Disney's disastrous year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zardnaar

Legend
What's this about? I'm confused if you mean you don't know about the Doctor Who failure or musk

Because as I see it @jdrakeh was asking specifically about the Doctor Who being a failure, which made him call into question everything else on the list.

Most of OPs points are recent events so I confirmed them.

I haven't heard anything about Dr Who or what was claimed about Musk.

I'm not sure how common the knowledge is and people don't generally ask for sources online so I provided some when asked.

I knew about most of them because I follow that type of news to some extent.

Apparently Disney has spent 2.6 billion on content I'm trying to find some more sources.

Nope it's 27 billion.

That wasn't me who was calling the rest of the list into question (and the poster who did say that didn't say that all of the OP's claims were false). I did ask for a cite re: the Doctor Who claim, though.

Most of OPs points are recent events so I confirmed them.

I haven't heard anything about Dr Who or what was claimed about Musk.
so looking back it seems @Waller who was calling the whole list questionable due to the Doctor Who claim, and that's the claim that @jdrakeh was wanting the citation on, not the others just the Doctor Who one.

Zardnaar

Legend
so looking back it seems @Waller who was calling the whole list questionable due to the Doctor Who claim, and that's the claim that @jdrakeh was wanting the citation on, not the others just the Doctor Who

so looking back it seems @Waller who was calling the whole list questionable due to the Doctor Who claim, and that's the claim that @jdrakeh was wanting the citation on, not the others just the Doctor Who one.

Wires crossed it seems over who said what. I was familiar with what was being referenced with behind the scenes stuff and Igers recent interviews.

Retreater

Legend
The reporting of their seemingly disappointing releases this year interests me as someone with a mind for creativity and pop culture. As someone who has in the past loved many Disney/Pixar/Lucasfilm/MCU projects, I hate to see it. I haven't really "loved" these studios for some time.
Before Mando Season 1, it was Return of the Jedi.
Before Thor Ragnarok it was Guardians 2.
Indiana Jones hasn't been to my liking since Last Crusade.
Even though Disney has paid a lot for the properties, maybe it's best to let them go dormant for a while - or at least significantly slow the releases and focus on drumming up enthusiasm. (The Marvels seemed to have little buzz around it, for example).
But, hey, I'm just one jaded GenXer, so maybe I'm not the target audience.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Wires crossed it seems over who said what. I was familiar with what was being referenced with behind the scenes stuff and Igers recent interviews.

I think you're missing the larger picture.

Short version- yes, Disney has had some issues. I've documented them in many of my various streaming/Business posts.

However, there are people who then try to turn these different (and unrelated) business issues into proof of their grander theories. By lumping in other things along with it that are unrelated at best, or unproven (or, perhaps, laughably untrue) at worst.

Let's take this list, for example (I have sorted the claims into categories in order to more easily discuss them)-

1. Lost $500 million in November alone. (spelling corrected)
2. Interest on their loans rising.

-I'm putting these two together as an example of moronic commentary. Disney released its 4Q 2023 Earnings report at the beginning of November. They did pretty well, overall. Well enough that their stock is up sharply since that date. So a few things- in terms of interest, most of the corporate debt at Disney is fixed-rate. Which means that the interest rate isn't rising (even assuming that the overall rates are rising). Instead, it was fixed at the time of issuance. The actual problem is in issuing new debt to fund other things (park expansion, Hulu acquisition, etc.). So what is the $500 million statement from? It's from an idiot youtuber fishing for clicks and claiming that the entire production and marketing budgets of both Wish and The Marvels is a loss. Which not only ignores how accounting for projects in Hollywood works, but also ignores, um, the entirety of the Disney corporation. This is beyond stupid.

3. Failed movie after failed movie, with a couple of exceptions.
4. They had to radical cut back on their planned release schedule.
5. The main stream media after years of kissing up to Disney is now trashing them.
6. Bad viewership for shows on Disney+.

-I'm putting these together as examples of either questionable or irrelevant claims. They've had a bad year in terms of movie releases, but that's mostly in comparison to the bizarre and unparalleled success they had in the prior decade. And yes, they are cutting back on scheduled releases, but that's in conjunction with the structural changes to the movies. As for "viewership" numbers- these aren't readily accessible and verifiable, and more importantly, they don't really matter. What matter is that they are nearing the point of "break even" on streaming, while maintaining a large base of subscribers.

