• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs and player character

Oryan77

Adventurer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
but I just don't like the idea of a DM having so much control that it curbs the fun of the other players to preserve the precious campaign world.
Well that's why I mentioned that the DM might want to run something different, or get someone else to DM if people don't like the content he allows in his campaign.

If I have a campaign setting in mind and it's pretty set in stone, I would never give in to a players request if it was something I couldn't work into the setting. But I always at least try to work their PC concept into the game if I can justify it. If the player or DM is unhappy with the setting, then it's best to run a different setting.

Wystan said:
What do you think?
That's kind of different than this threads topic. You're not asking the DM to allow something into his game that he doesn't want in his campaign. You just want to run something new and he doesn't want to deal with the hassle.

I always want the players having fun with their PC. If they aren't and they want to change, I always treat it as a PC death without the PC dying (new PC starts 1 level behind or whatever). Your DM shouldn't force you to play something you don't enjoy. Lay it out to him like this:

If he doesn't let you make a new PC, then you won't try to keep your current PC alive. When he dies, the DMs plot will be screwed up anyway.

If he lets you make a new PC, you will be more than willing to work with him so you aren't causing him extra work with the plot.

I know people like to say that DMs should never push a plot on players, but we don't live in a perfect world and some DMs have limited time to create a game for players to play in. Sometimes things hang on the hooks that the DM has created.

If you want a new PC, you should be willing to work with the DM to make it happen because making new PCs does cause more work for a DM. Any help on his part would be appreciated. Just tell him you'll do whatever you can to help make a backstory with a new PC that will allow the DM to continue on with his current plot ideas.

Crothian

First Post
OfRiceAndHen said:
I was wondering, how much control does a DM have over what character a player runs? At what point does DM say, "No, you can't play that"? Can a DM tell a player not to play a certain race, sex, age, class, etc?

Of course he can. Not all races and classes and stuff is going to be appropriate for the campaign that is going to be run. Not all concepts work for all campaigns.

Bagpuss

Legend
Wystan said:
What do you think?

Well you could start being deliberately suicidal (in character of course). So either he has to give in and kill your character or has increasingly bend the reality of the game world to keep your character alive. Try charging into melee, if that fails try charging off a cliff. Note if you do die and a cleric cast raise dead on you, it only works on willing souls so should automatically fail on your character.

As for the initial post I think the chap above me covered it best. Still saying that I think a DM should have pretty strong reasons to block anything from the PHB.

Last edited:

OfRiceAndHen said:
I was wondering, how much control does a DM have over what character a player runs? At what point does DM say, "No, you can't play that"? Can a DM tell a player not to play a certain race, sex, age, class, etc?

Yes. The statement should always be tempered with politeness, consideration and a good reason - not just that you dislike something. All the same, saying 'Yes' to players is a rewarding experience if you can bring your vision to the table with theirs.

robberbaron

First Post
IMG I originally set some guidelines for the characters (basically, restricted to Core) and have now decided to outlaw templated races (half-dragon/half-fiend) as they don't fit my vision of my world.
Not a problem for my players; just means that the two players with half-dragons will have to choose 'normal' races if they change character and the one half-fiend has agreed to change his straightaway (with no XP penalty, as it was at my instigation).

Wystan - that DM is a nob who doesn't want the players to deviate from his script. I wouldn't stand for his guff and I doubt any of my players would, either.
I railroad occasionally, just so they get to where the adventure is happening but I wouldn't want my game to be as rigid as that.
How does he react when a player does something he hasn't considered? Roll with it or disallow it?

I believe that DMs have the right to do whatever they want with their games but the players have the right to walk away if they don't like it. I also believe that a DM who rides roughshod over his players doesn't deserve to have players.

SavageRobby

First Post
Wystan said:
Last game night I said straight to him, Ok, then I want to kill this character and make a new one and his answer was, 'we don't have time and it's better for my plot this way'...

What do you think?

My gut reaction is to say "screw him" - thats bad DMing.

As a DM, though, I'd think about other factors (and these aren't necessarily related to you). Does this person or group have a history of changing characters? Do I have some cool thing/event/situation lined up in the next adventure or two specifically built for the character in question? Is some general arc about to be wrapped, and then afterwards it would be okay for a new character?

Regardless, I wouldn't be suicidal or otherwise gamebreaking. No reason to ruin everyone else's fun, too. I'd talk to the DM away from the table (and preferably not on game night), and simply and clearly say you're not having fun with that character, and the point, after all, is to have fun. But put it back in his court with no ambiguities. If he still says "No" - and with no other explanation than it won't fit his plot, then I'd definitely consider alternatives games.

Remove ads