Do you allow electronics at your gaming table?

Do you use electronic aids (tablets, laptops etc.) at your gaming table?

• Yes, everybody uses or is permitted electronic aids at the table

Votes: 378 61.4%
  • Yes, but only the GM uses electronic aids at the table

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • No, electronic aids are not used at the table but are used for character creation

Votes: 71 11.5%
  • No, electronic aids are not used at all

Votes: 87 14.1%

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I use electronics in preparation but during the game they just tend to detract from it.

We tried Roll20 for a time as a replacement for a battlemat, but it required more work that just using a battlemat itself.

Laptops are too noisy and distracting.

Silent electronics are generally ok, but way too often the user just screws around on it rather than pay attention to the game. I'm exceptionally guilty of this.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I am in full agreement with Herolabs with regards to a Pathfinder game. How else can anyone, DM included keep up with the 1700+ feats players can choose from and have the feat information at their finger tips. This is also one reason why I'm feeling burned out on Pathfinder...bloat. I'm having fun again playing pen and paper 5e, DCC from Goodman games, and Labyrinth Lords.

Talmek

Explorer
This is actually something that my group discussed prior to starting our 5th edition D&D campaign. We have no rules specifically barring or limiting electronic aides from the table - however, this was voted on that they be minimized for this edition as a kind of experiment. When we played 4th edition all players but one used iPads or laptops to manage our characters and the DM used a spiral notebook for all of his notes. Considering that two of the members in our group are IT professionals and I am a self-confessed tech-addict we manage our dependency rather well.

To be honest, I believe that we use this as our time to disconnect from technology rather than find yet another reason to depend upon it. Granted, we still use it for rules reference, etc. but it's really limited.

Remove ads