Disney's disastrous year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I have no idea why you're making this personal. I've simply been attempting explain why people might find the comment humorous or strange.

Because once people stake a position on a stupid internet issue, they can't back down.

Anyway, for those paying attention, the real notable thing is that Musk has continued his particular descent into a certain kind of identification. Note that he is fine playing hyper-violent games (as he has done in the past).

He did, however, find it necessary to say that he was turned off by a game that involved violence and the police.

I will leave it up to others as to why that is inconsistent with Musk's videogaming habits, but perfectly consistent with the other things he has been up to.

Reef

Hero
But do you play other games with the same level of content?

If Musk hadn't admitted to play Saints Row, it wouldn't have been worth mocking, but since he did well...
But again, he called out Saints Row 4, which is the ‘President fighting aliens in a weird simulation’, if I recall correctly. It may have the same style of play as GTA, but I have no problem understanding how people could be fine with a fictitious setting like that, but be against real-world violence.

As someone who would never touch a GTA game, I did consider SR4 at one point, due to that difference. I didn’t get it, but shooting aliens as the president would have been much more palatable to me.

Musk has done lots of stuff that should be mocked and called out. This just feels like trying to manufacture outrage when there are much better things to yell at him for.

(And if someone told me this morning I’d spend time today defending Elon Musk for something…)

MarkB

Legend
But do you play other games with the same level of content?
Same potential level, perhaps. I play Cyberpunk 2077, which allows for a lot of confrontations with police, but doesn't make them mandatory in any missions. Apparently a lot of work has been put into making the police responses more realistic - I wouldn't know, I've played through the game a couple of times without doing anything to provoke them.

nevin

Hero

Disney Has Merged Hulu Into The Disney+ App Today​

But again, he called out Saints Row 4, which is the ‘President fighting aliens in a weird simulation’, if I recall correctly. It may have the same style of play as GTA, but I have no problem understanding how people could be fine with a fictitious setting like that, but be against real-world violence.

As someone who would never touch a GTA game, I did consider SR4 at one point, due to that difference. I didn’t get it, but shooting aliens as the president would have been much more palatable to me.

Musk has done lots of stuff that should be mocked and called out. This just feels like trying to manufacture outrage when there are much better things to yell at him for.

(And if someone told me this morning I’d spend time today defending Elon Musk for something…)
There is no outrage other than haha also the lead up to SR4 is "the main gang has become so popular" I mean you could have just rolled your eyes instead of defending his take or laughed along with it.....
Same potential level, perhaps. I play Cyberpunk 2077, which allows for a lot of confrontations with police, but doesn't make them mandatory in any missions. Apparently a lot of work has been put into making the police responses more realistic - I wouldn't know, I've played through the game a couple of times without doing anything to provoke them.

The issue for many is that his take aligns with the moral panic that has historically surrounded GTA, as it's been commonly cited in the "violence in video games" debate.

OR to put it in RPG terms The 80s Satan panic because you're playing games with magic and that could lead you to the devil and devil worshipping or something i dunno

I mean this is a strange hill to stand on to defend the guy...but you guys do you

Reef

Hero
There is no outrage other than haha also the lead up to SR4 is "the main gang has become so popular" I mean you could have just rolled your eyes instead of defending his take or laughed along with it.....

The issue for many is that his take aligns with the moral panic that has historically surrounded GTA, as it's been commonly cited in the "violence in video games" debate.

OR to put it in RPG terms The 80s Satan panic because you're playing games with magic and that could lead you to the devil and devil worshipping or something i dunno

I mean this is a strange hill to stand on to defend the guy...but you guys do you
Yeah, I could (and should have just ignored it). But I guess as a 52 year old gamer who likes story-based fps games, but didn’t play GTA5, seeing someone laughed at as a hypocrite for claiming they were a 52 year old gamer who likes story-based fps games, but didn’t play GTA5 rubbed me the wrong way…

Yeah, I could (and should have just ignored it). But I guess as a 52 year old gamer who likes story-based fps games, but didn’t play GTA5, seeing someone laughed at as a hypocrite for claiming they were a 52 year old gamer who likes story-based fps games, but didn’t play GTA5 rubbed me the wrong way…
you do know that GTA V DOES have a story right?

Would it rub you the wrong if he had been mocked for how he builds an RPG character? Because he got roasted for that too https://knowyourmeme.com/news/elon-...ng-after-he-posts-pictures-of-the-whole-thing

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Same here: not quite 52, but GTA crosses the lien for me, and I suppose if one looked at other stuff I play it would be easy to claim hypocrisy...but some things cross a subtle line. GTA 2 was great back in the day, GTA 3 crossed a line. EA's subpar GTA 3 ripoff The Godfather was fine for me, though, as is Read Dead Redemptions. Personal lines to not cross can be weird, and apparently contradictory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads