Divisions in Gamers (sorta Rant)

Barak

First Post
Arguing on the internet is a lot like competing in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded

Now, I'm not truly offended by that, but that's because I never get truly offended. As a parent (step-dad) of an 11 years old boy with MS who competes year after year in the Special Olympics, let me tell you most of the athletes who compete in there are not, in fact, retarded. People who makes comment like that, on the other hand, are.

alsih2o

First Post
barak, welcome to the boards...and please excuse the insensitivy you are seeing from some folk.

i volunteer yearly at the SO and i assure you that most of the posts on these boards are above this kind of thing

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Nice Special Olympics reference, it reminds me of a joke that a performer friend of mine tells on stage.

Yeah I think the divisiveness of gamers sub-sub-cultures is definately more prevalent on other boards than it is here. What ignited me was the Harniacs post, ah well.

It doesn't take much I guess.

Some of the current climate reminds me of the days immediately preceding the arrival of third edition. There was alot of talk regarding Gygaxian influenced DnD versus non-Gygaxian influenced DnD. There seemed to be alot of "truists" who wouldn't touch anything with Gary's stamp of approval. You don't see much of that anymore, and I think that is primarily due to the outbreak of d20 related material.

AFAIAC d20 is the most ingenious thing to come around in ages, but I still play GURPS (who some say is a direct ancestor), and occasionally M:tG.

I am glad that we have such a wonderfully diverse selection of games and systems to choose from. It makes for an interesting hobby, one that I will be involved with for a long time to come, I am sure.

Oh, and I don't have anything against Dominoes, I use them as mini stand-ins whenever I need something with a face of 5x10; Chinese Checkers though, those have to go. :D

Maraxle

First Post
I hate gamers that hate other gamers. hmmm... Wait a minute... ;)

Actually, I just wanted to let Katerek know that I agree. Everyone should have fun and do what they like. I try my best to structure my campaigns in this way. Some people would laugh if they saw the way I modify/ignore certain rules. "That's not true, D&D," some might say. You know what? I don't care. As DM, it is my duty to make sure the players are having fun. For example, if my players' eyes glaze over every time initiative is calculated, I'm looking for a new way to decide initiative. If they want more/less/different magic in the world, then I'll figure out a way to integrate it. If someone else wants to look down on me for doing that, let them. As long as we're having fun, we'll play the way we want.

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
BTW If there are people who are offended by the Special Olympics thing, as the starter (?) of this thread I apologize for using the word retarded out of context. I meant no more offense than when I said Dominoes are of the devil.

I poke fun at everything, including my own weird habits and hobbies. It isn't meant as challenge nor insult. The Special Olympics are a wonderful thing I am sure. I know how getting through life while facing enormous diversity can be tough, for many years my uncle walked with a cane before finally being confined to a wheel chair. He still referred to himself as the Family Gimp, it is from him I get my warped since of humor.

Barak

First Post
Heh thanks for the welcome, although I'm not -truly- new. Have been around since the days Eric Noah owned the board, with his grandma as the moderator. Well, kinda. Just never bothered to register until now, since I'm usually busy at another board. But I lurk a bit.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Just FYI: That "special olympics" line crops up on the 'net every now and then - usually written over a picture of - you guessed it - a kid running in the special olympics.
Myself, I think that this is a quite crude sense of humor, though... :rolleyes:

But anyway - let's not debate the relative "merits" of it here but rather keep this thread on topic. :)

And Barak: Eric still 0wnX0rs the boards! :cool:

Barak

First Post
Well technically, at least, my good friend Morrus owns the board, although Mr Noah still owns then in spirit, mayhaps (minus fake hacker speak). :) But you are right, I kinda tried to hijack this thread, even though it was unconsciously.

I myself have played a -lot- of different systems, and rarely have I ran into one I didn't like. I still have great memories of AD&D 2nd edition. I will love WFRP forever. Original settings for GURPS are great (I do not usually like their take on existing settings). WW have great stuff. 3E is now my game of choice. What I -really- like is roleplaying, after all, and I can do that in any setting.

kingpaul

First Post
Theron said:
Arguing on the internet is a lot like competing in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded.
Wow! :eek:
I wasn't expecting comments like that here.

Further, as someone who's volunteered at SO events, its not only for those who have mental disabilities.

Last edited:

Remove ads