Do you have a local game store?

Do you have a local game store?

• Several, and more than one are excellent.

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • Several, and one is excellent.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • Several, and none are very good.

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • One, and it's excellent.

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • One, and it's not very good.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • No, but there used to be one.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • No, and there was one recently.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • No, and there wasn't one recently.

Votes: 18 12.2%

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I suppose that the answers are going to be heavily influenced by where various forum members are living. If your in a decent sized city, you have a 'local' game store. If you have good transit and your not stuck way the hell out in suburbia, I suspect you can get to it easily enough.

I live in Montreal, and I have two gaming stores I can get to if I want to get D&D stuff. One is very near where I live, and excellent. The other is downtown and convenient enough for me to check out from time to time.

That just covers the ones I know about.

END COMMUNICATION

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Where is "Other"? Dang, you don't want me to vote on your poll?

There's a local shop around here which will close its doors end of July. They'll continue to run their online shop. The premises has been rented by the game shop and a separate comic shop, which closed end of April. I talked to the game shop owner about the situation and he believably explained that the shop's voulme was about one fourth of the online shop's. With the whole rent on their shoulders, the FLGS wouldn't make enough money to pay for that.

Roadkill101

Explorer
I live maybe three miles from The Bookery in Fairborn, Ohio. To the best of my knowledge it is the only gamestore to be found in Clark, Greene, Miami and Montgomery counties. There was aplace opened up called Wexham Hill a few years ago, but I no longer know if it is still in business. Both places cater(ed) heavily to Warhammer and other Mini-centric table-top games.
I was just in The Bookery this last weekend, it sucks for D&D products, as far as available content goes. They are down to just two small bookshelves for new products (one for books, the other mini's), and two slightly larger bookshelves for used and new Pen & Paper style games in general.
I've been going to the Bookery since 1991 or 92. Their location has changed 3 times, once to several blocks away on a new street, to across the street and recently right next door (actually it's more of an expansion, they changed to the next-door entrance and are using the older location for used books and comics). They used to have a lot of bookshelves devoted to Pen & Paper style games, but It's been shrinking over the years. I imagine poor sales have forced them to stock the products they sell best while reducing the space for less popular products.

NewJeffCT

First Post
used to have several - all closed in the past 2 years

I'm a bit west of Hartford, CT. There used to be two of them right in West Hartford, CT - War & Pieces and The Dragon's Lair. Both have closed within the past 2 years or so. War & Pieces had been around for ages - I'm 42, and I remember it from when I was a little kid.

Now, I have to drive about 45 minutes east to Time Machine in Manchester, CT. I think The Grid is still in Manchester, too, but I was never very impressed with their gaming stuff. Or, I can drive 45 minutes south to DJ's Comics in Wallingford or another place in Southington whose name I forget. Not sure how any of them are faring, though. Time Machine has stuff for every hobby, though: model rr, dolls, wargames, models, model airplanes, etc, etc.

The Games Workshop store in Manchester also closed up shop as well. Not a FLGS, but still a gaming store.

Remove ads