D&D 5E Do monks do enough damage?

Dasem

First Post
Despite the monks on average lower damage output, it's important to keep this in mind:

It's a team game. Monks that Stun help the entire party. Remember, you don't have to kill the dragon: the PARTY has to kill the dragon! So Stunning the enemy grants advantage to everyone in the party, making it easier for everyone to hit.

mellored

Legend
As quick stun estimate, assuming the monk spend always has advantage...

monk 11: 228 * .84 = 191.52

fighter 11: 359.1 * .6 = 215.46

And level 20, assuming the monk has both advantage and flurries.

monk 20: 462 * .84 = 388.08

fighter 20: 532 * .6 = 319.2

*per short rest.
*crits not included.

Bardbarian

First Post
Thanks for the replies!

Just to share, the reason I don't account for stunning strike much in my discussion, is that it is often resisted costing me 2-3 Ki in a singe round to land it partially due to a 14 wisdom and to many monsters having high constitution. Likewise Fighters, Barbarians and Paladins all have similar ways of granting themselves advantage. so it doesn't really make the monk stand out in the sense of offense. As I mentioned they have a wide array of defensive options but in AL games they seem to fall flat. It is likely that feats are the issue, with GWF and Sharpshooter dominating as they do. It's just a bit disheartening when, if I land all 4 of my attacks, I do 3 more points of damage than a single hit from one of the many GWF barbs or fighters I play with. I do enjoy the monk, but I had been starting to get the sense that I was a bit of dead weight and could do just as much damage using the help action rather than attacking. Currently I have focused on grappling to position enemies for the group as that seems a bit more reliable to stunning strike.

RulesJD

First Post
If you're that worried, the best method is to Magic Initiate for Hex and Booming Blade. Take a few levels of Rogue (I recommend swashbuckler).

Mind you my Monk is a Shadow Monk, but the general ideas still apply. Bonus Action to teleport to target, hit with an advantaged Booming Blade + Sneak Attack. Back away and force the target to move. Next round, Bonus move head and unload with either regular attacks (triggering sneak attack) or hit with Booming Blade + Hex + Sneak. I know it's not RAW, but see if you can get your DM to have the BB hit count as a weapon attack for the purposes of getting your regular Bonus attack/Flurry.

That's to get big numbers. If you're worried about Bonus action economy (which is an issue for Monks, especially Shadow Monks), then 1 level dip War Cleric for Divine Favor and then do as above. Divine Favor doesn't eat up as many bonus actions so you're good to go.

mellored

Legend
It's just a bit disheartening when, if I land all 4 of my attacks, I do 3 more points of damage than a single hit from one of the many GWF barbs or fighters I play with.

GWF and barbs lots of damage in 1 attack.
Monks do less damage, but have more attacks.

Overall you'll still be behind, but not that much. And pick your stun target's. Using step on the wind to get to the back row archer or wizard and then stun them.

Bardbarian

First Post
I am glad the consensus seems to be positive of the monk, Thank you for your feedback. This has done quite a bit to set aside my concerns.

Yours truly,
The Neurotic Gamer.

Remove ads