Divisions in Gamers (sorta Rant)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Katerek said:
All of that seems immensely retarded.

Perhaps. But, then the whole human race is retarded. It isn't like only gamers behave this way. Sports fans do the same thing. Heck, whole religions and nations do this to each other. Any time you can divide the world into "my way/your way" or "Them/Us", you'll find someone who does it. You aren't really railing against gamers, so much as against human nature.

Wouldn't it be great if gamers behaved, on the whole, better than teh rest of humanity? Maybe not. If we did, then either we'd start thinking we're superior, or they'd start thinking we thought that, and the whole cycle would start all over again, now wouldn't it? :)

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Re: Re: Divisions in Gamers (sorta Rant)

Umbran said:

Perhaps. But, then the whole human race is retarded. It isn't like only gamers behave this way. Sports fans do the same thing. Heck, whole religions and nations do this to each other. Any time you can divide the world into "my way/your way" or "Them/Us", you'll find someone who does it. You aren't really railing against gamers, so much as against human nature.

Wouldn't it be great if gamers behaved, on the whole, better than teh rest of humanity? Maybe not. If we did, then either we'd start thinking we're superior, or they'd start thinking we thought that, and the whole cycle would start all over again, now wouldn't it? :)

My gods! Can you imagine if we were as bad as religions!

I have images of WotC zealots in White Wolf parking lots throwing rocks at the building, riot police storming in. Seattle would be like a gaming West Bank.

Each game following would have its own divisions and sub groups. Terrorist attacks on gaming headquarters would immediately be denounced by half a dozen gaming groups across the nation.

Gods I'm bored.

When put into such geo-political reference I guess we aren't all that bad, but dominoes are still lame. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's nothing wrong with asking for better out of people. Or even of hoping for it. But demanding? The only folks around here who can demand anything are the mods :D

Ulrick

First Post
Man...after reading this I'm tempted to post a parody of Chris Rock's stand up routine called "Munchins vs. Gamers."
Here's a sample:

"Who’s more hateful? Gamers or non-gamers?
Gamers! You know why? Cause we hate gamers too!

Everything non-gamers hate about gamers, gamers reeeally don’t like about gamers
There’s some stuff going with gamers right now. It’s like a civil war going on with gamers.

There’s two sides: There’s gamers… and there’s Munchkins. AND MUNCHKINS HAVE GOT TO GO."

:D

Ulrick

Wolfen Priest

First Post
Welcome to the EN boards, Katerek. I think this is the best place to be online. It's the only place I frequent, for the most part.

the Wizards boards have too many members, you can never keep everyone straight, and rpg.net, well... let me just say I think I know where your anger/disappointment comes from if you go there much. Honestly, for the most part, I can't understand why anyone would want to frequent that place. I've never seen more hostility and/or superiority anywhere in my life.

I have yet to see a seriously heated flame on these boards. Ribbing and disagreements, sure, but it never gets personal. It's probably because we all agree that d20 is why we come here, and I think it has to do with the fact that only a few real 'hardcore d20 gamers' tend to come here.

Theron

Explorer
Arguing on the internet is a lot like competing in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded.

Maybe it's my advanced age for a participant in this hobby (I'm 39 and I've been playing RPGs since I was 15 or so), but I just can't get all that bothered anymore about system snobbery/LARP vs. Paper & Pencil/Face to Face vs. PBEM. It's all good if you enjoy it.

War Golem

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Divisions in Gamers (sorta Rant)

Katerek said:
When put into such geo-political reference I guess we aren't all that bad, but dominoes are still lame. :)

Really, dude - what'd you have against dominoes? :)

Cheers,

-War Golem

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Katerek said:
... more than once I have noticed threads that go into immense detail on just how one game is better than another, and why anyone that play's a certain company's game is a lame-o.
Here? You sure? 'course, they crop up sometimes but, compared to other RPG boards around the 'net, we're pretty tame. :)

While I am on the subject, when did gaming become more than just a way to pass time? I have heard the phrase "true roleplaying" so often lately that it is about to make me chuck in my shorts. Gaming is just that. A game.
About everything's a game, dude - the difference lies only in the stakes. ;)

yes, I do find that story comes second after the action.
More power to you. :cool: Myself, I prefer to have both action and story. *shrug* On select occasions, I can even do without action, though - but never without story. Still, most often, I have both...

Also, it isn't like we are the ONLY ssub-culture that gets negative press. If you don't think that this is true ask ... those 20+ year olds who spend all of their time at the video store rounding up bizarre Anime tapes/discs.
This would be some good friends of mine, actually... :D

Jaws

First Post
LOL

Theron said:
Arguing on the internet is a lot like competing in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded.
I never heard that term before. I love it. Thanks for a good laugh.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

Remove ads