Disney's disastrous year

Status
Not open for further replies.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Although my players do not seem to have problems in D&D killing local guards and such, but generally only if they are asked to come with them and give up their weapons or swords drawn on them first. I should send children and grandma with a walker at them and see how evil my players really are.
Im always shocked how quick some players are to simply murder local law enforcement as opposed to work with them. Especially, when the character hasnt done anything.

nevin

Hero
Who you hang with and who you know are part & parcel with that birth advantage, in many cases. Without the advantage of birth, would you have ever met those people?
exactly the point. A few get to go to Ivy league schools, a few get lucky and baby sit for them, or like tom hanks be a doorman where cher and other celebreties live, or just meet em in a bar and become friends. but most don't.

nevin

Hero
Although my players do not seem to have problems in D&D killing local guards and such, but generally only if they are asked to come with them and give up their weapons or swords drawn on them first. I should send children and grandma with a walker at them and see how evil my players really are.
careful last time I tried something like that the city guard's, church paladin's and local thieve's guild went after the character. I'm not even going to write down how badly that character crossed the line. The Thieve's guild left his character tied up in a hotel room for the paladins. There are some people who've played in my games over the years that i don't think I could ever trust in real life when I see what is fun for them in a game.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
There is plenty to say about Elon Musk, but "I'm uncomfortable with simulating semi-reslistic violent crime" seems like a perfectly valid emotional red line for someone to have.
I don’t play GTA for this reason but do play shooters. It seems a step removed from mugging and other real life stuff I have actually experienced.

I also cannot get into murderous evil characters anymore either. Conquerors crossing weapons with soldiers/orcs? Sure.

Putting peasants to the sword? I don’t want to imagine that…

nevin

Hero
I don’t play GTA for this reason but do play shooters. It seems a step removed from mugging and other real life stuff I have actually experienced.

I also cannot get into murderous evil characters anymore either. Conquerors crossing weapons with soldiers/orcs? Sure.

Putting peasants to the sword? I don’t want to imagine that…
I think that's why I don't like BG3. Story is too dark and just evil to have fun playing it. All that real world Nuance naughty word. I get it in real life. I wanna be a hero and save people not make friends with Gith.

Ryujin

Legend
careful last time I tried something like that the city guard's, church paladin's and local thieve's guild went after the character. I'm not even going to write down how badly that character crossed the line. The Thieve's guild left his character tied up in a hotel room for the paladins. There are some people who've played in my games over the years that i don't think I could ever trust in real life when I see what is fun for them in a game.
I got a glimpse into that back in college, with a player who would routinely slaughter whole villages. It's how I found out that a "friend" was a narcissistic psychopath who routinely used people, who thought he was an actual friend. He also used company assets (supplies and equipment) to build his parents' retirement home, and to repair his cottage. I cut contact after I was invited to a housewarming for his new house and, when I got there, was handed a roll of phone wire and told to run him a couple of extra lines upstairs. I looked around and realized that everyone there was either a friend or one of his work subordinates, who were also all working on his house.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I have no idea what he is and isn't okay with in a videogame. And even if he's okay with some levels of criminal activity in games but stops short of shooting police officers, what of it? A lot of games draw the line there.

In the Dishonored games, for instance, you are a criminal committing crimes ranging from burglary to treason, but you get the "good" ending for stopping short of murder.

There is plenty to say about Elon Musk, but "I'm uncomfortable with simulating semi-reslistic violent crime" seems like a perfectly valid emotional red line for someone to have.
This response really seems to indicate unfamiliarity with this game franchise and its content. Playing the earlier installments routinely involves greater violence and criminality. If he's fine with simulated murder, assassination, aggravated assault, carjacking, and (can't remember if it's optional or core) beating up sex workers, it's at least strange for him to stop now and object to killing armed opponents simply because they're agents of the state.

To complain specifically about the opening scene of 5 is nonsensical in context (ie: to anyone who's played these games). That's why it's getting mocked. 🤷‍♂️

So, I don't like the man, but... you are just entirely wrong here.

If someone gives one reason why they avoid a thing, it is fair to take that as a major example. It is NOT fair to take it as an implication that the stated thing is the only item of issue, unless they explicitly say so.

Tweets should not ever be taken to deliver the entirety of any position.
You're missing the context of the content of the games. They are famous for greater violence and have been for a couple of decades now.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
This response really seems to indicate unfamiliarity with this game franchise and its content. Playing the earlier installments routinely involves greater violence and criminality.

To complain specifically about the opening scene of 5 is nonsensical in context (ie: to anyone who's played these games). That's why it's getting mocked. 🤷‍♂️

This.

In context, it would be similar to someone saying, "I saw the trailer for John Wick 4. I have to draw the line at this one- I didn't realize that John might kill people!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads