Divisions in Gamers (sorta Rant)

Tsyr

Explorer
Also, it isn't like we are the ONLY ssub-culture that gets negative press. If you don't think that this is true ask ... those 20+ year olds who spend all of their time at the video store rounding up bizarre Anime tapes/discs.

Hey... I happen to be one of those 20+ year olds who spend time at the video store buying anime.

And off ebay.

And downloading fansubs in IRC.

And renting it.

And buying the manga at borders and reading it.

So. Um. Yeah!

But, for the reference, I've never gotten "bad press" for having done so... I occasionly give it, though, when I'm browsing through the shelves and I have to step around two 13 year olds arguing loudly and profanely about who could kick who's arse, Goku or Vegetta (for the record, I'm a totaly anime freek... but I can't stand DBZ in the slightest)

plodnik

First Post
Playing role playing games without the role playing is just the same as playing a video game; why bother spending the money on the books when you just really want to spend it on a game disk.
Personally, I like story over action in the games I run, but that's not saying I don't have the action too. I think both go hand in hand, but without the story, you're just beating people up.
BUT, if that's the way you game and you have fun, more power to ya!

Anyone ever play chinese dominoes?

ForceUser

Explorer
I hung out with the "deep immersion storytelling" crowd back in the 90s, and we did all that LARPing and goth stuff, and treated our D&D games the same way. I lost touch with those folks over the years, and the guys I game with now treat D&D mostly as an adventure game. I had trouble adjusting, and quite frankly it used to drive me nuts the way they spent 90% of their effort on skills, feats, and gear, and 10% on character personality/history/attitude/motivation/etc. You have to just accept it or move on though, and other styles of gaming can be fun if you give it a chance :)

Allensh

Explorer
while I might have been a bit more diplomatic, I think there is too much division among gamers too. I used to be vehemently anti-Palladium game systems. I still won't play them but if others want to, I won't slam them for it I like the d20 system and I am tired of taking flak from other gamers for it.

Allen

Theron

Explorer
Barak said:

Now, I'm not truly offended by that, but that's because I never get truly offended. As a parent (step-dad) of an 11 years old boy with MS who competes year after year in the Special Olympics, let me tell you most of the athletes who compete in there are not, in fact, retarded. People who makes comment like that, on the other hand, are.

I apologize most heartily. Though not intended as such, it was an insensitive comment, and meant to deprecate the nature of arguments on the internet, not the differently-abled.

Shows what I get for posting without fully engaging my brain.

- Crawling back under my rock TB

Remove ads