• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you like edition wars?

Do you like edition wars?

• Yes! Bring it on beeyatch!

Votes: 47 24.0%
  • No, they should all be banned!

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Meh.

Votes: 65 33.2%
  • Lemony Snickett

Votes: 22 11.2%

FireLance

Legend
Hah, of course not. By "worst offenders" I'm talking, like, near Razz-level insanity. I think Razz did end up banned, actually, but most of the comparable people hide their nonsense behind a thin veil of reasonability (or in one case, behind what I sincerely hope is only the pretense of being completely clueless, because it depresses me to think that such a person might actually exist).
Nobody like that could possibly exist. Just ... nobody.

Nobody like that could possibly exist. Just ... nobody.
834380281_l.png

You magnificent bastard!

Brennin Magalus

First Post
As a 3e partisan, I like them, to an extent. Of course, in the end, you are unlikely to change anyone's mind, but if you are in it for the love of arguing, then the lack of edition converts don't make no nevermind. :)

RFisher

Explorer
As a 3e partisan, I like them, to an extent. Of course, in the end, you are unlikely to change anyone's mind, but if you are in it for the love of arguing, then the lack of edition converts don't make no nevermind. :)

Winning converts isn’t the goal. Or at least it isn’t the reward. The reward is a better understanding of the games, your enjoyment of them, and other people’s enjoyment of them.

I might not convince you to not play 3e, but I may give you an idea for how to handle something in 3e in a different way that you like better. Or maybe you have something in common with one of my players and by understanding your preferences I learn how to tweak my game a bit to make it more enjoyable for that player.

The problem of "Edition Wars" can be if it goes to the extreme that you don't dare to talk about valid critic in your system. Because it weakens your position and it's basically an act of treason that might cost you the war.

Maybe that is the fine line between "Edition Comparisons" and "Edition Wars".

maddman75

First Post
Edition wars can be healthy and informative. They can help you get into not only what people like, but how and why they play. They can also help you see both the good and bad of a game.

They get bad when passion overtakes reason and it gets personal. But even then I just laugh when someone gets their panties in a twist, vehemently insisting that "YOUR WAY OF PRETENDING TO BE AN ELF IS MORALLY INFERIOR TO MINE!" I laugh at some quality nerdrage. :)

RFisher

Explorer
But even then I just laugh when someone gets their panties in a twist, vehemently insisting that "YOUR WAY OF PRETENDING TO BE AN ELF IS MORALLY INFERIOR TO MINE!" I laugh at some quality nerdrage. :)

Right. Now just imagine that it’s John Cleese screaming that at Michael Palin.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads