• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnDBeyond leaks Dark Sun?

This seems odd to me as GoSM is 2D seafaring combat/boarding but is more detailed than the rules for a 3D Spelljammer combat.
The vast majority of science fiction tabletop RPGs use a 2D grid for starship combat. The additional dimension is difficult to represent on the tabletop, and has no effect on gameplay, other than making it less fun. It is also unnecessary mathematically unless you have four or more ships involved. You can draw a 2-dimensional plane through any three points.

If you have vector motion (e.g. 1st edition Traveller) then that reduces to three or more ships. But that would be even more unfun. Simulationism is the enemy of fun gameplay.

Considering they just announced their slate for the next year-and-a-half, if this is somehow a proper leak it's not something we'll even see in UA packets until around the time the revised core comes out in 2024. Unless they're going to use the space saved with backgrounds and races to drop in the artificer and the psionicist into the PHB.
dark sun as base setting for 1dnd confirmed.

R_J_K75

Legend
The vast majority of science fiction tabletop RPGs use a 2D grid for starship combat.
Yeah, it's a real head scratcher. The ship-to-ship combat section is 325 words long and it basically tells you to skip it and go straight for boarding because that's where D&D combat is.
I remember ship armaments and long-range 3D combat being a big part of the original SJ box set, and it adding verisimilitude to the setting and leading to interesting combat scenarios long before boarding took place. Seems an odd part to gloss over or leave out. Just my opinion though.

I remember ship armaments and long-range 3D combat being a big part of the original SJ box set, and it adding verisimilitude to the setting and leading to interesting combat scenarios long before boarding took place. Seems an odd part to gloss over or leave out. Just my opinion though.
Remember the original Spelljammer set did not sell well. The best space combat rules I have played where FASA Star Trek, and they used a 2D hex grid.

teitan

Legend
There have been other "leaks" that were not leaks recently that look very similar like the monthly sub supposedly rocketing up in price so I tend to doubt these leaks from DDB.

delericho

Legend
The cool reception Spelljammer is receiving is because it’s a terrible, overpriced, and incomplete product. It’s schtick is tall ships in space and the rules for ship-to-ship combat amount to “don’t.” There is nothing there to help referees run Spelljammer. Nothing to help referees make worlds. Nothing. It’s an art book with a few PC races.
I can't imagine that that's a mistake.

When they make more settings I hope they’ll return to the one book or one AP and one book format.
Given that both Planescape and Dark Sun have very strong visuals (arguably stronger even than the other elements of those settings), I'd be quite surprised if they didn't follow a very similar approach to the Spelljammer set. Certainly, I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Meh.

Until they are brave enough to do a full Psion class, they won't do Dark Sun. The excuse for Artificer was that Eberron doesn't work without it. The policy was that new classes would be only created for new settings.

So yawn. Dark Sun aint happening. Not until AFTER 1DND. They are doing a playtest already.

Remove ads