for any information on how the Jedi were organized and operated during this time. They adamantly (and in fact, often violently) refuse to accept any criticism that the Jedi's organization and operation may indeed have facilitied Anakin's fall and therefore its own destruction. They see their mandate as imposing peace and order upon the galaxy as much as possible. As with the original Jedi order, often their methods are somewhat questionable ("aggressive negotiations?") and they don't always leave a happy taste in the mouth of those with whom they've dealt.

3) Skywalker Jedi : Luke did not start the Jedi order up to be like the Order his father joined. Luke was not dispassionate, he was compassionate, and his order was much more egalitarian, more open-ended in terms of who it accepted as recruits (it had no choice in the early days of recruiting) and refused to accept the dispassionate and exclusive attitudes that Jedi such as Yoda and Obiwan tried to convince Luke to follow, even as late as Return of the Jedi. Luke himself believed those principles were failed and did not inculcate them in his students. Skywalker's Jedi, as they are informally known, and the Gray Marshals have a rather tense relationship; both believing they are more deserving of the title of Jedi, while the other should consider itself some other tradition entirely. This order is the one most closely associated with the Galactic Alliance/New Republic.

4) The Cyborg Order: a group that saw General Grevious and Anakin Skywalker (he who brought balance to the Force, after all) as the ultimate prototype. Eschewing mortal flesh as a weakness, they replace their body parts with cyborg implants and surround themselves with droids. Although many cyborg designs are in vogue, a very popular one closely resembles General Grevious himself, with four arms (to better wield more lightsabers in battle). The detail of Darth Vader's own cybernetic body is lost to time, so many of the Cyborg Order have tried to reconstruct it from the little that is known about it, but interpretations of what Vader looked like vary wildly from individual to individual.

5) And, of course, the Sith. Reborn from the ashes of Darth Sidious and Darth Vader's ignominous defeat, the Rule of Two was quickly abandoned. Likely, the first of the new Sith Order was founded by up and coming pupils of Sidious or Dooku, or perhaps by early students of Luke's or subsequent Jedi Masters who found their way to Yavin, Korriban, or other worlds were Sith influence was still strong. Be that as it may, this organization closely matches that of the Legacy comic books (curse them for developing the Sith in almost exactly the same way I was thinking!) including a doctrine similar to the Rule of One and a fondness for red and black ritualistic tattooing and scarring a la Darth Maul.

In the very first Star Wars movie, the Force using traditions were significant, but not the only thing going on, obviously. From there on out it became more and more overtly about the Jedi and the Sith and has been ever since. Every once in a while, I wonder what it would have been like if it had remained a two-fisted, pulpish swashbuckling romance instead of taking on all these mystical undertones, but not for now (I've bought into the whole Jedi/Sith thing; I think it's great.)

But anyway, the Force users don't literally make the Galaxy go 'round, they're just one aspect of it. Here's some other organizations of importance.

1) The Empire: structured not unlike Palpatine's empire in administrative detail, at least, with similar ranks (Moffs, Grand Moffs, etc.) although lacking a Sith Lord at the head, of course. In recent decades, the Empire has been resurgent; from a low point of ruling just a few systems, it has swelled to encompass much of the Galaxy.

2) The Galactic Alliance: what's left of Leia's New Republic, as the Empire has waxed, the Alliance has waned. While still powerful, and controlling much of the Core systems (and still based in Coruscant) its a shadow of its former strength and size.

3) The Mandalorian Arm: The Mandalorians were a race who's culture and identity were in decline and in danger of disappearing completely before the Clone Wars. Individuals like Jango Fett were exceptional: nationalists who purposefully kept alive old traditions. Following the defeat of Palpatine and the second Death Star, many cloned stormtroopers had confusing or conflicting loyalties, as they were programmed to be loyal expressly to Palpatine and not to his government. Many of them, now deprived of their identity as Imperial stormtroopers searched for their identity by rejoining the Mandalorians, since their programming and training retained many Mandalorianisms learned from their prototype Jango. Flush with this new blood of combat experienced and highly motivated and actually rather traditionalist Mandalorian soldiers, the remaining Mandalorians underwent a nationalistic revival in the decades following the Galactic Civil War. Now, nearly a thousand years later, they still are a powerful, autonomous force in the galaxy. They don't command a lot of territory, but their armadas and troops are feared and respected throughout the galaxy. They serve in the armies of both the Alliance and the Republic at times, in a situation not unlike the Varangian Guard of the Byzantines, but only as mercenaries. Their true loyalty is to their own nation. Although no longer sporting the white uniforms of the stormtroopers, those uniforms were originally based on Mandalorian prototypes, and Mandalorian battle armor is now seen in nearly every major metropolitan area throughout the galaxy.

4) The Hutt clans have managed to hold on to much of the Outer Rim still, and maintain a presence not unlike that they had during the movies. Powerful enough to play differing factions against each other, but not powerful enough to move against any of them, they retain a seemingly endless dynasty over their region. Oddly enough, the one place that they have not managed to retain a hold is Tatooine itself. Since the Civil War 1,000 years ago, Tatooine has been swamped by pilgrims and crusaders bent on liberating the "holy ground" where both Anakin and Luke spent their childhood.

5) The Sith Empire: since the disaster of the Rule of Two, the Sith have adopted differing strategies; strategies that in the past led to some of their greatest successes. One of these strategies is openly ruling an aggressive theocracy, where reverence of past heroes and traditions is encouraged, and past Sith Lords are literally worshipped as gods. Although hemmed in by Jedi (of various fracteous orders, including more than those described here) and Imperial Knights, which keep their powerful force users from swamping the galaxy in a deluge of blood, the Sith Empire is still larger and stronger than the Alliance today, and its true rival is the Fel Empire. Non-Force using Sith citizens undergo a draft and almost all able-bodied citizens are required to undergo military service. They, in accordance with ancient tradition, are outfitted in faceless body armor, and the sight of Sith soldiers brings fear across the Galaxy. The Fel Empire is attempting a relatively non-aggressive "cold war" approach to dealing with the Sith, since it doesn't relish the thought of open warfare, where the outcome is certainly in doubt. With a little luck, the Sith have the strength to overthrow the Empire, and from there complete total domination of the entire galaxy. The Alliance, believe it or not, has tried to remain neutral, and even play the Sith against the Felians.

6) Certain large sectors of the galaxy are not ruled by governments, but by corporations. As with the Separatists during the Clone Wars, for defense the Corporate Sectors tend to rely on droid troops. Few Corporate workers are willing to put their life on the line for the Corporations. They are (somewhat uneasily) allied with the Cyborg Order, and provide many of the droids and cyborg enhancements that that group desires in return for protection from the more rapacious or expansionist Force using threats such as the Sith or the Fel Empires, but the Cyborg Order does not answer to the Corporations, nor consider itself under their sovereignty by any means.

Remove ads