• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 230 46.7%

Greg K

Legend
That's a solid list of my own 3pp, such that I now want to look into the ones on your list that aren't on mine.
Here is a huge list of 3pp material that I like (note: I still have some other things to checkout including the Shaman class by Ross Leiser, the Alchemist class by Taron Pounds, and several monster related books (e.g. Home Field Advantage, Bloodied & Bruised))
Races
Classes: subclasses and material for existing classes
  • ENWorld
    • These are free and, if I run 5e, the Light Fighter Variant, and Complete Handbook conversions are pretty guaranteed to be used.
    • Cleric
      • Complete Priest's Handbook Conversionby Jacob Driscoll (ENWorld poster I'm a Banana)
        • A conversion of the 2e Complete Cleric's Handbook
        • Kits become suggested builds
          • Suggested Builds
            • Amazon Priestess, Barbarian Priest, Noble Priest, Outlaw Priest, Paleo Priest (in 2e was Savage Priest), Peasant Priest, Prophet, Scholar Priest
        • Spheres become Priesthoods
          • Priesthoods
            • Uses the Adept Background to create Priesthoods and tailor Domains
            • 50 sample Priesthoods
        • New Feat:
          • Martial Arts Adept
    • Fighter
      • Light Fighter Variantby Khaalis (Note: You you need an ENWorld account to access this item)
        • Contains a Light Armored variant for the Fighter
        • New Subclasses:
          • Brawler, Corsair, Duelist, Gallant, Kensai, Musketeer
        • New Fighting Styles
          • Brawling, Firearms, Precision
        • New Maneuvers
          • Gibing Insult, Plunging Assault, Incapaciting Strike
        • New Feat
          • Firearms Expert
        • New Weapons
        • New Weapon Qualities
      • Complete Fighters Handbook Conversion by Jacob Driscoll (ENWorld poster I'm a Banana)
        • A conversion of the 2e Complete Fighter's Handbook
          • 2e Kits are Suggested Builds
            • Due to 5e classes, backgrounds and feats, these are better handled than their 2e counterparts
            • Suggested Builds:
              • Amazon, Barbarian, Beast-Rider, Berserker, Cavalier, Gladiator, Myrmidon, Noble Warrior, Outlaw, Peasant Warrior, Paleo Warrior (in 2e was Savage Kit), Samurai, Swashbuckler, Nomad (in 2e was Wilderness Warrior).
          • New Armor and Weapons
          • New Rules:
            • Revised Armor and Weapon crafting
          • New Fighting Styles:
            • Gladiator, Kiai
          • New Backgrounds:
            • Amazon
          • Alternate Background Features
          • New Feats:
            • Courtly Grace, Farmer, Fisher, Great Endurance, Saddlemaster, Totemic Companion, Tumbler
    • Rogue
      • Complete Thief's Handbook Conversionby Jacob Driscoll (ENWorld poster I'm a Banana)
        • A conversion of the 2e Complete Thief's Handbook
            • Due to 5e classes, backgrounds and feats, these are better handled than their 2e counterparts
            • Suggested Builds
              • Acrobatic, Adventurer, Assassin, Bandit, Buccaneer, Burglar, Cutpurse, Fence, Investigator, Smuggler, Spy, Swashbuckler, Swindler, Thug, Troubleshoter
          • New Equipment including new Tools
          • New Magic Items
          • New Backgrounds:
            • Brigand, Inspector
          • New Feats:
            • Ambusher, Climbing Combatant, Duelist, Eye For Value, Observant, Poisoner, Tumbler, Vaulter, Well-Balanced
  • Forgot My Dice Website
    • More free stuff
    • Bard
      • Bard College: College of Folklore (inspired by a mixture of Disney Princess and Brothers Grimm collector of tales)
    • Fighter
    • Monk
      • Way of the Shark: inspired by warriors of Polynesian cultures. It demonstrates my dislike for the Monk class with anything martial arts and "ki" (or in this case "mana") fueled abiities being lumped under the Monk in D&D (both officially and unofficially). However, I like the concept behind it.
    • Warlock
  • Mage Hand Press website (for new classes see new class section)
    • Fighter subclasses: the following subclasses
      • Corsair
      • Fencer
      • Gladiator
      • Hospitaler
      • Kensai
      • Myrmidon
      • Pugilist
  • Tribality Website
  • Wrath of Zombie
    • Sorcerer
  • Drivethru RPG
  • Dungeon Master's Guild
Classes (revised)
  • GMBinder
    • Martial Ranger (by Agenderarcee): the base ranger is a non-spellcasters. Druidic spellcasting is gained by the Warden subclass
Classes(New):
  • Dungeon Master's Guild
    • The Scholar (Kyle Grant)
      • Subclasses: Explorer, Inventor, Philosopher, Physician, Planar Sage, Tactician
    • Shaman Class (Michael Wolf)
      • This might be my favorite take on a Shaman class for D&D after Steve Kenson's 3e version in Green Ronin's Shaman's Handbook
      • Subclasses: Speaker of Ancestors, Speaker of Dreams, Speaker of Flames, Speaker of Stones, Speaker of Waters, Speaker of Winds
    • The Warlod (Jody Lee Johnson)
      • Subclassses: Beast Handler, Chevalier, Commander, Diplomat, Healer, Skald
    • The Witch (Walrock Homebrew)
      • My favorite D&D Witch class is Steve Kenson's 3e Witch in Green Ronin's Witch's Handbook. My second favorite is Witches by Mayfair games for AD&D. However, this may be favorite take for 5e. It also received a great review from game designer Tim Brannan, who worked on the Buffy RPG and has written Witch classes for numerous OSR D&D games.
      • Subclasses: Coven of the Dark Moon, Coven of the Full Moon, Coven of the Half Moon, Coven of the Cresent Moon, Coven of the Moon
    • Sterling Vermin
      • Avenger (free on company site)
      • Sorcerer, Revisited (free)
      • Pugilist (based on free preview)
      • Scholar (based on free preview)
  • Mage Hand Press website: new classes
    • Alchemist class: A collected and expanded version, Complete Alchemist,is for sale on Drivethrurpg (note: I am not a fan of the capstone)
      • Subclasses: Apothecary, Bowgunner, Mad Bomber, Mutagenic
      • Complete Alchemist adds the Amorist, Dynamo Engineer, Ionizer, Ooze Rancher, Venomsmith, Xenoalchemist.
    • Captain class
      • Subclasses: Eagle Banner, Jolly Roger, Star Wolf Banner, Wolf Banner
    • Witch class: A collected and expanded version, Complete Witch, is for sale on Drivethrurpg
      • Subclasses: White Magic, Green Magic, Red Magic, Black Magic
      • Complete Witch also includes Blood Magic, Blue Magic, Fragrant Magic, Gingerbread Magic, Lunar Magic, Purple Magic, Sky Magic, Steel Magic, Tea Magic, Technicolor Magic
Other
  • Dungeon Master's Guild
    • 5MWD
      • Variant Rules
      • Legendary Monsters
    • Walrock Homebrew
      • Codex of Waves
      • Fortresses, Temples, and Strongholds
      • Traders and Merchants

