• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disney buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion! More Star Wars movies coming!

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Tarkin being played by Victor Frankenstein/Van Helsing, and having Vader (the 'monster') working with him was an interesting allusion. Which I feel has mostly been ruined by having everything and their uncle explained to death in the background material.

I always kinda figured Vader was outside of the chain of command, and more like the Emperor's personal representative to Tarkin on the Death Star. He gets put in charge of the hunt for Skywalker, which is why he's in charge of a fleet in ESB (note: a small fleet, not the entire fleet, even if it does include the SSD), but reverts to his role as the Emperor's pet flunky in RotJ.

pogre

Legend
I can make only one guarantee about the new Star Wars film: The public will be delighted and hardcore Star Wars fans will be enraged.;)

Mallus

Legend
Not if it's good.
Call me cynical, but I'm not sure. I recall some hardcore Trekkies had issues with J. J. Abrams more-or-less wonderful Star Trek reboot.

Anyway... I'm happy Disney now owns Star Wars. They can can through an enormous amount of money and talent at the franchise, and have every reason to do so.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
That would be because it sucked.
Abrams actually wanted to do a Star Wars movie, but since that wasn't available, he tortured Trek to make it into something it wasn't. Worst of all, he used Kurtzman and Orzi as screenwriters.
Hopefully, we well never see anything that abominable again.

Orius

Legend
Despite the myth that he's built up over the years, he totally has not had a long-running story planned from the very beginning.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Lucas was making things up as he went along. I know he had that whole idea for 12 movies somewhere around the making of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, but by Return of the Jedi the reality of making all those films sunk in. So things got shortened and simplified such as making Leia Luke's long-lost sister.

As for the prequels, it's hard to know just how much Lucas had thought out from the start, but the novelization for Star Wars does briefly mention Palpatine's rise to power and the Jedi novelization mentions how Vader was badly burned by lava during his confrontation with Obi-Wan, and that was supposedly taken from a line in one of the scripts that later got cut. So those were probably ideas Lucas had had for a while, as well as Palpatine being responsible for tempting Anakin to the dark side.

Call me cynical, but I'm not sure. I recall some hardcore Trekkies had issues with J. J. Abrams more-or-less wonderful Star Trek reboot.

I think it was kind of "meh" myself. Another bland Trek villain, about half the classic crew came off as shallow imitations of the original characters that just magnified some of their known quirks (and Kirk was the worst offender here), and there's the whole matter of
Vulcan getting blown up
as well as the implication that
Romulus will suffer a similar fate
in the prime universe. On the upside, Spock and Uhura were handled well in the film, and to a lesser extent McCoy.

Remove ads