• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

The Soloist

Adventurer
I sold my 5e books in 2019. My mind says no more D&D, but my heart is not there yet. I know, I'm a sucker for new editions. I voted yes but I'll wait until the MM is out in 2025 before making a final decision.

EDIT: I changed my vote to no. Shadow of the Weird Wizard is the cause. I'll give my money to them.

Last edited:

As of right now, no. I'm just not interested in paying WOTC for what seemingly seems to be errata.
I am really sorry. But what you call errata has a 2 year research and development phase. It has a lot of new art and a lot of people employed. Just calling it errata is disengenious.
Just wanting someone to do all that work for free is quite egoistic.

If you like it, buy it. If not, don't. But it is not something they owe you.

People with the "I want everything for free" mentality are an actual reason why small producers struggle. If you want people to do the job for you*, pay them.

*if it is just errata, make your own houserules to fix it. Should be a simple thing.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
Haven’t decided yet, I am in no rush to get it. Ideally there is a CC SRD first, at a minimum all three core books are out first.

I will look at it and alternatives, chances are it will end up a homebrew mix with little 2024 influence.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
I'm largely in the middle. I am content with my current game and will keep playing as is. I'm already working on adding content from both Kobold Press and Level Up 5E (My party just fought some L5E Cockatrices, cockatrix? tonight).

With that said I intend on keeping an open heart and mind about it. If I read/hear about any cool new additions I may try integrating them into my game. If I find enough extra stuff I like I'll probably grab a book.

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm largely in the middle. I am content with my current game and will keep playing as is. I'm already working on adding content from both Kobold Press and Level Up 5E (My party just fought some L5E Cockatrices, cockatrix? tonight).

With that said I intend on keeping an open heart and mind about it. If I read/hear about any cool new additions I may try integrating them into my game. If I find enough extra stuff I like I'll probably grab a book.
I like your mindset!

I'm in a similar boat. I think WotC's effort includes a few quality-of-life changes with a whooooole lot of marketing and pretty art. Which is fine and I hope it does well, but they're not selling me on it – especially not with the combination of increased book prices along with more cardboard / weaker writing*. Also, I personally found their public-facing playtest really goofy. So I'm already hacking 5e how I like it.

As a secondary issue – but it has to be said – I really don't like Hasbro's corporate moves recently, and their decisions are actually harming my interest in supporting D&D.

* This is not a knock against increased prices because I believe most RPG products have been underpriced (and the designers underpaid) for too long – rather it's a knock against the quality of said products compared to what I'm seeing in the indie/3rd party space.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, some of them, but not all.

I will not be adopting free floating ASIs at first level; the shift from magic b/p/s damage to other damage types; the incoming abundance of force damage, temporary hit points, and teleportation; the shift from legendary actions to multiple reactions; guns as standard equipment; buffs to cantrips and other forms of spellcaster power creep; more healing power creep; and other changes that actively make the game worse (in my opinion).

I will almost certainly include the new weapon mastery rules. There are probably a bunch of other changes that I'll include, but it will be case by case, not wholesale.

IF the final version of the 2024 rules seems like a significant improvement and scales back the things I don't like, I might include most of it, but at this point I am about 90% certain that it will include fairly major elements that I will not use.
TBH, other than new people starting, based on my experience starting in the 3.5 era I think this will be normal: the new rules really are plug and play.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
I like your mindset!

I'm in a similar boat. I think WotC's effort includes a few quality-of-life changes with a whooooole lot of marketing and pretty art. Which is fine and I hope it does well, but they're not selling me on it – especially not with the combination of increased book prices along with more cardboard / weaker writing*. Also, I personally found their public-facing playtest really goofy. So I'm already hacking 5e how I like it.

As a secondary issue – but it has to be said – I really don't like Hasbro's corporate moves recently, and their decisions are actually harming my interest in supporting D&D.

* This is not a knock against increased prices because I believe most RPG products have been underpriced (and the designers underpaid) for too long – rather it's a knock against the quality of said products compared to what I'm seeing in the indie/3rd party space.
That's one of the greatest things about this hobbies. Ideas are totally free. If I hear about a rule change or something that I like.. I don't need to adopt 5.5e totally to adopt that one rule. I can just pitch it to my players and plug it in to my existing game.

I feel the same about WoTC. I'm a Magic the Gathering player, and over the last year or two I've been really turned off by a lot of the choices WoTC has made in that area, and it's hard to separate that from my feelings about D&D.

WoTC has earned their reputation, and with that I won't be rushing out to buy any of their products day one any more.. But that doesn't mean I will write them off all together. I'm just going to be much more critical with how I spend my money.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Judging by how things look so far, yes, though I will only get the PHB upon release. Might be multiple years for the other two.

It’s just more 5e, but with patch fixes on some real pain points, so I can’t imagine why I wouldn’t.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Judging by how things look so far, yes, though I will only get the PHB upon release. Might be multiple years for the other two.

It’s just more 5e, but with patch fixes on some real pain points, so I can’t imagine why I wouldn’t.
To be honest, while I plan to get all 3, I think the priority for me is the oppoaite: I want the DMG, MM, and PHB in order of priority.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads