• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dm quit, should I take over?

fusangite

First Post
Bagpuss has a good point. Knowing what I know of your group, the evil campaign is probably not a good idea. What you want is a game that reduces and heals social tensions, not one that magnifies them.

Kapalen

First Post
The old DM is quitting altogether, he was invited to play. I thinkI've got it. I really like the idea of the big battle on another plane having htat be the end. Then my PC's wife, a very very rich woman(somehow fell inlove with a gritty ranger), would hire adventurers to find "us". This would lead to some crazy temple/dungeon which would end up only being a piece of a much larger story, mwuhahahaha!

Raloc

First Post
Hrm...I'd say start at first as well. That said, making engaging scenarios for first level is very challenging due to the high death rate of the party (assuming the party doesn't have a cleric, that is, which has been the case for every campaign I've played in in recent memory).

LordBOB

First Post
hey Kapalen...i know you said not to read this and i didnt....i jumped right in and posted WITHOUT reading the thread ( as i promised i would )

Honestly man i dont mind starting over at 1st level but first level sucks!!!!
I dont know why senoir decided to quit....i dont think he hates us as people,but i think he might hate how we play ( we argue ALOT and its funny) actually making him mad it FUN, but we dont do it all the time.

If you wish to Start DMing than i promise we wont be as mean to you as we are to mr. "Badass"
(way to many funny stories)

Honestly i have the most to loose from our old campaign....but i dont mind to much *crys over the loss of my old items*

I know Hemp/Shroom wants to be a doppelganger (spelling?) if you think you can handle it than i think it will make him ultra happy...if not than he will get over it.

man honestly i think you would be an AWESOME DM!!!! you do know the rules, much better than i would EVER want to know than, and you dont suck like mr. "Badass" does ( you know who im talking about). All in all do whatever makes you happy.

I do wish you could run senoirs campaign one last time and let us go down in a blaze of glory, or we will let you know how we want our characters to go on living, or something like that.

*doesnt want to get rid of my sword and helm* ** sits in the corner and shoots myself**

Infiniti2000

First Post
I tend to view the level of the campaign as less important than making absolutely sure you never DM characters once DMed by someone else. Never take over an existing campaign, ever.

Now that that's out of the way, Evil campaigns are impossible to do properly (you have to institute a rule like LostSoul mentions). The best you can hope for is a mutually-assured meltdown of the PCs and not players. As a 1st-time DM and never having experienced an Evil campaign, much less a non-Evil campaign, you're in for a world of difficulty.

scourger

Explorer
Yeah, you should only assume the DMing role if it is fun for you. Start a new campaign, preferably at 1st level. And don't do any all-evil PCs game. You need to start simple.

BSF

Explorer
Kapalen said:
He's not playing a doppleganger, LA +4 is waay too much.
As well as the 4 racial HD. If you were starting an 8th level game, then you could play a doppleganger without any class levels.

I would suggest you visit the WotC Adventure Download area. Choose a level for the game, have the players make some PCs. Choose an adventure as a starting point. You know the rules so focus on getting a feel for how the party will match up against standard CR encounters. This will get you some crucial experience in adventure design that you can begin to use for your own adventures.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Now that that's out of the way, Evil campaigns are impossible to do properly (you have to institute a rule like LostSoul mentions). The best you can hope for is a mutually-assured meltdown of the PCs and not players. As a 1st-time DM and never having experienced an Evil campaign, much less a non-Evil campaign, you're in for a world of difficulty.

Depends what you mean by 'evil'. PCs who are Evil with a capital 'E' won't probably be good in a party for an extended period of time. Now if you're evil with a lower case 'e' you're probably alright.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads