• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Tools

LeStew

Explorer
I use it regularly. I find it best to use if you are willing/able to futz around with the xml templates.

What exactly are you trying to use it for? I track initiative, hp, and power usage, but it took a little bit to familiarize myself enough to make a 'system'. I can go into more detail, if you like.

EDIT: [MENTION=6688865]LeStew[/MENTION]

I guess that's part of my conundrum. Aside from tracking imitative, and HP, why use it? I mean cuz I could that on paper....

Eronian

First Post
I think I will play with Masterplan when I have time and money to get a DDI account, that program seems to be great if you can import from the compendium and what not. I looked at it before and loved what I could do with it but do not have a DDI account atm. I dont have the time to sit down and put ALL that info in manually between work and school, however when I get DDI I can slowly create my next adventure carefully through it while I kinda wing this one I am running now. I just wanted something simple to work with (which I like the way DnD 4e Combat Manager helps with the combat now that I understand how to imput the information.) and I will probably use Power2ool running in the background for notes and such. In the end I think Masterplan will definitely be my end all be all of programs though, I just need time to imput my entire plotline into the program.

Obryn

Hero
Yeah, it's pretty amazing. :)

You can enter monsters longhand, fwiw. It's time-consuming, but it works. It's also quite functional for making new monsters from scratch and editing existing ones. It's not quite as good as the DDI Builder here, but it works.

-O

Siberys

Adventurer
Well, I hate using paper for that - it's a lot easier to lose. And it can track power usage and conditions, including non-standard conditions. Finally, it's good for avoiding an issue I've occasionally come across where the players wrote down different hp on their scratch paper or lost them, or whatever.

( [MENTION=6688865]LeStew[/MENTION] )

LeStew

Explorer
Well, I hate using paper for that - it's a lot easier to lose. And it can track power usage and conditions, including non-standard conditions. Finally, it's good for avoiding an issue I've occasionally come across where the players wrote down different hp on their scratch paper or lost them, or whatever.

( [MENTION=6688865]LeStew[/MENTION] )

Good points. I'm gearing up to take the DM reigns again. So I'll probably test out a couple of the DM tracking tools for iOS. I'd use MasterPlan but I don't have a laptop. :(

Myrhdraak

Explorer
We are using MapTools from RPTools, that allow you a lot of flexibility depending on how far you want to take it. But then we run a lot of our sessions online so its perfect for that.

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
I second [MENTION=11821]Obryn[/MENTION]'s suggestion of Masterplan, though I haven't used it much for combat. I do use it to track monster stats and the like, as well keep my constantly expanding encyclopedia of NPC's and organizations the players discover. I feel I've only scratched the surface of what it can do. Definitely worth spending some time with once you get DDI (and probably before too).

I also play my sessions online, so Maptool is perfect for that. Between the two of those, I can do almost everything I need. Though if you don't play online, most f Maptool's features are probably not helpful.

Trit

Greyson

Explorer
I Like DnD4ECM

I like DnD 4e Combat Manager (or, just DnD4ECM) a lot. I use it exclusively to manage 4E combat. I have a D&DI subscription, so I use Adventure Tools to adjust or build monsters. Then, I export them to the DnD4ECM Library. It's usually pretty fast and way easy.

I manage my campaign(s) at Epic Words. I have not looked at MasterPlan, but Epic Words gives us a Web site where we can post journals, have forums, manage loot and XP, employ wikis, manage NPCs, quests, etc... Check out our just-finished Red Hand of Doom campaign to see how extensively we've used the site. I guess Obsidian Portal does what Epic Words does, but I've never used the former.

Anyway, between DnD4ECM and Epic Words, we have a pretty smooth campaign and combat management system. I could never go back to running 4E combat on paper. It's just too much.

Balesir

Adventurer
I'll second the DnD 4e Combat Manager recommendation; I used it throughout our last weekend-long run and it worked nicely - easy to use, covered everything I needed and ran glitch-free. Not to mention that importing monsters and characters from the tools was a breeze. Definitely worth a try!

Remove ads