D&D 5E DM purposely gimping my Warlock

Uchawi

First Post
What the thread really shows is how hard it will be to modify rules that depend on short rests, versus daily, and how that can drastically change a set of classes depending on what is done. The warlock class is not alone.

Sadrik

First Post
I don't agree. I think fifth edition is the easiest version of the game to modify. I think the hardest thing to do is to get everyone to agree to some sort of version that works for everybody. This is a really good area where official variants can be developed. If you want to remove all short rest from the game it can be done with an official variant. That said, I think House rules due to the games simplicity of rules allows anyone to really make it their own game.

Zardnaar

Legend
I joined a Ravenloft campaign that plays online over Roll20 and we had our first game last night. The DM started us with virtually no money and no gear....no armor, no weapons, nothing. We all had to be human as well. So given all that we were already having a tough enough time staying alive, especailly considering we cannot afford anything.

I play a 1st. lvl Human Warlock. I have 1 total lvl 1 spell slot. Until lvl 11 I will only have 2 spell slots total. The DM informed me last night that he has a couple of special house rules about resting. First off, you can only take 2 short rests per day and they have to be at least 8 hrs apart from each other. I was pretty upset considering short rests are the way Warlocks get their spell slots back. I only have 1 spell slot right now anyhow and will only have 2 through lvl 11 so basically this gimps me into being a 1 trick pony, completely reliant on my cantrips. Every time it is my turn I will only ever be able to cast Eldritch Blast repeatedly, boringly. My other cantrip is Blade Ward. When I tried to protest this to him he basically told me that I better re-roll into a different class then because this is how his game is going to be run. In addition, after a long rest he only allows you to regenerate 1 spent hit die back, rather than the half total hit dice you should get back, according to the rules of the game RAW. These changes especially affect the Warlock and he basically doesn't care. I am considering quitting his game as a result.

What do you all think about his crazy house rules and how it would affect you if you were playing the human Warlock?

I would play but not a warlock. Warlock would seem to be an odd choice for Ravenloft in any event.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Usually, I would be in complete disagreement with the OP. I still mostly disagree, but I see some wiggle room.

Setting tend to have some very specific rules. While I have seen discussion of breaking these for the sake of inclusive games, that makes it not-that-setting to me. Exceptions for Planescape and Spelljammer, because having things from everywhere just goes well with those.

So, my question is did the DM tell the OP about Ravenloft's setting-specific rules?

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
So, my question is did the DM tell the OP about Ravenloft's setting-specific rules?

Yes, I see that as the key question.

It is not Bad DMing to have house rules that may make particular kinds of PCs not fun to play for particular players. It may be Bad DMing to imply that certain PCs are allowed and then be inflexible about mitigating the perceived problems that stem from house rules that were not understood by the player (e.g. "Can we agree to disagree about the warlock, and just roll up a different kind of PC?" seems like a reasonable solution to me.)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
What kind of game is this Raven-flop playing...ludo?

I get that DM's should have a final say and everything, but they should also stay reasonable and fair. If they are just gonna create their own "house' rules, then why bother buying other rulebooks. It's to much "my way or the high way" whit this Raven-flop, and I'm suprised anyone is playing with him. Drop him and find someone else.

I only play with friends and people I trust.

Any particular reason you felt like necroing this? Don't take it bad, its just I find it odd, the game in question could even be dead by now and I haven't seen the OP for a while. Oh and welcome to Enworld.

Xxandx

First Post
Your right, I'm sorry for necroing it. It just sounded very harsh the way you described it.I have deleted my previous statement

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
No problem, and sorry if I sounded harsh lunite culture is just that different and I'm a little weird even by lunite standards. You just made me reread the whole thing again, and well it brings memories. Yes, there's good and bad Dming out there. And rereading I notice I was kinda unfair and picked a side without thinking. Any reason you felt like this resonated with you?

Xxandx

First Post
You mentioned something about lunite culture? What is that about? They play by other rules maybe, than I'm used to?

Last edited:

Remove ads