Disney's disastrous year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reef

Hero
No offense meant to you, but that's the way a lot of bad actors get traction. Musk wasn't relating to you in any way, but by managing to find something you believe in and tying his personal brand to it, he got you to fight for him on the internet.

How many people sided with NuTSR early on because they dislike WotC?
So that was his ingenious plan? Say something relatable about video games, so that a bunch of people on an elf-game board will say he’s not a monster for not wanting to commit video game violence (while at the same time saying he is a monster for all the real monstrous things he does)?

Now that is something I’d mock him for…:)

MarkB

Legend
No offense meant to you, but that's the way a lot of bad actors get traction. Musk wasn't relating to you in any way, but by managing to find something you believe in and tying his personal brand to it, he got you to fight for him on the internet.

Failing to take every last statement a person has ever made as being poisonous garbage is not the same as fighting for them.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
No offense ment, but that's the way a lot of bad actors get traction. Musk wasn't relating to you in any way, but by managing to find something you believe in and tying his personal brand to it, he got you to fight for him on the internet.

Doesn't this also underscore an issue with over-criticism of the bad actors like Musk? Is Musk such a toxic man that everything he says has to be picked apart for criticism or sticking into us/them camps? I too am not particularly interested in the GTA's take on transgressive action. And while I suspect Musk is virtue-signaling/dog whistling to his people based on his phrasing, it's not worth wasting a lot of effort criticizing him over it in ways that bleed over into other people's objections to the subject matter.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Okay, so, you not remembering that the bad guy was the guy who ran the Red Room - the program that created the Black Widows - is on you, not them. It was clearly presented, and that this was important to the main character was telegraphed all the way back to Age of Ultron.
I was, perhaps too strongly, trying to illustrate how forgettable I found him. I didn't literally forget who he was supposed to be. He just wasn't very interesting.

Zardnaar

Legend
Tbf GTA V kinda takes it to the next level.

There's a torture scene for example that's not optional to progress the missions.

You coukd fo bad stuff in previous games but the graphics are bad and alot of it is optional. Eg hiring hookers then assaulting them to get a refund.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I was, perhaps too strongly, trying to illustrate how forgettable I found him. I didn't literally forget who he was supposed to be. He just wasn't very interesting.
This has to be at least in part an issue of the writing. He should have been more interesting and hateable. And Ray Winstone is a great bad guy actor. It does seem like a failure to really use the build-up we did have about Natasha's dark backstory.

So that was his ingenious plan? Say something relatable about video games, so that a bunch of people on an elf-game board will say he’s not a monster for not wanting to commit video game violence (while at the same time saying he is a monster for all the real monstrous things he does)?

It's a much less specific, but not as far off as you make it sound. More like "get people to identify with you with one key opinion and they will ignore your other misdeads." The central idea is the self-identity part.

Doesn't this also underscore an issue with over-criticism of the bad actors like Musk? Is Musk such a toxic man that everything he says has to be picked apart for criticism or sticking into us/them camps? I too am not particularly interested in the GTA's take on transgressive action. And while I suspect Musk is virtue-signaling/dog whistling to his people based on his phrasing, it's not worth wasting a lot of effort criticizing him over it in ways that bleed over into other people's objections to the subject matter.

"You can't play the game if you're not holding any cards."
Vs
"Strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

Reef

Hero
It's a much less specific, but not as far off as you make it sound. More like "get people to identify with you with one key opinion and they will ignore your other misdeads." The central idea is the self-identity part.

"You can't play the game if you're not holding any cards."
Vs
"Strange game. The only winning move is not to play."
I don’t know. Doesn’t seem like a great plan. The fact that Elon Musk and I might like the same toppings on our pizza isn’t going to to stop me from being horrified by his general level of toxicity.

In fact, I’d say that the tendency to force people into seeing others as only Good or Evil (with us or against us, etc) is the actual plan of a lot of bad actors. Which is why I ended up pushing back on this whole thing to start with. We can hate someone’s actions, without having to repudiate every single thing they do.

Edit: (Not to imply anyone here is a bad actor. I just meant it was a disturbing trend in politics these days in general)

I don’t know. Doesn’t seem like a great plan. The fact that Elon Musk and I might like the same toppings on our pizza isn’t going to to stop me from being horrified by his general level of toxicity.

In fact, I’d say that the tendency to force people into seeing others as only Good or Evil (with us or against us, etc) is the actual plan of a lot of bad actors. Which is why I ended up pushing back on this whole thing to start with. We can hate someone’s actions, without having to repudiate every single thing they do.

Edit: (Not to imply anyone here is a bad actor. I just meant it was a disturbing trend in politics these days in general)

I can agree with you that capitalizing on self-identity is not a trend I like. But it's undeniable that lots of groups from politicians to sports teams to use to increase affinity. And there's lots of real science that explains how and why it's effective.

But IMNSHO, saying "only a Sith believes in absolutes" is actually a slightly dangerous response to the psychology. Learning to recognize it is a much more effective strategy to fight it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, this thread has gone rather far afield.

Folks haven't really talked about Disney for some time now. I'll slide this closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads