• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dm wont allow wonderous items to be crafted

corcio

First Post
Our dm wont allow us take the feat craft wonderous item
cause he feels its broken
i want to destroy him some other way then
muahahahahaa
how can i do this
can i glue 2 wands togethehter or something

Valicor

First Post
Try Craft Arms & Equipment. The lovely thing is with all the different source books out there magic weapons can do almost everything wondorus items can now, it just takes some work to figure out the item.

But then again if you DM isn't allowing Craft Wondorus Item, my guess is he isn't big on source books.

Ibram

First Post
I can easily see how a DM could ban the create wonderous items feat. There are alot of items in there, and in the hands of a clever player they can be game breaking (even more so when you start allowing players to create their own items, or start allwoing those from non-core sources)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
corcio said:
i want to destroy him some other way then

Dude, he's the DM - he technically has the power to say, "A 16-ton weight falls on your character. You get no saving throw. He's dead." You cannot win such a battle. It can only end in tears...

Last edited:

Ibram said:
I can easily see how a DM could ban the create wonderous items feat. There are alot of items in there, and in the hands of a clever player they can be game breaking (even more so when you start allowing players to create their own items, or start allwoing those from non-core sources)

Sure,

If you just let the player spend X Gold, X Time, & X XP; there can be problems.

However, all the IC feats are really, really, REALLY, more under the direct control of the DM than the player.

The Gold cost is usually in Material Components Required. You as the DM, can simply say "That Component is not available at this time. IF you want the Hind Claw of a Red Dragon, you are going to have to get it yourself."

Really, I see no reason to Ban this Feat, you (The DM) can complelty control how it is used.

Expensive items take forever to create, and not giving your players the 6 months (or 5 years) to create the items, really cuts down on the usefulness of the IC feats at high levels.

I've never had a problem with any player taking an IC Feat.

I just do't let them use the DMG as a Do-It-Yourself Catalog. I control what they make (within reason; if they really, really, want it, I'll let them make it; maybe after a few adventures to get all the materials needed).

On a lot of Items, I'll just say OK, spend Gold, XP & Time.

On some items (esp 3rd party stuff, some sourcebooks), I have no problem with saying "The Secret to it's creation has been lost to time"

As for the Feat being broken. I've been DMing 3rd ed since all we had were quick start rules and Dragon Magazine Peaks. Never felt it was broken.

If anything the IC feats are UNDER-powered due to the Power the DM holds over them. Some DM's I've played under made those feats virtually useless, as they insured you never had the time & components to create anything other than the occasional Scroll/Potion.

Remove ads