• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM as Facilitator or as Adversary?

Is the DM meant to be more of a Facilitator or an Adversary?

• Facilitator

Votes: 164 91.6%
  • Adversary

Votes: 15 8.4%

Hjorimir

Adventurer
What works for me is being a facilitator that appears to be an adversary. This really makes the players appreciate their victories.

Hussar

Legend
I didn't vote.

I see the DM as attempting to be as absolutely impartial as possible. If the PC's die, fine, if the live, fine. Any result is a good one. In the same way that a ref in a soccer game should be impartial while still moving the game forward and keeping the pace high.

buzz

Adventurer
Hussar said:
I see the DM as attempting to be as absolutely impartial as possible. If the PC's die, fine, if the live, fine. Any result is a good one. In the same way that a ref in a soccer game should be impartial while still moving the game forward and keeping the pace high.
I think that "facilitator" still covers this, though. I mean, we're not talking about a DM so impartial that they don't care if the group ends up playing or not, right? :) At the very least, the DM has prepared things to do, and reacts to player actions, which facilitates play.

Treebore

First Post
diaglo said:
wow. those are setting pieces. not the DM/referee.

obstacles to overcome are setting pieces.

wow.

So how are you saying they get there? If not by the DM then who is rsponsible for them being there? Who created the adversity? Someone is responsible for the adversity in a good adventure. I thought it was the DM until I read this thread. Actually, I still do think the DM is responsible for the adversity in an adventure. I'm just dumbfounded how so many are trying to disconnect themselves from that responsibility.

So "Wow" to the denial of being responsible for the adversity in the game. Guess it places and plays itself out on automatic mode. No DM creativity or responsibility what so ever.

Yeah, WOW!

Mallus

Legend
Treebore said:
So "Wow" to the denial of being responsible for the adversity in the game.
Let me try this again. You can be 'responsible for the adversity' and not be an 'adversary'. An Army drill instructor is responsible for piling adversity onto his recruits. He's not their adversary however, he's an instructor. Its done for their benefit (well, theirs and the Army's). He's not out to 'beat' them, unlike, say, an enemy soldier during a time of war, who is rightly considered an adversary.

Likewise, a DM piles adversity onto his players. But he's not to beat them, he's trying to provide them with an enjoyable gaming experience.

If you don't like my drill instructor analogy, check out my response to buzz re: the chess vs. D&D.

Sunderstone

First Post
IMO.... more of a Facilitator. To me Adverary implies Enemy. I can challenge my group without looking to beat them down every time or TPK them with the "wait till they encounter this and die" mentality while rubbing my hands together.

Call me a softie, but Ive never had my group tell me any adventure I had ever run was easy.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
As a DM I often roleplay the Adversaries of the PCs.

But the Role of the DM?

I'd say it is to Facilitate the game for the Players.

EDIT: To elaborate a little. IMO, there are 3 basic conflicts players can face:

PC vs Nature (monsters, etc)
PC vs PC
PC vs himself

D&D focuses pretty much only on the first style, but plenty of other games do not.
As a DM/GM, we're here to facilitate all of them.

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
I'd like to see some rules that gave DM's resource points, or something, that they could spend to create challenges. That would be neat.

edit: In order to facilitate an adversarial role. I woulda voted both.

Ourph

First Post
diaglo said:
because i am a referee. not an adversary. in no game is the referee the adversary.

if he is. he is doing it wrong.

and if you are treating him like he is. you are playing the game wrong.

Isn't that a little disingenuous diaglo? After all, in American rules football the referee doesn't call the offensive plays for the other team or decide who to substitute in when someone is injured. The job of a D&D "referee" goes far beyond the normal scope of the referee in other games/sports. The monsters and BBEGs of the campaign aren't deciding which spells to cast or which PC to mop the floor with by themselves, that's something coming from the adversarial role the DM assumes when adjudicating those encounters.

Remove ads