Disney's disastrous year

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevin

Hero
so the cycle is slipping more back to normal. Businesses are realizing that their customers not the business decide who spends the dollars and why.

Ryujin

Legend
Well, someone may not want to watch any of the John Wick movies, but only mention 4 because it's what in theaters and what people are talking about?

Honestly not trying to be any sort of apologist for the guy, but I have to say this isn't a lowlight of hisnposting history IMO.
It sounds like the situation here was the same. Musk was asked about GTA 5 because that was being released.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I think that's why I don't like BG3. Story is too dark and just evil to have fun playing it. All that real world Nuance naughty word. I get it in real life. I wanna be a hero and save people not make friends with Gith.
I have not read much about nor played it. My pals have—-i will ask them about it.

I am all in on rated R violence. I just have specific limits and I know they vary from others. I think that was my point about musk.

He can have double standards and weird standards for his line in the sand.

Mine have changed over time. We laughed long and loud playing an evil party in the old days…evil clerics ftw

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Did he say that he was OK with earlier GTA games, or is GTA too much for him as a franchise?

His post says he balked at GTA5. It doesn't say anything about whether he played any other game in this series. Do you know that he did, or did you just assume it?
He portrays himself as a (video) gamer. He's 52. The GTA franchise has been around for 26 years but really got big and famous in 2001 with GTA 3, which was controversial at the time (as has the entire franchise been, intermittently) for some of the vicious and antisocial behavior it allows or encourages the player to engage in (e.g. patronizing sex workers and then immediately beating them up to take your money back). Musk himself has stated publicly when asked about his favorite games that "I tend to like FPS with a story, like Bioshock, Fallout or Mass Effect", which confirms that videogames are one of his hobbies, that he's generally not got a problem with videogame violence, and implies familiarity with the genre in general. The original article notes that he's on record as saying that Saint's Row IV is one of his favorite games, which seems incongruous with disliking GTA, given that "The Saints Row series also involves an open-world exploration of a city with gangs and crime and was once criticized for being too similar to the Grand Theft Auto series."

If you wanted an explanation for WHY people would find the comment by Musk outré, the context and well-established content and reputation of the franchise would seem to be the obvious reason. Snarf's analogy of complaining that you find John Wick 4 offputting because there's murder in it is highly apposite. The franchise and its content are famous, and assumed to be well-known by anyone who likes that sort of thing in general. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, Disney.

Reef

Hero
He portrays himself as a (video) gamer. He's 52. The GTA franchise has been around for 26 years but really got big and famous in 2001 with GTA 3, which was controversial at the time (as has the entire franchise been, intermittently) for some of the vicious and antisocial behavior it allows or encourages the player to engage in (e.g. patronizing sex workers and then immediately beating them up to take your money back). Musk himself has stated publicly when asked about his favorite games that "I tend to like FPS with a story, like Bioshock, Fallout or Mass Effect", which confirms that videogames are one of his hobbies, that he's generally not got a problem with videogame violence, and implies familiarity with the genre in general. The original article notes that he's on record as saying that Saint's Row IV is one of his favorite games, which seems incongruous with disliking GTA, given that "The Saints Row series also involves an open-world exploration of a city with gangs and crime and was once criticized for being too similar to the Grand Theft Auto series."

If you wanted an explanation for WHY people would find the comment by Musk outré, the context and well-established content and reputation of the franchise would seem to be the obvious reason. Snarf's analogy of complaining that you find John Wick 4 offputting because there's murder in it is highly apposite. The franchise and its content are famous, and assumed to be well-known by anyone who likes that sort of thing in general. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, Disney.
Weird. Saying he’s a long term gamer who likes Mass Effect in no way implies he like earlier GTA games. I also like fps games with stories, and wouldn’t go near GTA.

Saints Row 4 is a little more confusing, but isn’t that the one that is highly unrealistic? I mean, the player is the president fighting aliens or something? I can certainly see someone being fine with that, but not with the real-world violence of GTA.

MarkB

Legend

Anyway, Disney.
So basically, yes, you read a whole lot into that comment that wasn't actually said or even implied.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
So basically, yes, you read a whole lot into that comment that wasn't actually said or even implied.
I have no idea why you're making this personal. I've simply been attempting explain why people might find the comment humorous or strange.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
This response really seems to indicate unfamiliarity with this game franchise and its content. Playing the earlier installments routinely involves greater violence and criminality. If he's fine with simulated murder, assassination, aggravated assault, carjacking, and (can't remember if it's optional or core) beating up sex workers, it's at least strange for him to stop now and object to killing armed opponents simply because they're agents of the state.

To complain specifically about the opening scene of 5 is nonsensical in context (ie: to anyone who's played these games). That's why it's getting mocked. 🤷‍♂️

You're missing the context of the content of the games. They are famous for greater violence and have been for a couple of decades now.
I dunno. If I was to highlight that kind of thing about a series of games, a non-optional opening scene of a game would probably be first on my list of talking points. It may not be the worst of the worst in the games but it’s an easily accessible example.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think there’s a tendency to take what people that we dislike say in the most negative light - especially famous people.

Is there something wrong with that? I've never played those games either, for the same reason.
But do you play other games with the same level of content?

If Musk hadn't admitted to play Saints Row, it wouldn't have been worth mocking, but since he did well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads