Do you believe we are alone in the universe?

The universe is far, far, far too big and ancient a place to reasonably rule out life elsewhere. Even if the galaxy is currently lacking intelligent life other than our own (and I'm not convinced it is - our expectations of what intelligent life should be doing with itself is, obviously, prejudiced toward our own ideals), I don't think it was nor will be. I'm also much more optimistic about...

The universe is far, far, far too big and ancient a place to reasonably rule out life elsewhere. Even if the galaxy is currently lacking intelligent life other than our own (and I'm not convinced it is - our expectations of what intelligent life should be doing with itself is, obviously, prejudiced toward our own ideals), I don't think it was nor will be. I'm also much more optimistic about FTL. :)

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm coming more from "this 'rational' explanation needs the violation of so many fundamental physical laws and common sense that is no different from the emotional and irrational one." Anyway I don't think of myself as rational anyway so it makes more sense to me. There's no practical way for alien visitors to exist, not without violating the lightspeed limit and reversing entropy. Nothing short of actual magic can change that, and in real life magic is too pathetic, dangerous and difficult to allow it. So whatever it is that we see in the skies is anything but alien in nature.

The hubris here that says we fully understand the limits of our existence is pretty big. I'll agree that it appears we cannot ever surpass lightspeed given what we currently know, but it's foolish to assume that what we know won't change. Of course, it's also foolish to believe that we'll discover FTL at all. Neither are supported.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
The hubris here that says we fully understand the limits of our existence is pretty big. I'll agree that it appears we cannot ever surpass lightspeed given what we currently know, but it's foolish to assume that what we know won't change. Of course, it's also foolish to believe that we'll discover FTL at all. Neither are supported.

It's not hubris, lightspeed as a hard limit is fundamental to our understanding of the universe, if it is wrong, then everything's we know is wrong.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's not hubris, lightspeed as a hard limit is fundamental to our understanding of the universe, if it is wrong, then everything's we know is wrong.

That is possible though. Alot of this stuff is only theory as we understand it although I have doubts about things like fold space, wormholes and other ways of non FTL that let you get around faster in sci fi (warp, hyperspace etc).

The problem is energy required to to go faster than light. SO we need a new energy source (Darkmatter?), or a new way to go from A to B which is basically magic/sci fi when it comes to things like dimensions, zeropoint power, folding space, etc.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That is possible though. Alot of this stuff is only theory as we understand it

It’s not “only” theory. We use relativity in all sorts of things. Your GPS depends on it; GPS satellites are subject to relativistic effects due to the speed they move and their altitude in Earth’s gravity well. The word “theory” in science doesn’t mean “hypothesis”.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

And how many times has that happened in just the last 100 years? Look, I'm not saying that it's not most likely true, but it's actual hubris to think that we really know that right now. It may change on the next step up of colliders. It may not. The assumption that we're absolutely right with what we know right now is not scientific.

What we know right now is hella useful and has good predictive power (well, most things we think we know). But Newtonian physics did a great job until we found out that it was an approximation only. We still haven't a theory that adequately combines special relativity with general relativity. Assuming that we know that light is absolutely as fast as you can go is hubristic belief we know everything about that already.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It’s not “only” theory. We use relativity in all sorts of things. Your GPS depends on it; GPS satellites are subject to relativistic effects due to the speed they move and their altitude in Earth’s gravity well. The word “theory” in science doesn’t mean “hypothesis”.
Yes, please tell the electrical engineer 5hat actually does GPS systems how important relativity is to technology. I'm not ignorant of how useful relativity is, or what it's theoretical underpinnings are. But, Newtonian mechanics were absolutely critical to a lot of technological advancements and we now know them to be wrong but useful. Assuming we're at the end of science is wrong -- we do not know.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, please tell the electrical engineer 5hat actually does GPS systems how important relativity is to technology. I'm not ignorant of how useful relativity is, or what it's theoretical underpinnings are.

I was talking to Zardnaar about the phrase “only a theory”. Calm down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janx

Hero
the important thing, is at this moment, I am alone. Watching entities real or imagined, argue because the don't know who they're talking to.

Zardnaar

Legend

I know but say 150 year ago science as it understood it probably could not conceive of an atomic weapon. In 100 years who knows, there are quantum physics theories that might pan out, someone might invent a fusion reactor (not that it will produce enough energy for FTL). There is anti matter and tachyons and things like that and some combination of genetic engineering, AI, generations ships, gene seed ships, and a new power source could enable something. It might take years to get there but interstellar travel might be possible one day (slowly barring some sort of massive breakthrough).

The could invent a fusion reactor, stick it in a problem send said probes towards some close stars, they broadcast back any habitable planets, they sen s gene seed ship there where the humans are created via AI and are educated via AI and they colonise it generations later. As we understand it though FTL is impossible but there may be other ways to get from A to B (unlikely I'll admit).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads