• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DMG Excerpt: Wonderous Items

kz3bdrvanuhnea8sx4ad.jpg
eks1ft6w7pgo7jxt85cx.jpg

Didn't know if anyone had posted this yet, but here's two more pages, with the Apparatus of Kwalish!

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
ADAMANTINE ARMOR: Nifty way of interpreting the concept. I now really want to see how Mithril Armor is done!

ALCHEMY JUG: Forget all the useful compounds it can produce – magical day-drinking!

AMMUNITION +X: I'm curious, given the previous editions' bundling of magic ammunition in sets of ~50, if this is indeed solitary ammunition that it sounds like. If so, that's REALLY cool – and a really hard decision to make about using on a magic-resistant monster!

APPARATUS OF KWALISH: When the Kraken climbs onto land to attack, one needs to climb into this and go Pacific Rim against it!

Wolfskin

Explorer
I really, really like the philosophy of design behind the Adamantine Armor- that is, you can have a +X armor or a magical armor that does something different. Hope we get more items like that!

Scorpio616

First Post
An uncommon armor type that negates crits? Aye yi yi!

ADAMANTINE ARMOR: Nifty way of interpreting the concept. I now really want to see how Mithril Armor is done!
Considering adventurers don't get to upgrade magic items, it's got it's uses, but bonuses to AC will generally be better at stopping damage.
ALCHEMY JUG: Forget all the useful compounds it can produce – magical day-drinking!
Yeah, definitely looking more like a Fun item rather than a Potent item.
AMMUNITION +X: I'm curious, given the previous editions' bundling of magic ammunition in sets of ~50, if this is indeed solitary ammunition that it sounds like. If so, that's REALLY cool – and a really hard decision to make about using on a magic-resistant monster!
I doubt it's one piece, this is hardly WFRP. I'd suspect it's 20, like the PHB ammunition listing, though maybe 10 like the Silvered weapon option.
APPARATUS OF KWALISH: When the Kraken climbs onto land to attack, one needs to climb into this and go Pacific Rim against it!
Are you kidding me? I'm not going to spoil the details
it's bad news
on the Kraken's stats, but I feel bad for anyone who actually tries that in this mechanical pun on crawfish. +8 to hit 2d6 damage is not going to be much use against a monster like that.

Scorpio616

First Post
Also anybody else a little disappointed the developers kept the old size for the Apparatus of Kwalish? Yes, it's the same size as in the sacred text of the 1E DMG, but wouldn't a team game be better served if the team could fit in the damn thing? Leaving the stats alone and just upping it to be big enough to hold 3 more folks and equivalent air out of reach of the levers would have at least made the thing practical for a party to use.

Remove ads