• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine Archer - Any ideas?

Shinsetsu

First Post
I was just going to suggest blessed arrow (weapon bless, which is just a combo), and arrow of disruption (which has already been mentioned), and perhaps arrow of smiting (another combo, if you have smite) granting holy smite and holy sword spells (for an arrow only) on a 1/day basis might work also- they're only 4th level spells :)

How about adding an arrow of holy symbol? I'm not talking about the 8th level spell, Symbol, but a weaker version that inflicts a morale penalty of -2 on the Divine Archers enemies, using the same radius and duration as the Symbol spell, and also , the symbol attracts the attention of all allies within 2 miles, if the arrow is shot in to the air as a signal beacon. This arrow can be used once per week.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Personally, I'm of the opinion that unless you strongly favor your Arcane/Divine class, the Imbue Arrow ability isn't really that useful. Considering you don't gain spellcasting levels when you raise AA levels, you're pretty much always going to be stuck with the lower level spells. This holds true whether it's area-effect or touch-effect. The only difference I see is that touch-effect spells would give you more variety.

Cause wounds spells would be fairly powerful, but you have to keep in mind that the spell has to be cast anyway, and you still have to make a roll to hit. The benefits are you don't have to be in melee combat, and you get a little extra arrow damage. The penalties are the spell is now susceptable to certain anti-arrow spells, and subject to cover penalties. Considering the loss of spellcasting power, I don't really see much of a problem with substituting area spells for touch ones.

LightPhoenix

One think to consider is that Cleric and Druid have better combat abilities like most arcane spell casters, so it might be that, if the qualify at 9th level for a divine archer (though I belive only the Cleric can do this, since the Druid cannot use Bows or Crossbows), they might already have some nastier spells to deliver...

Kosh

First Post
This is my first draft of a divine archer... I dropped the 'arrow' abilities and added in more 'nature' stuff...

I've dicided that imbuing touch spells isn't that powerful... Inflict Wounds is the only spell (chain) I can see as a problem, but even those aren't that powerful...

Also, this class is more Druid/Ranger than Cleric/Paladin... But I think any divine spellcasting class can be a member eventually...

(this is going to look pretty bad, me thinks...)

-----------

Divine Archer

One who hunts the forest with a passion for nature and the beauty of life and death may become a divine archer. Divine archers respect life and death as cycles in nature. They do not favor one over the other, and seek to preserve a balance. They hunt in forests and natural caverns for creatures foul that intend to shift the balance of life and death. Divine archers use magic to hunt almost exclusively. They often take spells that can be transmitted through arrows or that help them aim and damage targets.

Divine archers are most likely druids who have somehow miraculously lived long enough to meet the requirements. Sometimes divine archers can clerics of nature gods or rangers. No other classes can meet the requirements without delving into druidic ways (poor, poor souls).

Hit Dice: d8

Requirements:

Intuit Direction: 8+ ranks
Knowledge (nature): 4+ ranks
Wilderness Lore: 4+ ranks
Spot: 2+ ranks
Listen: 2+ ranks
Hide: 4+ ranks
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Spells: The ability to cast 3rd level divine spells
Alignment: NG, NE, or N
Proficient in Longbow or Shortbow

Class Skills:

Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intuit Direction (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Wilderness Lore (Wis).

Skill Points: 4 + Int mod/level

Class features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: All non-exotic bows, light armor, and shields.

Empower Arrow (Sp): Every arrow fired by the divine archer is magical. The arrow gains the enhancement to attack and damage rolls listed at each level. Arrows lose this enchantment one round after being fired by the divine archer and only function for the divine archer who fired them.

Imbue Arrow (Sp): The divine archer may place a spell in an arrow. Only spells with a range of touch may be imbued. Imbuing the arrow and the firing it together take a standard action. If the arrow misses its intended target, the spell is wasted. The arrow must beat the full AC of the target, not merely a touch AC. Thus the arrow deals its normal amount of damage.

Jungle Cover (Ex): While in natural surroundings, divine archers gain ½ cover. This does not inhibit the divine archer.

Forest Vision (Ex): Divine archers may ignore all cover penalties caused by natural surroundings.

Hunter’s Mercy (Su): The divine archer may choose to have his arrows deal subdual damage instead of actual damage. Any creatures damaged by these arrows do not feel pain from that shot. The divine archer may convert all subdual damage dealt this way to real damage as a standard action. If the target dies or is rendered unconscious by this damage, it dies instantaneously without pain.

True Sight (Su): Divine archers may ignore miss chance brought on by natural concealment.

Arrow of Life and Death (Sp): Once per day as a full round action, the divine archer may fire off an arrow imbued with either Heal or Harm. The save for the spell is 10 + divine archer class levels + divine archer’s Wisdom modifier. The arrow deals its normal damage after the spell takes affect.

------------Saves----------
Class Base Attack Fort Ref Will Special
Level Bonus

1 +1 +0 +2 +2 Empower Arrow +1
2 +2 +0 +3 +3 Imbue Arrow
3 +3 +1 +3 +3 Empower Arrow +2, Jungle Cover
4 +4 +1 +4 +4 Forest Vision
5 +5 +1 +4 +4 Empower Arrow +3
6 +6 +2 +5 +5 Hunter’s Mercy
7 +7 +2 +5 +5 Empower Arrow +4
8 +8 +2 +6 +6 True Sight
9 +9 +3 +6 +6 Empower Arrow +5
10 +10 +3 +7 +7 Arrow of Life and Death

Kosh

First Post
Oh, and forgive the druid bashing... I made this for a PC druid in my game... But I think druids are terribly weak... I've played a druid twice, trying different routes, but I still think them weak...

Besides, it's one of my high school d & d club's longest running jokes...

Hmm. There is one great problem with this... :
Druids are not allowed to use ANY bows.
They are allowed to use: club, dagger, dart, halfspear, longspsear, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling.
No bow in here... Hmm. Why no one mentioned this earlier - or did I? - Yes, I did... :)

Mustrum Ridcully

Chacal

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Hmm. There is one great problem with this... :
Druids are not allowed to use ANY bows.
They are allowed to use: club, dagger, dart, halfspear, longspsear, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling.
No bow in here... Hmm. Why no one mentioned this earlier - or did I? - Yes, I did... :)

Mustrum Ridcully

Well, we're in the house rule forum, right ?
So don't be afraid, do what we do IMC, drop the scimitar, take the bow :)

Chacal

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Kosh, interesting PrC! I disagree with you about the strength of druids, personally, but this isn't the place to debate it.

Presumably, if you took a prestige class like Kosh's that is centered around the bow, you receive an exemption on your vows. :)

Remove ads