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Here is a huge list of 3pp material that I like (note: I still have some other things to checkout including the Shaman class by Ross Leiser, the Alchemist class by Taron Pounds, and several monster related books (e.g. Home Field Advantage, Bloodied & Bruised))
Races
Classes: subclasses and material for existing classes
  • ENWorld
    • These are free and, if I run 5e, the Light Fighter Variant, and Complete Handbook conversions are pretty guaranteed to be used.
    • Cleric
      • Complete Priest's Handbook Conversionby Jacob Driscoll (ENWorld poster I'm a Banana)
        • A conversion of the 2e Complete Cleric's Handbook
        • Kits become suggested builds
          • Suggested Builds
            • Amazon Priestess, Barbarian Priest, Noble Priest, Outlaw Priest, Paleo Priest (in 2e was Savage Priest), Peasant Priest, Prophet, Scholar Priest
        • Spheres become Priesthoods
          • Priesthoods
            • Uses the Adept Background to create Priesthoods and tailor Domains
            • 50 sample Priesthoods
        • New Feat:
          • Martial Arts Adept
    • Fighter
      • Light Fighter Variantby Khaalis (Note: You you need an ENWorld account to access this item)
        • Contains a Light Armored variant for the Fighter
        • New Subclasses:
          • Brawler, Corsair, Duelist, Gallant, Kensai, Musketeer
        • New Fighting Styles
          • Brawling, Firearms, Precision
        • New Maneuvers
          • Gibing Insult, Plunging Assault, Incapaciting Strike
        • New Feat
          • Firearms Expert
        • New Weapons
        • New Weapon Qualities
      • Complete Fighters Handbook Conversion by Jacob Driscoll (ENWorld poster I'm a Banana)
        • A conversion of the 2e Complete Fighter's Handbook
            • Suggested Builds:
              • Amazon, Barbarian, Beast-Rider, Berserker, Cavalier, Gladiator, Myrmidon, Noble Warrior, Outlaw, Peasant Warrior, Paleo Warrior (in 2e was Savage Kit), Samurai, Swashbuckler, Nomad (in 2e was Wilderness Warrior).
          • New Armor and Weapons
          • New Rules:
            • Revised Armor and Weapon crafting
          • New Fighting Styles:
            • Gladiator, Kiai
          • New Backgrounds:
            • Amazon
          • Alternate Background Features
          • New Feats:
            • Courtly Grace, Farmer, Fisher, Great Endurance, Saddlemaster, Totemic Companion, Tumbler
    • Rogue
      • Complete Thief's Handbook Conversionby Jacob Driscoll (ENWorld poster I'm a Banana)
        • A conversion of the 2e Complete Thief's Handbook
            • Suggested Builds
              • Acrobatic, Adventurer, Assassin, Bandit, Buccaneer, Burglar, Cutpurse, Fence, Investigator, Smuggler, Spy, Swashbuckler, Swindler, Thug, Troubleshoter
          • New Equipment including new Tools
          • New Magic Items
          • New Backgrounds:
            • Brigand, Inspector
          • New Feats:
            • Ambusher, Climbing Combatant, Duelist, Eye For Value, Observant, Poisoner, Tumbler, Vaulter, Well-Balanced
  • Forgot My Dice Website
    • More free stuff
    • Bard
      • Bard College: College of Folklore (inspired by a mixture of Disney Princess and Brothers Grimm collector of tales)
    • Fighter
    • Monk
      • Way of the Shark: inspired by warriors of Polynesian cultures. It demonstrates my dislike for the Monk class with anything martial arts and "ki" (or in this case "mana") fueled abiities being lumped under the Monk in D&D (both officially and unofficially). However, I like the concept behind it.
    • Warlock
  • Mage Hand Press website (for new classes see new class section)
    • Fighter subclasses: the following subclasses
      • Corsair
      • Fencer
      • Gladiator
      • Hospitaler
      • Kensai
      • Myrmidon
      • Pugilist
  • Tribality Website
  • Wrath of Zombie
    • Sorcerer
  • Drivethru RPG
  • Dungeon Master's Guild
Classes (revised)
  • GMBinder
    • Martial Ranger (by Agenderarcee): the base ranger is a non-spellcasters. Druidic spellcasting is gained by the Warden subclass
Classes(New):
  • Dungeon Master's Guild
    • The Scholar (Kyle Grant)
      • Subclasses: Explorer, Inventor, Philosopher, Physician, Planar Sage, Tactician
    • Shaman Class (Michael Wolf)
      • This might be my favorite take on a Shaman class for D&D after Steve Kenson's 3e version in Green Ronin's Shaman's Handbook
      • Subclasses: Speaker of Ancestors, Speaker of Dreams, Speaker of Flames, Speaker of Stones, Speaker of Waters, Speaker of Winds
    • The Warlod (Jody Lee Johnson)
      • Subclassses: Beast Handler, Chevalier, Commander, Diplomat, Healer, Skald
    • The Witch (Walrock Homebrew)
      • My favorite D&D Witch class is Steve Kenson's 3e Witch in Green Ronin's Witch's Handbook. My second favorite is Witches by Mayfair games for AD&D. However, this may be favorite take for 5e. It also received a great review from game designer Tim Brannan, who worked on the Buffy RPG and has written Witch classes for numerous OSR D&D games.
      • Subclasses: Coven of the Dark Moon, Coven of the Full Moon, Coven of the Half Moon, Coven of the Cresent Moon, Coven of the Moon
    • Sterling Vermin
      • Avenger (free on company site)
      • Sorcerer, Revisited (free)
      • Pugilist (based on free preview)
      • Scholar (based on free preview)
  • Mage Hand Press website: new classes
    • Alchemist class: A collected (and expanded?) version, Complete Alchemist,is for sale on Drivethrurpg (note: I am not a fan of the capstone)
    • Captain class
    • Witch class: A collected (and expanded?) version, Complete Witch, is for sale on Drivethrurpg
Other
  • Dungeon Master's Guild
    • 5MWD
      • Variant Rules
      • Legendary Monsters
    • Walrock Homebrew
      • Codex of Waves
      • Fortresses, Temples, and Strongholds
      • Traders and Merchants
This is amazing! Thank you!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You can compromise binaries like the 2014 vs. 2024 smites. Perhaps you allow it to remain choosable free after a hit like 2014, but limit it to 1 per round like 2024. House rules allow you to compromise things like that.

