• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Aids

ronin

Explorer
I will be running the STAP from Dungeon magazine in about 2 months or so and wanted to get some opinions on some of the various DM tools that are available. I have purchased a laptop since my last campaign and a projector as well. I plan to use the projector to display the maps from the PDFs available on the Paizo site. I own Fantasy Grounds (purchased for an online game that never got off the ground) and was thinking of using that program to display the maps. I know there are other systems available but I don't have any experience with any of them. I'll start with some questions and I am sure the answers I receive may prompt other questions.

1. Is there an easier/ better program than Fantasy Grounds to display the maps? I'll be honest I haven't spent much time learning how to use it up to this point.
2. How do most electronic DM tools work? I figure I'll have to enter the PCs but what about the NPCs? Entering all of them would be very time consuming.
3. If I use a program does it keep track of the PCs current status?
4. If 3 is a yes does that mean I have to use the die roller supplied with the program or can I still roll dice?

That's about all I can think of for now. I'll let you know in advance I am not a computer programmer by any means but I do use a computer daily. I don't mind spending a few bucks on a program if there is one out there that fits the bill. Ideally this program will do the displaying and the miscellaneous tracking as well. Perhaps Fantasy Grounds is what I am looking for but I just wanted some opinions from those who are already doing what I intend to do.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The Lost Muse

First Post
I ran a campaign using DM Genie, and after getting used to it found it an excellent resource (however, I did have to enter NPC stats manually...) I haven't used it for a few years though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads