• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnDBeyond leaks Dark Sun?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I liked the 3 book format concept, but I wasnt happy with the shorter page count. I have yet to read it as Im running a Midnight campaign currently. If they dont give any rules on ship-to-ship combat, upgrading ship armaments, fixing ship damage and creating worlds and systems whats the point? I always looked at a Spelljammer campaign like the original Star Trek, episodic, and even with the rules from the original boxed set it took alot of work to keep the campaign fresh and exciting. Sounds like the 5E slip case makes it impossible, which is disappointing because I was looking forward to running a campaign in the near future.
It has ship rules, but very concise and simple.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If by cool you mean still near top 100 out of all books on Amazon and anecdotally every table of mine asking me to run it and then some and related products in the DMsGuild rising up the charts fast?

Yea gimme some of that.

I do admit it has failings, though.
I think mixed reception is fair: the local poll here on it was primarily positive, but it was all over the place. Mostly, from what I've seen, the criticisms are fair...but I'm still happy with what I got, and the price I paid.

Ok? I'd like to see how the number of bad reviews compare to the total number of books sold.
I mean, how would we know? The set has only been out for a handful of days; I doubt WotC themselves know how it's going to shake out yet. I'm just pointing out raw sales numbers, at least in the early days of a products release, are more indicative of anticipation rather than satisfaction with the product. If it's still selling well months down the road? Different story.

Bet a nickel it's a fraction of a percent.
Bet you your avatar :p

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So more or less leaving the DM/Players to fill in the blanks? I've not read the books yet so I'll form my own opinion when I do.
It's the Ghoat of Saltmarsh rules, streamlined a bit. The bulk of the main book is actually atat blocks for 16 different ships a party may either be crewing or encounter, and there is a system for ship to ship combat, again the same as Saltmarsh without as much granular detail.

R_J_K75

Legend
It's the Ghoat of Saltmarsh rules, streamlined a bit. The bulk of the main book is actually atat blocks for 16 different ships a party may either be crewing or encounter, and there is a system for ship to ship combat, again the same as Saltmarsh without as much granular detail.
This seems odd to me as GoSM is 2D seafaring combat/boarding but is more detailed than the rules for a 3D Spelljammer combat.

Remove ads