D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 250 54.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 211 45.8%

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Without emphasizing that the other players agreed with you against the one you would boot, you made it sound like you too were doing my way or the highway.
you don’t even need to consider anyone else. Just consider how those conversations are actually going to go.

DM - that ability doesn’t work under these circumstances
Player - but the ability doesn’t list those restrictions
DM - fictional position is always a valid reason to deny ability use, and besides you agreed that I would be dm and thus make such decisions

Option 1) Player - I disagree with this one but let’s continue playing.
Option 2) Player - I disagree with this one and refuse to continue playing.

What else do you do to an option 2 player?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
you don’t even need to consider anyone else. Just consider how those conversations are actually going to go.

DM - that ability doesn’t work under these circumstances
Player - but the ability doesn’t list those restrictions
DM - fictional position is always a valid reason to deny ability use, and besides you agreed that I would be dm and thus make such decisions

Option 1) Player - I disagree with this one but let’s continue playing.
Option 2) Player - I disagree with this one and refuse to continue playing.

What else do you do to an option 2 player?
That's a bit more abrupt than I was picturing the interaction (It kind of feels like player 1 failed their charisma check and player 2 rolled a one.)

Oofta

Legend
That's a bit more abrupt than I was picturing the interaction (It kind of feels like player 1 failed their charisma check and player 2 rolled a one.)
I have basically had this conversation with a player on a different topic. Admittedly there was a bit more discussion but it doesn't really change the gist.

I simply wasn't providing the game they wanted to play so we parted ways amicably.

mamba

Legend
So why, when the player says their PC thinks a ship with which they're familiar (the Comox) frequents this harbor, are you, the DM, telling them they're mistaken? At the very least, this means the player is playing a character with faulty recollections, which is probably not the player's intention, and, even worse, implies the DM is more of an authority about what the PC thinks than the player, which steps all over the notion the player is responsible for that aspect of roleplaying their character.
the character can think what they want, but that does not change the world. If a character thinks a ship stops here, it does not alter the world and make that ship stop here, they are simply either correct or mistaken.

It's not surprising, from your earlier posts, that you seem to favor scenarios in which the PCs are in completely unfamiliar territory, as this would seem to support the players playing their PCs as people who don't know anything, which I think is the natural outcome of having to ask the DM if it's okay for your PC to know something.
eh, of course your PC can know things, like ‘if I stick this Orc with my sword, it will die’, to stick with your example, but if you find yourself on a plane you have never been to and then tell me about the local ship routes, I can only question your sanity…

mamba

Legend
These are rules for playing an actual game. If a problem doesn't arise in actual gameplay, then a problem doesn't exist.
a problem does arise, namely that the feature working is nonsensical. If that is no problem for you, knock yourself out, it is one for me.

I am with @Oofta on this
I would find such a campaign silly and not one I could take seriously

Faolyn

(she/her)
We just run our games differently. I don't care what the text says, logic and building a believable world take priority. There is no way a sailor has connections in every port around the world much less other pocket dimensions, planes of existence or even alternate universes.

I would find such a campaign silly and not one I could take seriously. I'm done.
Who said anything about pocket dimensions, planes of existence, or alternate universes?

I think we've pinpointed the source of your problem. You simply aren't reading the same thing everyone else is reading.

Remove ads