• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD 3.5 - Valley of the Dead

wysiwyg

First Post
Myth you need to decide how HP will be done. The fairest way is to give all PCs (and NPCs) the following:

Max HP at 1st level.
Average HP thereafter. e.g. a fighter gets 5hp at 2nd level, 6hp at 3rd, and so on.

Shayuri

First Post
Considering a warlock. Human or elf...

Possibly with the Enlightened Spirit PrC.

Alternatively, a two-weapom ramger with Undead for favored enemy...

Many choices. :)

Myth and Legend

First Post
I've been running around the city today, in the heat, using public transportation, to get to two meetings i had with clients. The second one still has me tense, so i'll reply to everyone's questions later on today. I'm thinking 6 PCs is more than enough to start with, but if someone does go MIA i will write another PC in, and they will get their XP/gear adjusted to the current state of the party.

For HP i have not come to a decision yet - most undead are low on HP due to not having a CON score, and you get 36 point buy to play with. Granting max HP at every level is good for your PCs, especially since they are supposed to have a lot of latent potential (36 pb after all). You will be able to survive prolonged encounters with lack of healing/rest. On the other hand making it 1/2 HD will make the CON scores much more important. (if you are a 12 HD class +3 CON modifier is only 1/5 of the total HP if you have max hp per level. But if it's 1/2 suddenly +3 HP from CON is one third of your total HP). Let me evaluate my plans for the encounters and let you guys know. I do reccomend you go as high as you can on CON after your primary stat, for other reasons apart from HP.

wysiwyg

First Post
I'd like to play a rogue/assassin type of chacter. Did you ever read the Waylander books by David Gemmell (rip) my favorite author of all time. That's the kind of PC I had in mind.

Need to just know about sneak attack issue. Something like "Discern Weakness" instead of trap sense which will allow sneak attack to function even on undead.

cheshire_grin

First Post
Okay, Myth, here's my sheet, in the format you requested. I believe all the stats, numbers, &c are all correct, but if anything is off please let me know. :) I don't have the HP in there yet, I'll add that when you tell us how to calculate those.

Edit: I just noticed the bit about no stats below 10. Does that mean before, or after, racial adjustments? Either way I'll obviously have to bump at least Str; let me know which you mean and I'll fix the stats/numbers.

[sblock=Peth Hethas, Archivist/Sage]
Peth Hethas

Lawful Neutral Male Whisper Gnome Archivist 8

Patron Deity: none

EXP: 28000

Strength 8 (-1) (Base 10, -2 racial)
Dexterity 12 (+1) (Base 10, +2 racial)
Constitution 14 (+2) (Base 12, +2 racial)
Intelligence 22 (+6) (Base 18, +2 level, +2 item)
Wisdom 16 (+3) (Base 16)
Charisma 8 (-1) (Base 10, -2 racial)

Size: Small
Height: 3' 7"
Weight: 36 lb
Eyes: Blue-Gray
Hair: Gray
Skin: Tanned

[sblock=Appearance]
Peth is short even for a gnome; his appearance is thoroughly nondescript, to the point where many of his associates fail to recognize him as often as not. He generally wears his shoulder-length hair pulled back in a tight braid, wound and tied with gray silk nearly the color of his hair. When out and about in a safe haven, he tends towards functional, unadorned clothing of the type favored by explorers; when in his role as sometime Sage, however, he dons fancier clothing fashioned after the robes of an ancient scholarly sect. Outside of havens, his blueshine chain shirt glimmers just at the edge of vision as he slips from shadow to shadow almost unconsciously.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Personality]
Knowledge is Peth's oldest and deepest love, and it is highly unlikely anything will ever dislodge it. He is happiest prowling through ancient detritus, either physically in some ruined section of the City, or metaphorically while translating some newly discovered text. However, unusually among seekers after ancient knowledge, he feels little possessiveness for his hard-won information, provided fair exchange is given. He revels in the role of Sage, in the dispensing of valued information, not least because it leads to respect and associations that might otherwise be denied a whisper gnome. Nonetheless, Peth has few friends, none terribly close, but his love affairs tend to be highly emotionally charged, if brief, relationships.

Peth cannot stand being lied to, and will only lie himself in dire circumstances; dishonesty and disorganization are anathema to him. He will often refuse to deal further with someone who has told him even a relatively minor lie, and this reputation for fair dealing is as well known as the breadth of his knowledge among treasure-seekers and their contacts.
[/sblock]

Total Hit Points: 64

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 19 = 10 + 5 [armor] + 2 [shield] + 1 [Dex] + 1 [size]

Touch AC: 12
Flat-footed: 18

Special: Dark Knowledge 5/day (Tactics, Puissance, Foe); Lore Mastery (Arcana, Dungeoneering); Still Mind

Caster Level: 8
Spell DC: 10 + Spell Level + 6 (Int)

Initiative modifier: + 1
Fortitude save: + 9 = 6 [base] + 2 [constitution] + 1 [resistance: cloak]
Reflex save: + 6 = 2 [base] + 3 [wisdom (feat)] + 1 [resistance: cloak]
Will save: + 10 = 6 [base] + 3 [wisdom] + 1 [resistance: cloak]
Attack (handheld): +4 = 4 [base] + -1 [strength] + 1 [size]
Attack (missile): +6 = 4 [base] + 1 [dexterity] + 1 [size]
Grapple check: -1 = 4 [base] + -1 [strength] - 4 [size]

Light load: 19.5 lb.
Medium load: 20-39.75 lb.
Heavy load: 40-60 lb.
Lift over head: 60 lb.
Lift off ground: 120 lb.
Push or drag: 300 lb.

Languages: Common, Gnome, Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, Orc

[sblock=Feats]
Scribe Scroll
Insightful Reflexes (Complete Adventurer)
Trivial Knowledge (Races of Stone)
Draconic Archivist (Heroes of Horror)
Master of Knowledge (Heroes of Horror)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Skills]

Appraise + 11 = 5 [base] + 6 [Int]
Balance - 2 = 1 [Dec] + -3 [armor]
Bluff - 1 = -1 [Cha]
Climb - 4 = -1 [Str] + -3 [acp]
Concentration + 8 = 6 [base] + 2 [Con]
Craft + 6 = 6 [Int]
Decipher Script + 10 = 2 [base] + 6 [Int] + 2 [Lore Mastery]
Diplomacy + 1 = 2 [base] + -1 [Cha]
Escape Artist - 2 = 1 [Dex] + -3 [acp]
Forgery + 6 = 6 [Int]
Gather Information + 11 = 10 [base] + -1 [Cha] + 2 [synergy: Knowledge Local]
Heal + 3 = 3 [Wis]
Hide + 8 = 1 [Dex] + 4 [size] + 4 [racial] + 2 [armor] + -3 [acp]
Jump - 4 = -1 [Str] + -3 [acp]
Knowledge (Arcana) + 19 = 10 [base] + 6 [Int] + 1 [feat] + 2 [Lore Mastery]
Knowledge (Architecture) + 9 = 2 [base] + 6 [Int] + 1 [feat]
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) + 19 = 10 [base] + 6 [Int] + 1 [feat] + 2 [Lore Mastery]
Knowledge (History) + 9 = 2 [base] + 6 [Int] + 1 [feat]
Knowledge (Local) + 9 = 2 [base] + 6 [Int] + 1 [feat]
Knowledge (Religion) + 17 = 10 [base] + 6 [Int] + 1 [feat]
Knowledge (The Planes) + 17 = 10 [base] + 6 [Int] + 1 [feat]
Listen + 5 = 3 [Wis] + 2 [racial]
Move Silently + 2 = 1 [Dex] + 4 [racial] + -3 [acp]
Profession: Sage +5= 2 [base] + 3 [Wis]
Ride + 1 = 1 [Dex]
Search + 8 = 2 [base] + 6 [Int]
Sense Motive + 3 = 3 [Wis]
Spellcraft + 19 = 11 [base] + 6 [Int] + 2 [synergy: Knowledge Arcana]
Spot + 5 = 3 [Wis] + 2 [racial]
Survival + 3/5/5 = 3 [Wis] /+ 2 [synergy: Knowledge The Planes] /+2 [synergy: Knowledge Dungeoneering]
Swim - 7 = -1 [Str] + -6 [acp * 2]
Use Rope + 1 = 1 [Dex]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Spells]
Known Spells:

0 level: Amanuensis (SC), Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Guidance, Inflict Minor Wounds, Light, Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic, Resistance, Virtue

1 level: (9, 2 bought, 11 total) Protection From Evil, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith, Cure Light Wounds, Comprehend Languages, Scholar's Touch (Races of Destiny), Inflict Light Wounds, Magic Weapon, Lesser Vigor, Guiding Light (SC), Inhibit (SC)

2 level: (4, 10 bought, 14 total) Resist Energy, Cure Moderate Wounds, Lesser Restoration, Darkness, Sound Burst, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Bull's Strength, Iron Silence (CAdv), Make Whole, Balor Nimbus (SC), Close Wounds (SC), Master Air (SC), Curse of Ill Fortune (SC), Ghost Touch Armor (SC)

3 level: (4, 10 bought, 14 total) Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding, Magic Circle Against Evil, Remove Curse, Mass Resist Energy, Cure Serious Wounds, Mass Lesser Vigor, Locate Object, Speak With Dead, Magic Vestment, Fell The Greatest Foe (SC), Swift Fly (SC), Mass Align Weapon (SC), Light of Venya (SC)

4 level: (4, 6 bought, 10 total) Freedom of Movement, Cure Critical Wounds, Inflict Critical Wounds, Neutralize Poison, Restoration, Divine Power, Greater Magic Weapon, Arc of Lightning (SC), Assay Spell Resistance (SC), Sheltered Vitality (SC)

Spells/Day
0 level: 4
1 level: 6 = 5 + 1 [Wis]
2 level: 5 = 4 + 1 [Wis]
3 level: 5 = 4 + 1 [Wis]
4 level: 3 = 3 + 1 [Wis]

Prepared spells:

0 level: Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Mending, Read Magic
1 level: Sanctuary, Shield of Faith, Comprehend Languages, Scholar's Touch, Magic Weapon, Protection From Evil
2 level: Cure Moderate Wounds, Iron Silence, Balor Nimbus, Close Wounds, Master Air
3 level: Dispel Magic, Magic Circle Against Evil, Cure Serious Wounds, Magic Vestment, Mass Lesser Vigor
4 level: Cure Critical Wounds, Divine Power, Arc of Lightning

[/sblock]

[sblock=Level Advancement]
1: Archivist - Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +4, Knowledge (Religion) +4, Knowledge (Planes) +4, Concentration +4, Spellcraft +4, Gather Information +4, Decipher Script +2, Search +2

Feat: Scribe Scroll, Insightful Reflexes (CAdv)
Special: Dark Knowledge (tactics) 3/day

2: Archivist - Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +5, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Knowledge (Planes) +5, Concentration +5, Spellcraft +5, Gather Information +5, Diplomacy +1

Special: Lore Mastery (Knowledge (Arcana))

3: Archivist - Knowledge (arcana) +6, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (Religion) +6, Knowledge (Planes) +6, Spellcraft +6, Gather Information +6, Skill Trick: Collector of Stories (Undead)

Feat: Trivial Knowledge (Races of Stone)
Special: Dark Knowledge 4/day

4: Archivist - Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +7, Knowledge (Religion) +7, Knowledge (Planes) +7, Concentration +6, Spellcraft +7, Gather Information +7, Diplomacy +2

Special: Still Mind

Attribute Increase: Int

5: Archivist - Knowledge (arcana) +8, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +8, Knowledge (Religion) +8, Knowledge (Planes) +8, Spellcraft +8, Gather Information +8, Skill Trick: Collector of Stories (Magical Beasts)

Special: Dark Knowledge (puissance)

6: Archivist - Knowledge (arcana) +9, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Knowledge (Religion) +9, Knowledge (Planes) +9, Spellcraft +9, Gather Information +9, Knowledge (Local) +1, Profession (Sage) +0.5

Feat: Draconic Archivist (Heroes of Horror)
Special: Dark Knowledge 5/day

7: Archivist - Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +10, Knowledge (Religion) +10, Knowledge (Planes) +10, Spellcraft +10, Gather Information +10, Profession (Sage) +1, Knowledge (History) +1

Special: Lore Mastery (Knowledge (Dungeoneering))

8: Archivist - Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +10, Knowledge (Religion) +10, Knowledge (Planes) +10, Spellcraft +11, Gather Information +10, Knowledge (History) +2, Knowledge (Local) +2, Knowledge (Architecture) +2, Profession (Sage) +2, Skill Trick: Collector of Stories (Outsiders/Elementals)

Feat: Master of Knowledge
Special: Dark Knowledge (foe)
Attribute Increase: Int

[/sblock]

[sblock=Whisper Gnome]
* +2 Dexterity/Constitution, –2 Strength/Charisma
* Humanoid (Gnome)
* Small: As a Small creature, a whisper gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters those of a Medium character.
* Whisper Gnome base land speed is 30 feet, despite their size.
* Low-Light Vision: A whisper gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination.
* Darkvision: Whisper gnomes can see in the dark out to 60 feet.
* Weapon familiarity: Whisper gnomes treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
* +1 racial bonus on attack rolls vs. kobolds and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears)
* +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants)
* +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.
* +2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.
* Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day - silence (centered on whisper gnome's body). A whisper gnome with a Charisma of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day: ghost sound, mage hand, message. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + Cha modifier + spell level.
* Favored class: Rogue
* Racial Feats: The Extra Silence and Silencing Strike feats can be taken by whisper gnomes.
* Level Adjustment: +0

[/sblock]

[sblock=Equipment]

2 x 1 level scrolls 50 gp
10 x 2 level scrolls 1500 gp
10 x 3 level scrolls 3950 gp
6 x 4 level scrolls 2400 gp

Ring of Sustenance 2500 gp
Handy Haversack 2000 gp
Chain Shirt (100 gp) Masterwork (150 gp) +1 (1000 gp) Blueshine (1500 gp) 2750 gp
Morningstar (8 gp) Masterwork (300 gp) 308 gp
Heavy Crossbow (50 gp) Masterwork (300 gp) +1 (2000 gp) 2350 gp
50 bolts 5gp
2 Daggers 4 gp
Cloak of Resistance +1 1000 gp

Darkwood Shield 257 gp

Headband of Intellect +2 4000 gp
Wand of CLW 750 gp
Lesser Iron Ward Diamond (DR 3/- up to 30 dam/day, 2000 gp)
Pearl of Power, Level 1 (1000 gp)

Explorer's outfit
Scholar's outfit 5 gp
Standard Adventurer's Kit 15 gp
Belt pouch
Bedroll
Flint/steel
2 sunrods
10 days' rations
50' hemp rope
Waterskin
Spell Component Pouch 5 gp
Prayer Book
Journal (50 sheets) 20 gp
5 candles 5 cp
4 scroll cases 4 gp
2 pieces chalk 2 cp
Ink (2oz.) 16 gp
Inkpen 1 sp
Sewing Needle 5 sp
Thread 5 sp

_____
Total: 26890.17 gp

GP on person: 109.83
[/sblock]

[sblock=background]
Peth set the foaming tankard of ale on the edge of the table above him, then heaved his slight frame into the too-tall chair. Wriggling into a more comfortable position, he drew the mug closer to him with his right hand, and with the other opened his worn, stained journal to the first blank page. He paused, downed nearly a third of the ale, then pulled a tattered piece of parchment, an inkpot, and a pen from the backpack laying on the table beside him. Laying the parchment carefully next to the journal, he dipped the pen into the ink and began to copy its contents into his book.

Several mugs later, Peth finished the last flourish on the last line. He sprinkled sand carefully over the newly finished page, then returned the ink, pen, and parchment to his pack and closed his journal. Weary and sore as he was, a sense of accomplishment at saving one more piece of ancient knowledge from the ruins of the past suffused his soul. He hoisted his mug one more time and drained the last of his ale, then hopped lightly off the chair and headed for the market to see if any new antiquities had shown up since he'd last been in this safe haven, three weeks ago.

Wandering through the market, searching for treasures among the fakes, the mundane, and the just plain weird, Peth mused on how his fortunes had increased in the last few years. Peth had never been much interested in clerics and gods; the whole idea felt too much like fakery and performance to the utterly honest gnome. Yet the powers those clerics wielded were fascinating; Peth had long felt there must be rules to divine magic itself, rules that transcended mere deities. His breakthrough had come with a lucky find, a tattered scrap of an ancient text inscribed with strange runes in a glittering ink that had not faded, even though it must have been several hundred years old at least. It had taken Peth nearly six months just to begin to translate the scroll, a time that led him to begin building up one of the most comprehensive libraries of ancient knowledge in his area--a fact that occasionally brought other treasure-seekers to his door, seeking advice and information.

The key to understanding his collection lay first in learning to read the glittering writing, and to do that Peth began searching out other, similar writings. Finally he discovered what seemed to be a beginning lesson -- it referred to itself as a "prayerbook" -- covering the principles of learning divine magic, without any reference to deities or external powers. For days he struggled to understand the lesson and the scroll, until finally the entirety of the spell contained within it was his. He closed his eyes, chanted the strange syllables of the spell, and felt a surge of pure living energy well up within him. Opening his eyes, he saw that, as the prayer book had described, a faint nimbus of golden light surrounded his hands, the power of the spell awaiting its release. He touched one hand to his chest, experimentally, and the nimbus flowed into the rest of his body, leaving him refreshed and invigorated--quite aside from his pride at mastering the spell! It wasn't until nearly ten minutes later that he noticed a cut he'd given himself making dinner the night before was gone as if it had never been.

After that, Peth's studies began to accelerate. Three months later he had managed to research a spell specifically for the translation of magical texts--and a month after that he had mastered everything his current library had to offer.

It wasn't enough. The pure joy of discovering a new spell, or a description of some ancient experiment, beast, or item, or even an otherwise banal journal entry by some millenia-ago writer, drove Peth onward. He began to establish contacts with others who collected the detritus of ancient civilizations, cautiously. His library grew by leaps and bounds, for a while. Then it seemed he'd tapped out the things he could buy or borrow, and his gaze turned outwards, away from the safe havens of the city in which he lived.

With his deep knowledge of the creatures and constructs common to ancient ruins, the spells he'd wrested from his writings, and his own innate ability to pass unnoticed, Peth had many advantages over other treasure hunters. At first he restricted his movements to relatively safe areas, but those same areas had already been picked over many times before, and before long he was forced to travel further afield, into unexplored and more dangerous areas. Each time he returned with more treasure -- gold for his expenses, but more importantly a few scraps of paper, or an item that still held the flickering auras of divine power; at the very least, his journals held more notes and drawings of the creatures and things he'd found on his journey.

Unfortunately, the last few trips had resulted in fewer and fewer interesting finds. Then Peth heard of a new mystery, a valley that was suddenly producing all the hallmarks of a really great ancient ruin recently come to light: disappearances, apparitions, and unexplainable beasts.

Peth began packing at once; surely his array of knowledge would be indispensable in discovering and containing whatever dangers the vallery held, and just as surely there would be many interesting things for him to add to his collection.

His eye fell on the map unfurled on his table, a single small dot drawing his eye far out of proportion to its size. "Angelwatch," he murmured, pausing for a moment in his packing.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Updated everything after fixing my stats.

Last edited:

ethandrew

First Post
I'd like to play a rogue/assassin type of chacter. Did you ever read the Waylander books by David Gemmell (rip) my favorite author of all time. That's the kind of PC I had in mind.

Need to just know about sneak attack issue. Something like "Discern Weakness" instead of trap sense which will allow sneak attack to function even on undead.

There's a weapon crystal somewhere in the MIC that allows sneaking versus undead (and incorporeal). But without the book in front of me I'm not certain.

cheshire_grin

First Post
There's a weapon crystal somewhere in the MIC that allows sneaking versus undead (and incorporeal). But without the book in front of me I'm not certain.
You're thinking of the Truedeath Crystal -- I just checked and the version that allows sneak attacks/crits to affect undead is the Greater one, at 10,000 gp. (It also grants the weapon +1d6 damage vs. undead and causes it to function as a Ghost Touch weapon vs. incorporeal undead.)

Myth and Legend

First Post
Everyone: You get max HP per hit die. I figure that since i'll be playing the bad guys with brains and killing intent, you'll need it.

Theroc:
Ok you know what, i'll allow the changeling. However, you may stay in changed form for only (2 x character level) rounds, after which you revert back to your original form for a minimum of two rounds. You can change an unlimited times per day. (Shayuri what do you think?)

HolyMan: Welcome! :)

jager0727: Why don't you fill in one of the roles that has not been covered yet?

hellrazor111:
Well two Paladins - why not! Fist of Raziel - which book is that in?

Shayuri: Take your time, i have a long way to go before post #1 :)

cheshire_grin: Congrats on being the first one to post his sheet! Yes, all 10s and what's left is up to you to distribute. Just go to Invisible Castle, choose point buy, make all stats 10s and then have at it. I will review your sheet later on today.

wysiwyg: Thank you for the encouraging words! Check this out:
[sblock=Variant Rogue: Assassin of the Unliving]These scouts and lightly armored adventurers are trained in "Abello's Guild of Skilled Adventurers" - a semi legal mercenary guild, that takes on jobs for the nobility and clergy. It is rumored that Abello had fallen in to disfavor with the Chirch of Lathander after some shady "redistribution" of temple property, and was facing prosecution and eradication at the hands of the High Priests.

Ever the silver tongue, Abello offered to help raise a force of elite scouts and tactical fighters, that are especially well trained to eradicate Undead. The Chirch of Lathander agreed, as such specialists would prove invaluable to their goals. An agreement was made, and so the temple began to send all the novices that proved too frivolous or distracted for the Priestly profession, to train with Abello.

As a result, there came in to existence the Assassin of the Undying. These special Rogues are supplied and blessed by the Chirch of Lathander, and are often sent on dangerous reconnaissance or retrieval missions in Undead infested locations. Still possessing most of the skills of regular Rogues, these specialists replaced the tedious training for trap detection with the much more practical skill of Undead Assassination.

Mechanics:
Regular Rogue progression, apart from the following:
- Must be Good.
- Loses Sneak Attack at level 1.
- Gains Hallowed Weapon (1/day) Spell-Like Ability at level 1.
- Gains Hallowed Weapon (2/day) Spell-Like Ability at level 6.
- Gains Hallowed Weapon (3/day) Spell-Like Ability at level 12.
- Gains Hallowed Weapon (4/day) Spell-Like Ability at level 18.
- Loses Trapfinding;
- Loses Trap Sense;
- Gains Knowledge: Religion as a class skill;
- Gains Undead Assasination:

[sblock=Hallowed Weapon:]
Spell-Like Ability
Components: Verbal
Casting time: One swift action
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 turn/level (only Assassin of the Unliving levels apply)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Once per day, the Assassin of the Unliving may call upon Lathander to grant him the power to destroy Undead. While not a prayer like that of a Priest or Paladin, this still draws from the innate good nature of the Assassin of the Unliving and requests a boon that furthers Lathander's cause.

Effect: Treat the weapon(s) wielded by the Assassin of the Unliving as Holy for the duration of Hallowed Weapon, when used against Undead.[/sblock]

[sblock=Undead Assassination]Undead Assassination requires a weapon with the Holy descriptor to function. This ability works only versus monsters with the Undead subtype.

After extensive training, the Assassin of the Unliving learns to discern the location of vital nexuses of Negative Energy within the form of an Undead being. When striking at it with a Holy weapon, an Assassin of the Unliving can reproduce the effects of Sneak Attacks and Critical Hits that normally do not affect Undead creatures.

At Rogue level 5: Basic Undead Assassination: All your Sneak Attack damage is treated as 1d4 vs Undead. On a Critical Hit you always hit and roll damage normally.

At Rogue level 10: Advanced Undead Assassination: All your sneak Attack damage is treated as 1d6 vs Undead, you can score Critical Hits vs Undead for auto-hit and max weapon damage x 1.

At Rogue level 15: Master Undead Assassination: All your sneak Attack damage is treated as 1d8 vs Undead. You score Critical Hits regularly vs Undead. Crippling Strike works on corporeal Undead.[/sblock]

Ex Asassin of the Unliving: An Asassin of the Unliving who ceases to be Good or who willfully commits an evil act, loses the Hallowed Weapon ability, untill he/she atones, but can still use Undead Assassination and progress in the class.[/sblock]

Just to recap on what we have so far:

Shayuri: Co-DM and unknown PC as of now.
cheshire_gri: Archivist (to be reviewed)
Theroc: Changeling Warshaper tank.
ethandrew: unknown PC as of now
HolyMan: Paladin of Helm
jager0727: Unknown PC as of now.
wysiwyg: House made Assassin of the Unliving (Rogue variant)
hellrazor111: Paladin - Fist of Raziel (but must be approved first as i'm unfamiliar with that class)

8 PCs - good in PbP as people tend to go missing, but hard on a first-time DM :) Definitely NOT recruiting as of now! :) BTW i haven't heard anyone comment on the house-made Meteoric Iron items.

Shayuri

First Post
Looking at artillery/arcanist here.

Sorceror perhaps, or Warlock. Since no one else has proposed a primary arcanist, probably a sorceror.

Though I had an idea for a 'technomagic' warforged warlock that I've been dying to try...

As for the changeling, that change undermines the 'flavor' of the race, IMO. The whole deal with changelings is that you can never tell who they are (short of magic that's beyond the ken of most folks). If they turn back every so often, that messes with that. And it adds some bookkeeping. You'll be getting a lot of, "How long do I have before I change back?"

I think changelings as they are are pretty balanced. If you're concerned about changeling warshapers, I'd suggest one of two options:

1) Address the PrC. Since it's not as hard to qualify for now, you might tone down some of its spiffier boons a little.

2) Rule that Changelings do not have the Shapechanger subtype. The 'Minor Change Shape' power, being essentially superficial, does not count as shapechanging and thus does not warrant the subtype. This would be a house rule, and would represent a slight depowering of the Changeling race, so if you do this, you might consider throwing them a bone in the form of some minor bonus or compensation.

Remove ads