Do you incorporate errata?

Cruentus

Adventurer
When we had rules questions during play, or edge cases, or unclear situations (TTRPG, Board Game, Miniatures Game, etc.), I would (usually) be the one to go searching for an "official" errata or clarification. It would then be brought back to the group for us to discuss - and either adopt, or not.

In the earlier days of Dragon (Ad&d era) with "Sage Advice", I had a sub, and we were always referring to their FAQs and erratas. Primarily, IIRC, because we were playing a confrontational style of gaming - the DM was out to get us, and we were out to survive. So rules interpretations of grey areas mattered to us. Now, with age (and we still all game together 40 years later), it matters less. I'm more interested in interesting story/RP and emergent gameplay that I don't fuss with being exactly correct. Unless I'm asked to step back into "rules lawyer" mode. (And I will also note that my rules lawyering back then hurt the party (helped the DM), as much as the inverse. I was an equal opportunity rules lawyer :giggle:. I was the only one my DM and other players trusted to make an unbiased read of the various rules under discussion.)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I do not think I have ever incorporated errata with a TTRPG if I was running the game from the books. I think I have had players bring my attention to specific errata that impacts their characters and we may have incorporated that, but I don't have any strong memories of doing so.

When you have purchased a game in book format, dead tree or PDF (as opposed to on a VTT or service like DnDB), do you actively look for and "manually" incorporate errata into the rules? How often do you check? Do you incorporate it all, or just select bits? Does it change whether you are running versus playing the game? Does it depend on what game it is?
I'm like you. Never seek it out, but if a player brings it up, I'll incorporate it if it makes sense... I mean, I'm sort of ... ahem... flexible when it comes to the rules anyway

If it is errata that is incorporated into the pdf of a book or put into newer printings of a book? Of course. I am not about to have a fight with someone over which official version of a book is the valid one. And in general, newest printing/version trumps old.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I do not think I have ever incorporated errata with a TTRPG if I was running the game from the books. I think I have had players bring my attention to specific errata that impacts their characters and we may have incorporated that, but I don't have any strong memories of doing so.
I have strong memories. My AD&D 2nd books had plenty of notes - PHB and DMG.
When you have purchased a game in book format, dead tree or PDF (as opposed to on a VTT or service like DnDB), do you actively look for and "manually" incorporate errata into the rules? How often do you check? Do you incorporate it all, or just select bits? Does it change whether you are running versus playing the game? Does it depend on what game it is?
Oh boy...
Actively look? Hell no.
How often? When I find something that seems broken.
Incorporate? If it makes sense.
Matter if I'm running? Well, if I'm a PC, everything requires GM approval. I don't mess with GMs - they have a lot of work to do.
Depend on the game? Some games encourage modding. For these, there are no errata. There's just new, optional mods.

Alby87

Adventurer
I've printed a full page of "ERRATA" words on a sheet of paper. I cut one of it, and put in the book between the pages where the errata should be. Then I have the errata PDF page printed and put on the last page of the book.

aramis erak

Legend
I do incorporate official errata, but not unofficial. D&D 5E at first was a problem, because Mearls and Crawford both were generating competing rules calls... if it's simple, I write it in using pencil. If it's complex, I instead redo the table... and put it in my cheat sheets.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
During my time as a 4e DM, I tried to keep up with WotC's phantom release, "The Complete Errata Handbook", but eventually gave up when they started updating the same item more than once. In general I use the book I have, and talk to my players if and when something they have causes a discrepancy (in either direction). I would in most cases prefer that errata be used only in the case of genuine mistakes, however, and not changes in policy or design philosophy. If you change how you want to present something, write a new book please.

Remove ads