7. Bob Igor basically blaming everyone from Bob "CEO for 5 minutes" Chapek, to Nia DeCosta, to Corona, etc...
8. Peltz's proxy war.

-These are true comments, but also ... whatever. First, if someone can't be bothered to spell Bob Iger's name correctly, you probably shouldn't be too receptive to the comments that they make. But yes, every CEO blames the prior CEO for the bad decisions. In this case, he does have a point- Chapek was the one who restructured and massively expanded the tempo of releases, as well as doing a number of things with the parks that led to increased short-term revenue but decreased long-term viability. And Iger was brought back to fix it. Which is a struggle. Is he overplaying the "It was all Chapek's fault? Sure. But that's what he should be doing. As for Peltz (aka, Perlmutter) and the proxy war- this is disastrous for Disney, but just because they want to monetize it even farther. If you are interested, at all, in Disney ... then you should be incredibly wary of these vultures.

9. They are going to have to put out billions more for Hulu.

-This is true, but also a good thing (at least in the long run). Disney+ is great for families, but lacks the content to appeal to others. Hulu has that. Disney always needed to acquire it. Losing Hulu would be a devastating blow, long-term, to Disney in terms of the streaming future.

10. Disney's boycott of X is starting to backfire, as Elon fans are starting to boycott Disney+ and Paramount+ in retaliation.

-Nope. This is a major clue that this is an ideological list, and not a business list. Look, the mainstream companies that were still advertising on Twitter prior to the most recent debacle was small. And it's a lot smaller now. Whether it's a "pause" or just discontinuing the ad budget, you're not going to be able to buy a car, buy most food, buy your iPhone, buy the drugs you need, watch any movies or TV, or do much of anything if you are really "boycotting" these companies ... because it's most of them. This is just an empty signal, signifying nothing. No one, other than a few certain people, cares about Musk driving twitter straight into the drain.

11. Dr. Who special failed.

And there we have it! How did it fail? Was it viewership? Nope. Because no one knows, except for the UK numbers, which were record highs. So how did it fail?

Oh, that's right. It had a major character who was trans, and that character was treated with respect. And if you think that's a failure, then you're probably not the type of person I am going to be taking advice from.

Ryujin

Legend
I think you're missing the larger picture.

Short version- yes, Disney has had some issues. I've documented them in many of my various streaming/Business posts.

However, there are people who then try to turn these different (and unrelated) business issues into proof of their grander theories. By lumping in other things along with it that are unrelated at best, or unproven (or, perhaps, laughably untrue) at worst.

Let's take this list, for example (I have sorted the claims into categories in order to more easily discuss them)-

1. Lost $500 million in November alone. (spelling corrected)
2. Interest on their loans rising.

-I'm putting these two together as an example of moronic commentary. Disney released its 4Q 2023 Earnings report at the beginning of November. They did pretty well, overall. Well enough that their stock is up sharply since that date. So a few things- in terms of interest, most of the corporate debt at Disney is fixed-rate. Which means that the interest rate isn't rising (even assuming that the overall rates are rising). Instead, it was fixed at the time of issuance. The actual problem is in issuing new debt to fund other things (park expansion, Hulu acquisition, etc.). So what is the $500 million statement from? It's from an idiot youtuber fishing for clicks and claiming that the entire production and marketing budgets of both Wish and The Marvels is a loss. Which not only ignores how accounting for projects in Hollywood works, but also ignores, um, the entirety of the Disney corporation. This is beyond stupid.

3. Failed movie after failed movie, with a couple of exceptions.
4. They had to radical cut back on their planned release schedule.
5. The main stream media after years of kissing up to Disney is now trashing them.
6. Bad viewership for shows on Disney+.

