• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you always need to save the world

Razjah

Explorer
About 20-odd years ago, we had a DM who ran a lot of "save the world" campaigns and it did get to be very fatiguing. I don't mind them, from time to time, but I don't want them all the time.

This is my problem. The D&D game when I joined my current group, save the world (3 technically because it was spelljammer stuff). Dresden Files game, every adventure was saving the world while moving closer to finding The Master. Current Star Wars FATE game- elite force fighting the Vong to save the galaxy.

I've been running Dnd games for 30+ years, nearly 40. I have NEVER run a save the world campaign, nor have I ever played one that got to a point where that's what we knew we were doing.

Same here. I've been gaming for at least 35 years, so we probably started around the same time. I have never had any desire to run a "save the world" campaign.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's a mixed bag. It's a really grand plot and I enjoy the really huge scale that I'm painting in on some level, but the down sides are pretty huge.

a) That really huge scale gets hard to achieve with the same level of concreteness that I'm used to working in. Lots of the time I'm not sure I'm conveying the living world of the game like I should be because I have to be abstract and wing it just because the canvas is so large.

Here's a hint - the canvas you actually work on doesn't have to be large. It can be small, so long as the stakes of decisions are large.

Take my session last night (which is Deadlands, not D&D, but the principle is general):

The PCs are not known for restraint. Their motto seems to be, "We are good at intimidation, the dark arts, and sustained violence". So, I set up a situation where thoughtful restraint is really a good idea, to see what they'll do with it.

In essence: The BBEG has created a kaiju monster. He was able to do so because the PCs dropped the ball some time ago. If they don't stop the monster, the BBEG is going to turn a cold war into a hot war, and things will go to bubblegum shortly thereafter. The PCs are informed that their usual weaponry simply isn't going to cut it. They discover that one way to beat it is with another monster.

They rescue a crucial NPC from the BBEG's clutches. I take some effort to make the PCs become attached to the NPC - he's been through torture because the PCs dropped the ball, and is nearly a broken man. But, in order to make their own monster, he must go through another ordeal. If the NPC goes through this ordeal, he'll come into his own full holy power, and be able to help the PCs make their own monster (a *friendly* one), and then the NPC will go off and deal with other problems in the world, as is his destiny.

So, the ordeal comes up - it is a hostage situation, the bad guys have a firebomb, and will destroy the orphanage the NPC grew up in (and kill all the kids there currently) if the NPC doesn't give himself up. The PCs then proceed to try to deal with the problem all on their own. The NPC remains in tow, but doesn't get to do anything to help resolve the situation. He feels no particular stress, has no challenge or ordeal.

The PCs *accidentally* trigger the NPC's transformation - the mad scientist PC, seeing no way to quickly defuse the bomb, decides to pick it up and throw it out the window, thereby setting off it's motion-sensitive trigger, immolating himself. While this was not the nominal way to get the NPC to come into his power, but seeing someone willing to risk self-sacrifice seemed to be appropriate to me. Holy power suffuses the NPC, allowing the PC to be healed (lucky him, as he'd have been dead otherwise).

But the canvas upon which the characters act is still small, personal. The real issues are matters of individual choices - the world is saved because one PC was willing to take a huge risk on himself to save a dozen children.

b) Because the PC's are convinced that they need to save the world, they are pretty much on rails.

That's true. Once the PCs perceive a threat that large, they're kind of obligated to deal with it, unless there's a clear path to hand it off to someone more capable than themselves.

The ways I've managed this is twofold:

1) I didn't *start* with things that were themselves immediate threats to the world. I started with small stuff, each of which fed into the larger threats, but no one of which was key. They have time to interact with the world, and the starting threads, for a long time before saving the world becomes the things. During the time, the PCs have a lot of freedom to do what they want, because dropped balls aren't themselves major issues.

2) The BBEGs are taken from the PC's backstories.

These two lead the players to be thoroughly invested in the action. They may be a bit on rails, but they *want* to solve the problem, as it is personal by the time they realize the world is at stake. They don't really *want* to do side stuff - this is the most important thing to them.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
In essence: The BBEG has created a kaiju monster. He was able to do so because the PCs dropped the ball some time ago.
This shows a deft touch. Nicely done.

You must spread some Experience Points around before giving it to Umbran again.
Bah.
fist.gif

S

Sunseeker

I think that really depends on where you want to "end" your story. Saving the world is often the culmination of previous smaller battles.

IE:
1-First you save a couple of kids from being at the scene of a robbery.
2-Then you attempt to stop the robbery.
3-Then you attempt to recover what was stolen, or if you successfully stopped the robbery, you investigate why they were attempting to steal the stuff.
4-You then put a stop to the "master plan". This often turns out to not be the real goal.

You then repeat steps 1-4 on an increasingly dangerous basis. First the town was threatened by the experimental robot. Then the city was under fire from the robot army. Now the country is at risk from secret robot-human hybrids. Finally the world is at stake because of the giant doomsday alien-robot monstrosity that was built on the dark side of the moon.

It's the same formula at each stage, you simply need to choose which stage you want to stop at, which is a determination of how powerful you want your heroes and villains to be. If you don't want to end up saving the world, don't keep upping the ante. Of course the problem is that after a while, beating foes of the same challenge becomes a little dull. I'd suggest that in order to keep the ante from increasing too rapidly, you'd need to focus less on the fights and more on the intrigue. So, more Batman, less Superman.

SteamCraft

Explorer
Personally, I hate "you need to save the world" stories for metagame reasons. When the whole world/universe is at stake, its basically a given that the PCs will win. The end of the world, after all, would also be the end of the campaign. On the other hand, "save the region" or even "save the city" put real tension on the PC's. My players know that I will blow up a few towns on them if they drop the ball, because the next chapter can be picking up the pieces.

Why can't the world just end? Or at least change in relationship to their failure. I understand your point, but it seems that the problem is not just the structure, but also the GM. I have no problem letting the players lose even if that means horrible consequences for the game world.

SteamCraft

Explorer
In terms of fantasy, the threats needs to escalate. If things go on long enough, then it can end up with something similar to you have to save the world. Usually, players get tired and want new PCs so I have only done a save the world thing once or twice.

Outside of fantasy, I have never run or played in a save the world type of situation. I do not know if it is me, or if the other genres aren't as suited for that as the end goal.

SteamCraft

Explorer
Why?
Why do things need to escalate after, fore example, stopping a cult from summoning a devil? Why can't the PCs go back to protecting a merchant or stuff like that?

Maybe I should rephrase this to be in a class/level model like D&D. The reason is everything scales up. It doesn't work for the progression of these games to have small threats all the time. Now, in a non class/level game where there isn't a meta-level scaling built in, then it one could avoid the pressure to scale up the threats.

Derren

Hero
Maybe I should rephrase this to be in a class/level model like D&D. The reason is everything scales up. It doesn't work for the progression of these games to have small threats all the time. Now, in a non class/level game where there isn't a meta-level scaling built in, then it one could avoid the pressure to scale up the threats.

The threat to the merchant can be big. A robber baron or even a dragon for example. Yet no matter the threat, the scale is smaller than a cult summoning a (big) devil.

Remove ads