D&D 3E/3.5 DnD 3.5 - Monks and size increases

Crownless King

First Post
My DM doesnt allow psionics/powers so i'm trying to figure out the most effective way of reaching the cap with the least amount of penalties, so expansion cant be used.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What, exactly, is your goal? I ask, because there may be more than one method to achieve it.

So, is it increasing damage/blow? Increasing reach? Roleplay considerations?

And, while we're at it, which books can you use?

Dandu

First Post
My DM doesnt allow psionics/powers so i'm trying to figure out the most effective way of reaching the cap with the least amount of penalties, so expansion cant be used.
Here's a fun idea.

Take two levels in Fighter for the Dungeoncrasher ACF from Dungeonscape.

Size up and take advantage of the size increase bonus to bull rushing to destroy the opposition. It's great because bull rushing doesn't require an attack roll.

Also, trip people. Because trip involves a melee touch attack (easy) and an opposed check which receives bonuses from size.

FEADIN

Explorer
IIRC there's a feat in Tome of magic that let's you use damage dice as if you were 4 levels higher, Improved unarmed attack or something like that.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Where do you find Mighty Wallop and Greater Mighty Wallop? Are they feats?

They're spells, levels 1 and 3, from Races of the Dragon, I think. Works like magic weapon and the greater version thereof in terms of the numerical bonus (+1 or +1 / 4 CL) and duration (min/level for level 1 and hour/level for level 3) Except...instead of an enhancement bonus, the spells increase the effective size of a bludgeoning weapon by that many "steps." Later levels, it can get pretty ridiculous.

Actually, I'd take the Expansion power over Enlarge Person...you can get 2 levels of growth out of it.

OTOH, Enlarge Person is easier to target another with. Expansion is personal, unless it somehow winds up as a power on an item.

You can get psionic tattoos of personal powers, but you have to pay 2x the regular cost. Considering Expansion is already more expensive than Enlarge Person (the latter you can get at CL 1 and have it last an entire fight, the former requires at least 2 PP augmentation just to improve it from round/level duration -- 1 round duration doesn't cut it when its a standard action to activate), Expansion is a very pricy option to be using frequently until higher levels. If you want 2 levels of growth, that's another +6 PP (and thus +6 manifester levels)...it's not for the low leveled or poor.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
They're spells, levels 1 and 3, from Races of the Dragon, I think. Works like magic weapon and the greater version thereof in terms of the numerical bonus (+1 or +1 / 4 CL) and duration (min/level for level 1 and hour/level for level 3) Except...instead of an enhancement bonus, the spells increase the effective size of a bludgeoning weapon by that many "steps." Later levels, it can get pretty ridiculous.
Thanks for the info; I found them (yes, they're in Races of the Dragon). Looks like a fun couple of spells!

Theroc

First Post
IIRC there's a feat in Tome of magic that let's you use damage dice as if you were 4 levels higher, Improved unarmed attack or something like that.

I just checked my Tome of Magic and saw no such feat. Perhaps it was a different source, or perhaps I missed it because it was not by that name.

Can you recall which section of the Tome it was in? Binding magic, Shadow magic, or Truename magic?

Dandu

First Post
INA may not work with monks, since it's not clear that Unarmed Strikes are natural attacks. WotC has been ambiguous about this, but it would make most sense if they are not.

That being said, I allow it to work because it makes the game more fun.

Remove ads