Not that I disagree with the concept that some things are going to be yes or no, but I think most things like that can be compromised similarly to the above example. House rules do wonders.
You assume that I don't view that part as being equally important to fix as the smite spam. Your "compromise" is still capitulation from the gm because the player only getting part of what was broken but fixed with an edition change is giving up nothing. Also, he more complicated it gets the more doors are being opened to the insanity unintended combos to discard barriers and gain extra unforseen power.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You assume that I don't view that part as being equally important to fix as the smite spam. Your "compromise" is still capitulation from the gm because the player only getting part of what was broken but fixed with an edition change is giving up nothing. Also, he more complicated it gets the more doors are being opened to the insanity unintended combos to discard barriers and gain extra unforseen power.
You don't get to decide what's broken and what isn't in a general sense. "Broken" is subjective and I don't view how it is right now as broken, let alone a reduction to once per round.

It's a compromise because...............both sides compromised. Just because you wouldn't do it that way doesn't stop it from being a compromise, nor is that the only way to compromise that situation.

In my example there was no capitulation.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You don't get to decide what's broken and what isn't in a general sense. "Broken" is subjective and I don't view how it is right now as broken, let alone a reduction to once per round.

It's a compromise because...............both sides compromised. Just because you wouldn't do it that way doesn't stop it from being a compromise, nor is that the only way to compromise that situation.

In my example there was no capitulation.
When I'm the GM yes, I absolutely get to decide what is and is not broken for the game I plan to run.. That is very much not a responsibility left to an individual player to decide for their gm. If a player doesn't like that they should admit it and find another table with a GM who allows that.

You've no more demonstrated a compromise than is demonstrated in a child getting an Xbox on Christmas morning from Santa after very clearly stating on their letter to Santa that they wanted an Xbox PlayStation and iPad. This kind of "the GM will run the game I want how I want and allow what I want or they are being unreasonable" attitude is not a reasonable one for a player to hold.

mamba

Legend
You've no more demonstrated a compromise than is demonstrated in a child getting an Xbox on Christmas morning from Santa after very clearly stating on their letter to Santa that they wanted an Xbox PlayStation and iPad.
getting one out of three things is a compromise. Wanting an Xbox and getting a Gameboy is a compromise.

The only reason it is no compromise in your example is because the kid did not negotiate and reach an agreement with Santa.

Let’s turn this around, if that was no compromise, then what is one?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
When I'm the GM yes, I absolutely get to decide what is and is not broken for the game I plan to run.. That is very much not a responsibility left to an individual player to decide for their gm. If a player doesn't like that they should admit it and find another table with a GM who allows that.
We aren't discussing your game. We are discussing compromise in general. What you would do personally isn't relevant to whether or not a player and a DM can come to a compromise.

They can. Even on most things that you personally find to be binary.
You've no more demonstrated a compromise than is demonstrated in a child getting an Xbox on Christmas morning from Santa after very clearly stating on their letter to Santa that they wanted an Xbox PlayStation and iPad. This kind of "the GM will run the game I want how I want and allow what I want or they are being unreasonable" attitude is not a reasonable one for a player to hold.
The compromise I posted was objectively compromise. Both sides met towards the middle and did not insist on their way. That's 100% what compromise is.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
We aren't discussing your game. We are discussing compromise in general. What you would do personally isn't relevant to whether or not a player and a DM can come to a compromise.

They can. Even on most things that you personally find to be binary.

The compromise I posted was objectively compromise. Both sides met towards the middle and did not insist on their way. That's 100% what compromise is.
No. We are discussing a hypothetical GM deciding what is right for the game they want to run and since you tried to claim that I couldn't decide thatI pointed out that I very much can when I am the GM but would be wildly out of bounds when I am a player. Little Timmy has no more engaged in a compromise with santa when he unwraps only an xbox on christmas morning than the player in your example where the GM shifts from not allowing 2014 stuff to onlly allowing half of what was fixed.... Both Timmy & the player had no ability to give themselves the thing they wanted but unlike Timmy the player has the option to say "this is not the game for me I'm going to find a table that allows 2014 stuff mixed wuth 2024 stuff".

Remove ads