Do you eat fast food,if so what do you get and where do you go?

PigKnight

First Post
For tacos, they all seem the same to me -- Taco Bell is about the same as El Rodeo, Tres Magueyes (sp?), La Rancherita, etc. ... But tacos seem to be tacos anywhere.

What is this I don't even?

Taco Bell is to tacos like a McDonalds hamburger is to an In-N-Out burger. Technically they're the same thing, but they're completely different animals. Taco Bell tacos are nothing like real tacos. I can't even words.

PigKnight

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer

Because better food tends not to be driving-friendly. Also, phoning ahead while driving is dangerously stupid, IMO. (See the next repsonse before jumping on me.)

Google, Yelp, Urban Spoon, and other apps like those are your friend in these situations.

All unaccessible from my dumb-phone. I don't put a priority on tech, so I rely on a phone that actually only makes hand-held phone calls. Scary, I know.

Alright, I'll give you that one. It probably depends on the area that you live in. I can get good food, that isn't fast food, at almost any time of the day/night. I would imagine that in certain areas you don't have that luxury. The best thing to do is avoid game night.

No. ENWorld Chicago GameDay is too much fun to avoid. [/cheap plug]

She's an adult now, right? She can try various cheeses, can't she?

She can. She still hates cheese.

That's pretty much what McDonald's commercials do.

I'm immune to advertising. Oh, look there's a little game in the ad banner where I have to throw a can of Cuke into a basket. Man I'm thirsty...

That is true, but there is nothing wrong with trying to improve people's taste.

True. I just don't push it once they try and still don't like it. That was my dad's policy. The trust he placed in us as kids made me try things honestly, knowing that if I truly didn't like something he wouldn't force me to eat it. I ended up liking alot of things that other kids turned their noses up at. And he stayed true to his word, except when it came to sweet potatoes for some reason.

That guy sounds like he should be joining the Korean girl.

Why? He'd think kimchee and seaweed rolls were weird.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Google, Yelp, Urban Spoon, and other apps like those are your friend in these situations.

Well...yes and no. They're no pancetta...errrr...panacea. ;)

While i have made some awesome finds using them, I've also gotten some bad data from those and similar resources. For instance, both Google and Yelp have directed me to places that were closed or relocated than once. And you're often seeing reviews by people who don't know the cuisine and/or whose preferences you may or may not share.

And using such a resource while traveling- I mean, while actually in motion- is not as fast (or safe) as using your eyes to scan your surroundings.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
All unaccessible from my dumb-phone. I don't put a priority on tech, so I rely on a phone that actually only makes hand-held phone calls. Scary, I know.

Amen, bro! I'm hoping there are still dumb phones in the stores when my contract rolls over.

I'd rather have a phone that does phone stuff excellently than something that also does what my tablet does, but poorly.

IME, FF is often a case of cash, convenience, and compromise. FF is generally cheaper than a good meal, it is ubiquitously available and quickly served, and when trying to feed a group, FF joints offer something everyone can agree upon. While I would prefer to have a sushi plate or linguini with white clams, if I only have a half hour for lunch, that's probably not an option.
You know, I keep hearing people say that FF is cheap(er). I don't eat at FF restaurants, but a while ago I stopped in a McDonald's to take a piss. On my way out I looked at their menus, and I have to say, for the food they give you, they are overcharging you. The quantity and quality of food just isn't there to warrant what they charge. The only thing that seems to be worth it is the fountain drinks. You get free refills on those, but the rest of the meal? Nah...

The other night, when posting in gold's "What are you eating?" thread, I was in Whataburger eating a grilled chicken sandwich with fries. It wasn't the best chicken sandwich ever, but I didn't have to cook it, I didn't have to clean up my kitchen, and- of key importance- Whataburger was open. Most real restaurants were closed or closing.
I can understand that. Not all areas have restaurants that stay open all night. I'm fortunate enough to live somewhere that I can get pretty much anything I want at almost any time.

Further, McD's- or any other FF franchise with which you may be familiar- is a known quantity. If you're driving the interstate and its time to eat, DQ may not be as appealing as the adventure of Big Rudy's Smokehouse. OTOH, the adventure of Big Rudy's might be a long history of salmonella poisonings...not something you want with hours of driving ahead. Or Big Rudy might have a preference for classic Vegas stripper photos for his smokehouse...not something you want to explain to your kids.
I have an app on my phone that lets me check the health inspection reports of restaurants in Florida. You would be amazed at some of these reports. Some restaurants get multiple violations for the same thing... over and over. McDonald's, Burger King, Toxic Hell... they've all received violations. So have many other restaurants that you would assume would be clean.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
You know, I keep hearing people say that FF is cheap(er). I don't eat at FF restaurants, but a while ago I stopped in a McDonald's to take a piss. On my way out I looked at their menus, and I have to say, for the food they give you, they are overcharging you. The quantity and quality of food just isn't there to warrant what they charge. The only thing that seems to be worth it is the fountain drinks. You get free refills on those, but the rest of the meal? Nah...

But, that's part of the problem. A sit down restaurant charges you more and you get more food. If you're on the go that food either goes to waste or you overeat. At McDonald's you can get a small sandwich, small fry, and a drink off the dollar menu for $3. A satisfying amount of food for a third of the price of most sit down restaurants. Before you have to tip your server that is.

Because better food tends not to be driving-friendly.
Depends on the food. You can still get a quality burger at a place that isn't McDonald's. A wrap is pretty one-handed friendly. There are plenty of good meals that can be eaten while driving.
Also, phoning ahead while driving is dangerously stupid, IMO.
I agree. That's why any normal person would do it before they get in their car.
(See the next response before jumping on me.)
No!
Well, if you are going to handicap yourself, that's your problem. There are ways to get good food, you've just chosen to not use them.
No. ENWorld Chicago GameDay is too much fun to avoid. [/McDonald's quality plug]
Fixed that for you.
She can. She still hates cheese.
Definitely get rid of her.
I'm immune to advertising. Oh, look there's a little game in the ad banner where I have to throw a can of Cuke into a basket. Man I'm thirsty...
Cuke?
True. I just don't push it once they try and still don't like it. That was my dad's policy. The trust he placed in us as kids made me try things honestly, knowing that if I truly didn't like something he wouldn't force me to eat it. I ended up liking alot of things that other kids turned their noses up at. And he stayed true to his word, except when it came to sweet potatoes for some reason.

Why? He'd think kimchee and seaweed rolls were weird.
Because you'd be rid of two terrible people with horrible taste?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Vyvyan Basterd said:
...having to defend his reasons for occassionally eating fast food ...
If someone likes the food at a particular place, who is anyone to tell them they should find something "better"? I don't chide the girl in my office who drinks Starbucks every day that she should drink water -- it's free and good for you. She likes coffee. It'd be absurd for her to have to defend her choice to me just because I'm on a health kick and she likes her hot caffeine. I certainly wouldn't give her grief about it. Same with someone eating McDonald's. Why should they have to defend their taste to anyone? Why the hell should anyone else care?

Bullgrit

But, that's part of the problem. A sit down restaurant charges you more and you get more food. If you're on the go that food either goes to waste or you overeat. At McDonald's you can get a small sandwich, small fry, and a drink off the dollar menu for $3. A satisfying amount of food for a third of the price of most sit down restaurants. Before you have to tip your server that is.
Satisfying? I guess that depends what you are satisfying. Hunger? Maybe, but I doubt it. A craving? Sure, if it's a salt you are craving. As I said, for what they give you, they are overcharging you.

Remove ads