• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disney buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion! More Star Wars movies coming!

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I'm more than nervous about this merger. I love the animated Clone Wars cartoon and find the Prequels* tolerable, but this looks like a marriage made in hell - Disney wants the money (greed) and Lucas is getting tired of overseeing Star Wars (apathy). I'm uneasy in the feeling we'll see it start turning out junk stories just to roll along the money machine.

* if you think the Prequels are bad, Star Wars has the biggest plot hole of them all - why the hell did the Princess go to Yavin if she suspected the Falcon was being tracked? I'd have told Solo to go to Dantooine or some other outer rim near-abandoned planet, paid him there and then taken another ship and Artoo (and Luke) to the rebel base - especially with his mercenary attitude.

greed, apathy,... just add corruption and you have the beginning of Batman Beyond.

*why go direct to Yavin? So that no other planet suffers the fate of being blown up? And because they know the ship is being tracked, and the Falcon is much faster in hyperspace than the DeathStar, they'll have time to form a plan, and they know that the Deathstar will be there, instead of who-knows-where three weeks later, when they have a better plan? Or worse, when they don't have a better plan. No, the only plot hole there is why didn't the deathstar blow up the planet Yavin and thereby all the moons (as seen in HISHE).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
*why go direct to Yavin? So that no other planet suffers the fate of being blown up? And because they know the ship is being tracked, and the Falcon is much faster in hyperspace than the DeathStar, they'll have time to form a plan, and they know that the Deathstar will be there, instead of who-knows-where three weeks later, when they have a better plan? Or worse, when they don't have a better plan. No, the only plot hole there is why didn't the deathstar blow up the planet Yavin and thereby all the moons (as seen in HISHE).

Could the Death Star's weapons, as conceived at the time the movie was written, blow up a gas giant?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Could the Death Star's weapons, as conceived at the time the movie was written, blow up a gas giant?
I don't know about whether they thought about it at the time the movie was written, but what has been said afterwards is that either it could not, or if it could then the destruction of the gas giant would have destroyed or seriously damaged the Death Star itself.

Edit: which brings to mind a follow up question: why did they have to arrive from an angle that had it blocking their view?

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
I feel a great disturbance in the force.

My initial reaction was that the announcement had to be a fake. Color me stunned.

That was my first reaction as well. A friend of mine posted it on her facebook page - I saw the headline and thought for sure it was some joke, a la The Onion.

It is also the perfect example of Lucas choosing to ignore something that he approved earlier.
If Lucas can choose to ignore any aspect of GFFA that he wants, so can we.
Lucas is well-known for saying that he doesn't even read EU books or comics, and doesn't know (or care too much) what their content is, though. For whatever that's worth. One of the frequent comments from Filoni on the Clone Wars is that he has to fight with Lucas in development for episodes frequently to get him to accept minor details of canon that already exist. Watching his commentary on the Death Watch and Mandalorean stuff was especially intriguing, because Lucas had always had his own idea of what Mandalorean supercommandos, from way back when they were introduced in the early development stages of Empire, and Filoni took the side of decades of C-canon stuff on Boba Fett that had been developed--thousands and thousands of pages of it in novels, comics and elsewhere. To use one example. There was a similar (although smaller) discussion on the reintroduction of Darth Maul into the Clone Wars, and the implicit backstory for him created with the introduction of Savage Opress.

Then again, as someone earlier said, he doesn't even shy away from contradicting his own movies, changing them, and whatnot. Despite the myth that he's built up over the years, he totally has not had a long-running story planned from the very beginning. As late as the second draft of the Empire Strikes Back script, Darth Vader and Annakin Skywalker were still two separate characters who both made appearances (Annakin as an Obiwanesque force ghost--Vader as, well as Vader.) Luke and Leia weren't initially intended to be brother/sister either, until as Lucas was going into the making of Jedi he realized that his cast and crew (not to mention himself and his family; his impending divorce no doubt played a role here too) were too fatigued to consider an ongoing series, and he needed to start tying up loose ends and plan on ending the arc after three movies. Instead of the 12 that he had envisioned at one point just a few years earlier. Making Luke and Leia twins neatly tied up several loose ends without having to introduce a lot of new material to cover it.

Folks who worked with him on the prequels have pretty much the same story; Lucas went into each of those with a very, very vague notion of what the story arc might be, and a few ideas kicking around on the back burner that he'd had for action set-pieces or cool scenes that he wanted to work in somehow, and from that they had to craft the story more or less from scratch.

Keeping the continuity straight for the EU is a Herculanean task already, when even the G-canon alone isn't consistent, or predictably stable. I 100% agree that there's no reason to feel bound to it for an RPG setting, and frankly, LucasArts should probably demote a lot of current C-canon stuff to S-canon, and make the C-canon corpus much smaller, tighter, and much less restrictive.

Of course, like I said earlier, my preference is rather than to ignore or invalidate canon, which tends to annoy some of the fans of the canon, I just prefer to remove myself far enough from the immediate sources of the canon that it's a moot point.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Then again, as someone earlier said, he doesn't even shy away from contradicting his own movies, changing them, and whatnot.

Just look at the changes on Vader's status from A new hope to Empire. In the first movie, he doesn't look that he's too high in the empire's hierarchy; it's evident that Tarkin is the one in command. Other personnel aren't even afraid of insulting him (force choking ensues), and he's at the front lines in positions of high personal risk - if Han had shoot Vader instead of, for some reason, the wingman at his right (or his left, I can't remember now) he'd be gone.

On the other hand in Empire he's suddendly in command of the entire Imperial fleet, can summarily execute and promote admirals and nobody objects when he orders flagships into densely populated asteroid fields.

I'm sure there must be a perfectly detailed rationalization of these changes somewhere that it's now "he was a popular character, it's natural that his role was increased in the sequels", but I don't care too much about it. It's not evident from watching the movies.

Yeah, but Tarkin isn't an Admiral, he's a Grand Moff! :)

It could have been interpreted many different ways, but Tarkin and Vader seem to be more like parralel equals who happen to be hanging out on Tarkin's turf, so Vader defers to him in the disposition of his own people--like that guy with the disturbing lack of faith, for instance. Without even having to invent details behind the scenes, you put Tarkin in charge of the whole Death Star project, and a major player in Imperial politics, and Vader's fleet in Empire is his own fleet. That would have given the Empire and almost feudal approach to it, if it had gone that way--with both of them having their own little empires within the Empire, and no chain of command that included both of them together at any point before the Emperor himself. And actually, nothing much in the movies themselves would contradict that, even now.

It doesn't really explain why Vader is on the Death Star during the time of Star Wars itself, though. No theory is ever perfect. Sometimes, I find the "what ifs" of Star Wars at least as interesting as the "what is." If George Lucas hadn't been an insecure writer who felt buoyed by the gloss of academia that applying Campbelling mythos and all that to the stories gave it, he might have stayed with his original intention of having the series be a more swashbucklery Flash Gordon-esque story... and we might have had a greatly different tone to the Star Wars saga than we have today.

And while I have to be careful of complaining too much, since Empire is by far my favorite movie of the series, I also have to admit that much of what it introduced into the series were the roots of the eventual diminishment of it, too, and that I might have liked the result even more if the original vision had been adhered to more closely.

Remove ads