Do you design worlds according to fantastical physics?

S'mon

Legend
I normally assume (as player or GM) that PCs have a magical/mythical understanding of the world, and that this is so whether or not the foundations of the world really are magical/mythical - as in Runequest & 4e D&D - or scientific/naturalistic - as in Call of Cthulu and most other D&D.

You can also have a naturalistic/scientific universe with a different nature than that of the real universe, such as in Fritz Leiber's Nehwon setting where gods are real but dependent on worshipper belief, and the world appears to actually be a bubble ever rising through the waters of eternity.

I also like ambiguous/agnostic settings like my Wilderlands, where it is highly uncertain whether the beliefs of the Pious (myth & faith) or the Philosophers (nature & science) actually are more correct. Of course the Philosophers lost the Uttermost War so most people believe that proves they were wrong...

Li Shenron

Legend
Something I dislike about typical modern fantasy world building is that it basically tacks magic onto a world that otherwise operates according to real physics. I don’t think that is holistic, since the pre-modern societies that laid the foundation for the fantasy genre didn’t think that way. So I rejected this paradigm and world build according to my own invented magical physics. Of course that is really difficult on its own, so I like to read pre-modern philosophy and religion and obsolete scientific theories to get ideas for fantasy physics. This leads to a lot of interesting results, like spontaneous generation, four humors, flat world, hearts used for thinking, all diseases being caused by spirits, fighters developing superpowers by training really hard, and so forth.

There are a few roleplaying games which did something similar like Nephilim, Glorantha and Exalted. These served as inspiration for myself as well.

Do you world build according to magical physics? How so?

I always loved the idea but indeed it is way more difficult than I can handle...

For example, I like having places that don't follow Euclidian geometry (inspired by Lovecraft, of course) or where the timeline doesn't unfold linearly. But it's incredibly hard to keep it consistent.

My "trick" is usually to keep the core fantasy world (whatever it is, published setting or homebrew, where a campaign starts) as real-physics as possible, except of course that there always is "magic" that isn't fully explained, and then explore alternative-physics using then for other planes of existence. Since I normally have the PCs visit other planes temporarily, there is no huge pressure to explain everything, and eventually my mistakes and inconsistencies can be passed off to the players as "you don't know/understand yet how things work here", when the reality is that I don't know/understand how could I ever make them work... :blush:

In my campaign setting, magic is a volatile source of energy that can be channeled from the earth, from the water, from one's own body, or from some form of magical vessel (this includes focus items and magical items). Wizards and sorcerers tend to wear special protective clothing to channel this energy towards the intended target safely. If they don't, they risk harming themselves or others. Channeling takes time, thus explaining why some spells take longer to cast; the magical energy literally has to be guided upwards from the soil, towards one's hands. Staves are useful for this, because they are long enough to touch the ground while standing, and they also help direct the magic towards the target. Wands are also used to direct the magic away from one's own hands, though they are mostly used to swift-cast enate magical abilities, or magic stored in vessels.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Boats float... the whole point was to reconcile the fantastic nature of Thule with its 'real world' location as prehistoric Greenland.
Speaking of floating boats . . .

I later remembered that I have have put significant effort into figuring out how the tides flow in the caverns of my megadungeon. Like, I wound up looking up the speed of the current at various points along the Niagara River (specifically above the falls, and the rapids in the gorge below) and slower rivers too so that I could answer questions like the following

You know how in Temple of Doom, Indy and his friends are outrunning the water in the mine cart; If that water was caused by a lake overflowing from a rising tide, how fast is that wall of water moving? How long should I make the tunnel so that it takes an hour for that water to stretch from one end to the other? And then how long would that tunnel take to drain once the lake stopped overflowing.

I have put significant time and effort into reconciling the physics of the "tide" caused by the magical physics of a Great Old One as it breathes, asleep on the bottom of the lake.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
I can certainly imagine such a world. Maybe it's the Star Trek influence, but alternate dimensions don't really phase me much. A world with periodic elements isn't necessarily inconsistent with elemental planes, as long as those elemental planes are far-removed from the material plane and only accessible through magic.
In typical D&D settings, these elemental planes are assumed to be the origin of the material plane. Despite having no other causal connection, unless you’re playing Monte Cook’s Midgard setting in which the elemental planes literally cause the weather.

In my experience, planes are more trouble than they’re worth. Unless the setting is about exploring the planes, there’s no reason to have them. They introduce unnecessary complexity for little comparative gain. And most of the time they’re boring expanses of nothing interesting or redundant, especially the inner and transitive planes. That’s why I never use any cosmology more complex than the omniverse or world axis models if I can help it. I prefer to treat the planes as energy channels a la Wayfarers, not places you can actually visit.

I don't disagree. The difference is that I have zero interest in playing out mythology or folklore. I find mythology and folklore to be inherently silly, except as an odd cultural note.

"What if mythology X was real?" is not an interesting question that I want to explore. Mythology X was poorly-conceived, by people who had no idea of how things actually worked. Give me an internally-consistent world that operates on believable scientific principles, and I'll happily explore that instead.

Edit: One way to make mythology less silly is to take one or two elements from that mythology and transplant them into a believable setting. "What if greek mythology was all true?" is a silly question, because if it was true, then nothing in the world would make any sense. A much more interesting question is, "what if the greek gods and monsters actually existed, in a way that's consistent with the real world?" That way, you can address those fantastic elements within a context that actually makes sense, and the basis in reality makes the exploration of those elements much more meaningful.
Well, I love myths, folk tales and fairy tales. I love games like Mazes & Minotaurs. I think modern fantasy, particularly that based on D&D, sucks the fun out of fantasy. It’s not like the D&D ecology has ever made much sense to begin with, what with the wilderness being an ecologically impossible death trap and mind flayers having zero population growth.

Part of my reasoning for magic physics is that typical D&D settings typically make less sense with real physics because the background assumes myth tropes like young earth creationism are true, even to the point of dinosaurs coexisting with humans.

The spelljammer rules in particular, which are still canon to D&D, pretty much kill any illusion that D&D uses real physics. It arbitrarily divides magic from nature, when it isn’t even based on real world nature. That’s sillier than any real mythology.

And planescape outright says the world works because we believe it should. It isn’t objective like the real world.

As always, your mileage may vary.

I think people largely overestimate the value of "fantastical physics", from a DM perspective, it can be fun and engaging to try to think of how everything could work, but after a while, you start to realize that a lot of how the world could work is pretty much how the world does work.

Disease caused by spirits? When it is one or two diseases that are relevant to the story, this is creative an interesting. Perhaps the Great City was once ruled by another people, who were besieged by the current rulers. The current rulers uleashed a magical plague upon the denizens and they all died, thus why the current rulers are well, the rulers. Now the vengeful spirits are back, bringing with them the magical plague to infest the descendants of their conquerors. THAT is interesting, fun and creative, but when you start analyzing a world-wide concept of disease caused by spirits, it starts to become mundane.

At first, it's the Big Diseases, that's still kinda interesting. But suddenly the flu, or the sniffles, or the common cold are all now spirits, and functionally you haven't really changed anything. "Germs" are replaced by "spirits" and instead of being cured by medicine, they're cured by spells (though lets be honest even germ-based disease is cured by magic in most parties). Maybe the "big deal" of this approach is that you can reason with a spirit, but then really the outcome is the doctors are replaced by spirit-speakers and "Medicine" checks are replaced by "Diplomacy" checks.

People aren't inherently stupid. Most of the historical stupidity we European-descended folks who make RPGs was perpetuated by historical authorities through suppression of education, destruction of literature and execution of the intelligent. The problem we in the West here have is that we don't have a recent or ancestral tribal history to draw upon for an alternative approach to things. We apply a regression back to about the dark ages and then kind of generally assume people got dumber from thereon back. Even in highly animist cultures where "a spirit did it" may very well be the answer to a question, it wasn't left there. There was an answer for how you could go about dealing with that spirit and many of those approached involved basically primitive medicine. Without an overarching authority to reinforce the idea that you are helpless and removing those who would counter that idea, even "primitive" people are capable of understanding problems and developing measures to counter them.

What I find, even in reading this thread, is that it doesn't really sound like these "mytholog" DMs are "letting players in" on the secret that this world works different...until the players attempt to resolve a situation using their common sense, only to discover the world is incredibly nonsensical. Which strikes me a silly because the characters would know this already. It's sort of like a gaming jump scare. HA HA! Oh I got you good! Oh wait you tried the thing it doesn't work like that! Haha! Got you again! A player may not know which spirit is causing this disease in question (unless they're trained in Heal, then I'd say they might) but they would have a general understanding that spirits cause disease.

Ultimately, you end up with two types of players:
A: Players who just say "screw it" and stop caring about the world. Their approach becomes jaded and cynical, they assume they cannot understand the world because it is designed in a way to impede their attempts at understanding. So when a situation comes up they stop caring.
B: You get players who try to be scientific about the world, attempting to understand ever element, but you've designed a world that belies understanding. Sure, a giant may throw the sun into the sky every day but when either of them get asked "why" the whole system breaks down. EX: who held up the sky before Atlas? Anyone? Anyone? That's right: there's no answer. Why? Because Atlas was a story designed to teach a lesson. If you start to analyze the situation it breaks down. It doesn't operate on a logical basis.
-You may say: why is that a problem? Because we do. And when Player B can't sit down and start to figure things out, they eventually become Player A.
That’s a solid complaint. There’s really no single answer I can think of, given that we’re dealing with fiction.

I’ve never seen roleplaying games (or other media) that use fantastical physics run into this problem. Nephilim, Glorantha, and Exalted, for example, didn’t break down into angry complaints over how they made no sense. Tons of fiction uses fantastical concepts like holiday characters, the sandman, etc without falling apart.

Even in the modern day, a lot of people still take superstitions for granted. Probably the most universal is our tendency to anthropomorphize inanimate objects. Otherwise, a lot of people in developed countries still believe in clearly impossible things like the paranormal. I think it’s easier to explain this by analogy to childhood understanding of the world rather than pre-modern understanding, as the latter arose from the former. When you were a child, how often did you believe something happened because you wished it? That’s magical thinking!

If the world works outwardly the same as the real world as subjectively experienced by us, aside from superstitions like tarot and house elves being true, then I don’t see how players would start to go mad. The rules read by players should already account for any mechanical divergences (like RuneQuest’s spirit combat rules, or D&D 5e’s poison damage). Any excessive divergences from reality, like trying to find a new rain god or sky pillar, would be a matter of adventure plots and fluff. For example, I’ve never seen rules for the water cycle or photosynthesis (and rarely sleep deprivation), so it makes no difference if morning dew is painted by tiny dew fairies, frost on windows painted by jack frost, or the sandman causes dreams with magic sand.

As I said above, D&D for example already operates on nonsensical physics that only emulate reality in a limited and arbitrary manner. If you try to examine it logically, like I have, it falls apart under its own contradictions unless you invoke the meta-fictional explanation that it only works because we’ve been conned into believing that’s the only way things ought to work (Planescape even points this out by stating the world literally works because of our belief that it should work that way, and everyone knows that belief systems are full of holes).

At least with a magical world building, I don’t have to pretend the world building is anything more than an arbitrary construct (literally, if it was made by gods) with any number of inconsistencies. And That’s why I devise a pantheon composed of gods of the gaps, specifically to address these sorts of complaints if they come up. It may be silly, sure, but at least I acknowledge it is so.

Really, I’m more interesting in the adventure opportunities (and storytelling opportunities for prose). For example, That’s what makes the world building of netflix’s Hilda so fun. The characters just take all the fantastical situations they encounter for granted rather than getting bogged down in the science.

As always your mileage may vary.

In typical D&D settings, these elemental planes are assumed to be the origin of the material plane.
[...]
The spelljammer rules in particular, which are still canon to D&D, pretty much kill any illusion that D&D uses real physics.
Where are you getting this? I've never heard the first part, and the second part is only dubiously canon. In either case, D&D as a whole encompasses a lot more than just the Forgotten Realms and the spheres around it. If you want to argue that every published setting is equally as silly as Spelljammer, then I'm not going to argue the point, because published settings are only a tiny fraction of what D&D is built to do. The 5E DMG does a pretty good job of listing out the relevant parameters, by which an individual DM can create a world that is as grounded or as fantastic as they want. If this thread is any indication, it's not uncommon to want a setting that's a little closer to reality (while still allowing the fun fantasy conventions).
It’s not like the D&D ecology has ever made much sense to begin with, what with the wilderness being an ecologically impossible death trap and mind flayers having zero population growth.
If the ecology of your world doesn't make sense, then that's on you. I've never had an issue with it, and neither have any of my previous DMs.

The game world mostly follows the physical laws of the real world by default. It doesn't much matter HOW the world works for purposes of the game. If PC's decide to do exhaustive research to PROVE that everything in the universe is made up of the 4 physical elements of earth, air, fire, water, they will ultimately succeed rather than discover molecules, atoms, and sub-atomic particle physics. Things in the game will still work the same, so no, I don't build a game world based on fantastical physics. I simply color the real-world functions with fantastical explanations. Once in a great while MAYBE something in the game world will work very different from the real-world because I want to illustrate that this is still a fantasy world, or because it's just more fun that way (see Spelljammer), but for the most part the game world SHOULD work like the real world with the truly fantastical being UNUSUAL, not the norm.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve never seen roleplaying games (or other media) that use fantastical physics run into this problem. Nephilim, Glorantha, and Exalted, for example, didn’t break down into angry complaints over how they made no sense. Tons of fiction uses fantastical concepts like holiday characters, the sandman, etc without falling apart.

Well, here's a point - having Santa Claus does not mean that the world uses fantastical physics. Santa is an oft-discussed entity, but there's no general Theory of Santa that tells you how the world works that includes the abilities Santa has. There is no law detailing how Santa literally flies to every home in one night without burning up due to air friction. It is just stated that he *does*, and it ends there.

You can have magic in the world - instances in which the universe behaves much differently from our own, without having a *physics* detailing *how* it happens. It just does. This is the old saw of "How does it work? MAGIC!!1!" D&D, by and large, works in this way - it behaves like the normal world we live in, except for some very specific times when it doesn't, each exception detailed on its own.

To have a fantastical physics is to have a set of general rules by which magic operates, and those are applied consistently across the world.

Remove ads