D&D 5E DM Help! My rogue always spams Hide as a bonus action, and i cant target him!

ranger69

Explorer
Figure out where the rogue is likely to hide and have a hostile creature or two already hiding there.
Or have that area trapped somehow. Even if the rogue spots the trap dealing with it is likely to attract attention.

fjw70

Adventurer
Sounds like the party needs a clan of ninjas that show up and use the same tactic from time to time.

But it if you can't target the Rogue then that is more damage for the rest of the party.

If you've been running stealth correctly or close enough to it, I wouldn't suggest going out of your way to change things. You said it yourself, it's their thing. I don't really see a reason to screw the rogue player over.

That being said, if an enemy wants to hit the rogue, I think readied actions are the best way, and make the most sense.

I don't agree with the people who say creatures should get advantage on the checks because they are looking. The normal rules assume creatures are aware in combat and looking around. That's what the perception check is for. As a matter of fact there's a lot of situations where they should have disadvantage on perception checks, like dim light ( which includes darkvision in the dark ). Applying disadvantage to the rogue's checks in appropriate situations seems viable to me though but you were already doing that.

You don't even need to Hide to be very hard to target as a ranged attacker, just pop in and out of total cover and stay far enough behind the front line that melee enemies can't rush your position. The real advantage of the Rogue being able to Hide as a bonus action is to get Advantage from being an unseen attacker.

Klaudius Rex

Explorer
I like the idea of holding the monsters turn, or reading thier actions for when the rogue comes out of hiding.

Ive never really held the monsters turn or readied an action, thinking that once its thier turn, they would naturally want to use thier full nova on the players....

...but this is something that i definitely have to consider.

Klaudius Rex

Explorer
Yeah, i also dont want to fudge too many monster stats either.

Giving monsters a bonus to Perception just to try to take on the rogue's stealth seems petty. I want to beat him fair and square.

...besides, i already fudge in so many other ways...!
:)

Last edited:

Klaudius Rex

Explorer
I have a feeling you're gonna have a 'we've been doing this wrong for a while' conversation with your rogue player.

I've had many such convos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, well, now that ive been thinking about it, i think one of my errors is that i have kinda allowed the rogue to take 2 bonus actions.

Meaning, often times the rogue will move, attack, and then as a bonus action use Cunning Action to dash and run behind a boulder or go around the corner AND THEN make a hide check as well, since he is no longer in view of the monsters. It kind of makes sense to naturally allow that, but i've never really scrutinized it like i am doing now.

The logical question in this scenario is that if the rogue is going to use his bonus action to dash away behind something, i believe he is allowed to have cover, but not necessarily be hidden, therby no longer needing a Perception check

cmad1977

Hero
Yeah, well, now that ive been thinking about it, i think one of my errors is that i have kinda allowed the rogue to take 2 bonus actions.

Meaning, often times the rogue will move, attack, and then as a bonus action use Cunning Action to dash and run behind a boulder or go around the corner AND THEN make a hide check as well, since he is no longer in view of the monsters. It kind of makes sense to naturally allow that, but i've never really scrutinized it like i am doing now.

The logical question in this scenario is that if the rogue is going to use his bonus action to dash away behind something, i believe he is allowed to have cover, but not necessarily be hidden, therby no longer needing a Perception check

I was doing much the same.
My rogue player dual wields. It slipped my mind that the off hand attack is his bonus action.
Move, stabby stabby, finish move, hide(cunning action). One too many actions in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happyhermit

Adventurer

That's right, and with split movement anyone can move behind cover after making an attack (if they can reach it), which is where I first realized that readied actions fixed some issues in the game. My players quickly jumped at this strategy of popping out or up from cover, then back, ironically especially those new to rpgs, and my reaction was slowly becoming "Wait a minute, something is broken here". I really liked how it "felt" very much like things in fiction and the real world though. That the problem is fixed by someone with their bow drawn back, scanning and waiting for their target or something similar is pretty sweet IME.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Also remember that if the rogue has to come out of hiding to attack, it won't have advantage anymore, unless you somehow rule that the target is distracted and didn't see him until after it did.

Remove ads