D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 245 54.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 207 45.8%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That green slime was made a hazard does ring a bell but I forget from which edition(s).

It's an interesting change because previously one, if suspicious, could cast Detect Life (or similar) to determine if that slime was the living dangerous sort. As a hazard, Detect Life won't pull it.
I think it would still work. The 5e hazard has no hit points, but it does have blindsight and deliberately drops on those passing under it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Really, it's never been anything more than a hazard. It was just a creature hazard in 1e that dissolved you and a hazard hazard in 5e that dissolves you. It really should have been a hazard hazard in 1e as well.
My earliest memory of D&D is having a green slime fall on my fighter's helm and me having to cut the chin-straps and toss the helm aside. Getting close to 40 years ago. Good times.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Curious- are you talking about the idea of going prone on purpose in the air, or simply ignoring that part of the prone condition entirely?

Because a similar situation can happen if you are knocked prone while swimming.

I mostly bring this up because if the bullet point regarding ranged attacks is intended to reflect being prone on the ground, then there really should be a separate condition for other situations, like how a rider could be knocked prone, make their save to remain in the saddle, and be prone on the back of a horse, which I'm not sure should make you a harder target to hit or not (you haven't become a smaller target, though I suppose it's easier to hit the horse than the rider in such a situation).
It, like much of this part of the thread, is a rulings over rules situation. I would not give the flying prone creature protection against missile fire, but would automatically extend it to swimmers who were not prone, as well as those who somehow end up proner(yes I know this isn't a word :p ).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What if the ooze happens to be a Plasmoid while they're in a more humanoid form?
They stiffen their outer layer to assume humanoid form, which means they can be knocked over. This is backed up by the shape self requirement of an action to assume a different shape. They are locked into the humanoid shape until they change it.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
It, like much of this part of the thread, is a rulings over rules situation. I would not give the flying prone creature protection against missile fire, but would automatically extend it to swimmers who were not prone, as well as those who somehow end up proner(yes I know this isn't a word :p ).
I'm picturing the various nearly flat fish and other aquatic types (some vertical, some horizontal). Hard to hit from front, back, top, or bottom... but get that side view and bam.

1714077410404.png

It shouldn't, but WotC is too obsessed with simplicity to make the distinction.
So lets take a look at the ad&d one...

It specifies that it can be hit by any weapon woth normal effect. So how exactly is WotC obsessed with simplicity?

It seems you are obsessed to blame WotC for things you don't agree with.

Remove ads