• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnDBeyond leaks Dark Sun?

darjr

I crit!
There have been other "leaks" that were not leaks recently that look very similar like the monthly sub supposedly rocketing up in price so I tend to doubt these leaks from DDB.
The video shows how you can create the issue yourself. Though it might have been fixed by now.

I must say that I haven’t tried it myself though, has anyone else here?

Have you thought for a little time about the possible "virtual miniatures" in the new D&D Digital? Even some "miniatures" could become skins in Fortnite to promote the line. We shouldn't be too surprised if it happens even although now it sounds like another of my crazy ideas.

Now seriosly. The nightmare beast, a creature from DS, has appeared in Spelljammer 5e. After the return of Ravenloft, Dragonlance, Spelljammer and Planescape, there are reasons to think maybe in 2023 or 2024. Hasbro has realised very well the great potential value of IPs by WotC. DS is not kid-friendly but potentially interesting for the teenages and the youg adults. It is "hard" but not too grimm.

But even if DS returns in the next year or after, we shouldn't hope the original metaplot to be continued.

darjr

I crit!
As the copy of astral drifter is too close to dune trader, it seems as if they wanted to do dark sun at a point and then instead did spelljammer...
Dunno about either or. I’d like to know how you got to that conclusion.

But it could be that they dropped previous plans, yea.

The cool reception Spelljammer is receiving is because it’s a terrible, overpriced, and incomplete product. It’s schtick is tall ships in space and the rules for ship-to-ship combat amount to “don’t.” There is nothing there to help referees run Spelljammer. Nothing to help referees make worlds. Nothing. It’s an art book with a few PC races. When they make more settings I hope they’ll return to the one book or one AP and one book format.

The ship-to-ship combat is fine; I've now run it RAW with no issues. Now that I've actually run it, it looks like the complaints are just people looking at it, thinking it needed extra complexity, and dismissing it out of hand. Could it have been more complex? Yes. Does it need more rules? No.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I remember ship armaments and long-range 3D combat being a big part of the original SJ box set, and it adding verisimilitude to the setting and leading to interesting combat scenarios long before boarding took place. Seems an odd part to gloss over or leave out. Just my opinion though.
Oh, it's there, it's just straightforward, quick and dirty rather than a deep dive simulation.

Staffan

Legend
I remember ship armaments and long-range 3D combat being a big part of the original SJ box set, and it adding verisimilitude to the setting and leading to interesting combat scenarios long before boarding took place. Seems an odd part to gloss over or leave out. Just my opinion though.
Ship-to-ship combat yes, 3D no. It did use hexes though. There might have been some optional stuff about 3D, but not that I can recall.

R_J_K75

Legend
Remember the original Spelljammer set did not sell well.
I don't have anything other than my experience with the original setting and my opinion, but I think that when it came out in 1989-1990 iirc, the setting probably didn't sell well because it was too far removed from what most players considered fantasy D&D. I recall picking up the 2E core books at the time and saw it at the store and immediately dismissed it. Picked it up used a few years later and really liked it. So, I don't think sales necessarily translates to quality, it must've sold well enough because there's 20+ products in the original line, and enough of a demand for WotC to release a 5E version.

Remove ads