Do you have a local game store?

Do you have a local game store?

• Several, and more than one are excellent.

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • Several, and one is excellent.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • Several, and none are very good.

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • One, and it's excellent.

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • One, and it's not very good.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • No, but there used to be one.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • No, and there was one recently.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • No, and there wasn't one recently.

Votes: 18 12.2%

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
There were a few that qualified as "local", but they've since closed or were comic/manga type stores that have since gotten rid of their gaming sections. The closest shop that sells RPG materials aside from Barnes and Noble or Borders is primarily a cigar and magazine shop that has a few shelves of RPGs. Not a FLGS in any sense.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
The two I can frequent are Dream Wizards, in Rockville, MD, and the Compleat Strategist location in Falls Church, VA.

Both are nice stores, but they're a pain to get to. I typically hit DW more often, since it's on my way home from work, and pick up Exalted and Shadowrun stuff there. My D&D stuff typically comes from Barnes & Noble, what with there being a location by my work and by my apartment, and because I have a discount.

Brad

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Are we supposed to count board-game stores that cater to mall-cruisers only or comic stores that stock a few RPG books?

In the greater Montreal area, there's around 5-6 gaming stores. I would say that there is 2 excellent FLGS, but one has an elitist attitude that rubs me the wrong way (even though they carry almost everything published in the US or Europe).

So even though I have excellent stores somewhat near me, I'm still choosing Amazon.ca over them. The price differences is just too much.

Which are the excellent ones, and which is elitist? I'm curious to find out. I'm quite fond of Le Valet d'Coeur, as they carry a lot and have cut me some deals in the past. Can't say I've been to others I've heard about in town, since they're out of walking distance. ;)

grodog

Hero
Wichita has two comic book stores that carry some RPG stuff (but not a ton in either case, and little in the way of early edition stuff either :( ), and two of the used bookstores carry some RPG books too, but again, their selections are not too great, and their stock doesn't turn over very quickly.

Le sigh. I miss living in San Jose, CA, where we had several really good game stores, and the used bookstores were even better!

drothgery

First Post
I know at least one exists in the area, but I always get gaming books from Amazon.com; I've only been there once and that was years ago.

On Puget Sound

First Post
In Ft Mill SC (suburb of Charlotte NC) we have a very friendly and well-stocked store with lots of playing space. It's called Above Board Games, and I play in a Wed night game and GM a Thurs night game there.

questing gm

First Post
There's currently one in my hometown but it sells mostly Magic. We had a couple over the years but they all closed down. Sadly, none of them ever carried RPGs. :(

Remove ads