Do you have a local game store?

Do you have a local game store?

• Several, and more than one are excellent.

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • Several, and one is excellent.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • Several, and none are very good.

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • One, and it's excellent.

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • One, and it's not very good.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • No, but there used to be one.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • No, and there was one recently.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • No, and there wasn't one recently.

Votes: 18 12.2%

Glyfair

Explorer
Are we supposed to count board-game stores that cater to mall-cruisers only or comic stores that stock a few RPG books?

I edited the intiial post with some rough definitions. But, if you can walk into the store and expect to see RPGs being played or discussed, then it certain is a game store (whether it is Friendly or not, is subjective).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I edited the intiial post with some rough definitions. But, if you can walk into the store and expect to see RPGs being played or discussed, then it certain is a game store (whether it is Friendly or not, is subjective).
Well, didn't quite help me figure it out, but I decided to be inclusive anyway. ;) Voted several, but one excellent.

Glyfair

Explorer
Looking at what we have now, I see...

Slightly over half the participants have several games stores in their area (about 51%)

Another quarter have one game store in their area.

I think that either the death of the gaming store is exaggerated, or else it's somewhat clear that the existence of a gaming store adds to RPG culture in an area (or at least that segment which would visit ENWorld).

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I think that either the death of the gaming store is exaggerated, or else it's somewhat clear that the existence of a gaming store adds to RPG culture in an area (or at least that segment which would visit ENWorld).

We have three nearby (two being new, a couple/few more further out) in the Chicagoland area, as mentioned by Sundaram up thread, but we also just had a chain of gamestores go under that had 12+ stores (16, IIRC, in their heyday) and others having closed down over the past decade or so. There were probably a couple dozen or more in the Chicagoland area in the Eighties and early Nineties. There are, however, a handful of GW stores around, too.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post

I'm aware of at least two others that have died in my vicinity:

The late, lamented Fantasy Forum (I live *three* blocks from where it used to be),
and a store on top of the Rosslyn Metro.

However, FF died about 2000, the other one died in '96 or '97 or so; it existed when I visited in '96 and left my wallet there (which the proprietor kindly returned by mail), and wasn't there when I started at GWU in '97.

There may be others, as well.

Brad

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well here in Japan, I only know of two stores that sell English-language RPB books. One is in Tokyo (2 hours by bullet train one way) and the other is in Kobe (1 hour the other way) so I rely on Amazon Japan for my gaming needs. They have all the 3.5 and 4E WOTC stuff, but little past that.

Glyfair

Explorer
We have three nearby (two being new, a couple/few more further out) in the Chicagoland area, as mentioned by Sundaram up thread, but we also just had a chain of gamestores go under that had 12+ stores (16, IIRC, in their heyday) and others having closed down over the past decade or so. There were probably a couple dozen or more in the Chicagoland area in the Eighties and early Nineties. There are, however, a handful of GW stores around, too.
Perhaps I should have been more specific. Clearly many have died, with the switch to faceless internet companies like Amazon (which is even a "local" store for me since I drive by one of their warehouses every day to work).

Still, a much higher portion of people answering this poll have a local gaming store than I would have expected. Perhaps many of the failing stores are just the "extra" stores in the area.

Remove ads