-I'm putting these together as examples of either questionable or irrelevant claims. They've had a bad year in terms of movie releases, but that's mostly in comparison to the bizarre and unparalleled success they had in the prior decade. And yes, they are cutting back on scheduled releases, but that's in conjunction with the structural changes to the movies. As for "viewership" numbers- these aren't readily accessible and verifiable, and more importantly, they don't really matter. What matter is that they are nearing the point of "break even" on streaming, while maintaining a large base of subscribers.

7. Bob Igor basically blaming everyone from Bob "CEO for 5 minutes" Chapek, to Nia DeCosta, to Corona, etc...
8. Peltz's proxy war.

-These are true comments, but also ... whatever. First, if someone can't be bothered to spell Bob Iger's name correctly, you probably shouldn't be too receptive to the comments that they make. But yes, every CEO blames the prior CEO for the bad decisions. In this case, he does have a point- Chapek was the one who restructured and massively expanded the tempo of releases, as well as doing a number of things with the parks that led to increased short-term revenue but decreased long-term viability. And Iger was brought back to fix it. Which is a struggle. Is he overplaying the "It was all Chapek's fault? Sure. But that's what he should be doing. As for Peltz (aka, Perlmutter) and the proxy war- this is disastrous for Disney, but just because they want to monetize it even farther. If you are interested, at all, in Disney ... then you should be incredibly wary of these vultures.

9. They are going to have to put out billions more for Hulu.

-This is true, but also a good thing (at least in the long run). Disney+ is great for families, but lacks the content to appeal to others. Hulu has that. Disney always needed to acquire it. Losing Hulu would be a devastating blow, long-term, to Disney in terms of the streaming future.

10. Disney's boycott of X is starting to backfire, as Elon fans are starting to boycott Disney+ and Paramount+ in retaliation.

-Nope. This is a major clue that this is an ideological list, and not a business list. Look, the mainstream companies that were still advertising on Twitter prior to the most recent debacle was small. And it's a lot smaller now. Whether it's a "pause" or just discontinuing the ad budget, you're not going to be able to buy a car, buy most food, buy your iPhone, buy the drugs you need, watch any movies or TV, or do much of anything if you are really "boycotting" these companies ... because it's most of them. This is just an empty signal, signifying nothing. No one, other than a few certain people, cares about Musk driving twitter straight into the drain.

And there we have it! How did it fail? Was it viewership? Nope. Because no one knows, except for the UK numbers, which were record highs. So how did it fail?

Oh, that's right. It had a major character who was trans, and that character was treated with respect. And if you think that's a failure, then you're probably not the type of person I am going to be taking advice from.
3-6 would also seem to discount that many movies may well have been approaching substantial completion, however, were unable to be completed due to two separate industry strikes. Rewrites and reshoots, at the very least, would have been put on hold.

10 is both a "Who cares?" and chicken-and-the-egg situation. The Elon supporters likely had it in for Disney for reasons other than Twitter, before Disney walked. I won't bother going into those reasons, here.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

If this isnt a so far behind in the race they think their leading point. If anything this thread should be the disastrous year for X formerly known as Twitter that is circling the drain. I am sure Elon fans will line up to pay subscription fees to save it though. :rolleyes:

You nailed it.

The reporting of their seemingly disappointing releases this year interests me as someone with a mind for creativity and pop culture. As someone who has in the past loved many Disney/Pixar/Lucasfilm/MCU projects, I hate to see it. I haven't really "loved" these studios for some time.
Before Mando Season 1, it was Return of the Jedi.
Before Thor Ragnarok it was Guardians 2.
Indiana Jones hasn't been to my liking since Last Crusade.
Even though Disney has paid a lot for the properties, maybe it's best to let them go dormant for a while - or at least significantly slow the releases and focus on drumming up enthusiasm. (The Marvels seemed to have little buzz around it, for example).
But, hey, I'm just one jaded GenXer, so maybe I'm not the target audience.
I mostly agree, but to be fair on some of those points; Star Wars and Indiana Jones had released movies that were pretty meh to me before they were acquired by Disney so its not like that’s Disney’s fault. It’s also entirely likely that I view the older movies differently because I was a child when I saw them and rewatching them now with those wonderful rose-colored lenses of nostalgia make it so much easier to ignore their faults compared to watching the later releases as an adult. So yeah.. I’m just probably not the target audience for a lot of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads