• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you do this?

ScottBargelt

First Post
Absolutely, I switch. Sometimes, it's just burnout--I get tired of the same old game and campaign after 18 months to two year; sometimes it's external stimuli--the recent posts about the old ST game have re-ignited my interest in it, too. I've kept the same group of a dozen or so core interests for decades now, but which of them are my primary focus and which are on the back burner vary over time. And I think that's pretty common, actually.

Bagpuss

Legend
Generally I prefer Sci-Fi, then Horror to Fantasy, but I agree I tend to switch and have the others on the back-burner, I don't fall out of love with them, but they don't hold my interest while I'm more focused on the other genre for a while.

Generally I switch when I get a little bored of the last thing I was interested in, although something can grab my attention (like Achtung! Cthulhu) which can then lead me to lose interest in the last thing that had my full attention.

Cephor

Villager
I tend to switch. Lately it is based on what kinda game I'm into. Before I really got into RPGs I was into Monsterpocalypse miniatures for a good half a year. Then I got my true start in RPGs with Star Wars Saga. While building characters for that, I began researching D&D. In 2010 I picked up the Pathfinder core rulebook and have been playing it since. But because of some old school friends, I was introduced to Labyrinth Lord. So after I complete the Pathfinder campaign I'm about to began, I'll run a Basic/1E game, possibly viking centric. So yes, I switch and I'm switched I'm constantly note-taking for the near future.

am181d

Adventurer
I tend to bounce back and forth between D&D and superheroes. (Over the past few years, the superheroes games have all used MSH/FASERIP.) And I'm working on a custom Star Trek-y game at the moment that I will probably run for my players later this year.

Jhaelen

First Post
I never switch because I never play Sci-Fi rpgs. I sometimes buy rulebooks for them but never with the intention of actually playing them.
I've played one-offs using rules for games that are more like 'fantasy with sci-fi gadgets'. E.g. I've played Shadowrun, Star Wars, and Fading Suns.

But I vastly prefer playing fantasy rpgs. I simply enjoy having the fall-back option of 'a wizard did it' or 'it's magic' too much. In a 'real' (or 'hard') sci-fi game, I'd always feel pressured to complely rationalize everything, make sure the rules match real physics, etc.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Game-wise, I've been surprised to find myself more intrigued by GUMSHOE and spy games recently than I have been by 4e D&D. Of course, I'm running two 4e campaigns and will be for a few more years. :)

Nellisir

Hero
Do you switch between fandoms, or do you maintain them simultaneously? Not that I'm saying one switches off in favour of others, but that various ones comes to the fore for a period. In my case, Star Trek style sci-fi, but it might be superheroes or pirates or westerns or what-have-you.
Do you switch between them for periods of time like me? And if so, why? Is is in response to stimulating examples in the media tha grab your attention, or peer pressure, or disappointment in current offerings? What causes it?
Not with gaming. I run high fantasy/fairy-tale inspired/Celti-Germanic campaigns in my homebrew campaign setting (admittedly not in the past 5 years, but talks are underway...;) ).

In literature, definitely. I swing between sci-fi, fantasy, and (in the past few years) mystery/thrillers (WTF is up with the Swedes, man? That's some grim stuff...). I generally go for the hard and adventure sci-fi, and ditto on the fantasy -- not so much the steampunk, zombies, modern fantasy, or vampires, though there are exceptions. Mythic is good also. After a few books, I want a change of pace; a new flavor.

Daniel Grota

First Post
Yep, I'm currently in Steampunk mode. Was crazy about hard sci-fi before that, cyberpunk before that, alternate history, urban fantasy, horror, high fantasy and so on and so forth. I like to switch things up and try new things to keep the RPGs I play and inspiration fresh. :D having said that, high fantasy is my go-to genre.

Randalthor

First Post
Funny thing, sometimes I like to run one genre while preferring to play another. Like right now, I would rather run fantasy, but play sci-fi. Weird, huh?

Eldarain

First Post
I'm definitely in the camp of focusing in on one genre or subject at a time. Usually to the point that I not only exclusively play games that fit within the topic, but also try and find all the literature tv shows, and movies that will immerse me even further.

Remove ads